PDA

View Full Version : Low(er) budget paleo...

David Aguasca
09-28-2007, 03:41 PM
If you had to pick a handful of items to buy to keep a relatively paleo diet, what would they be? For example...i can't afford nut butters, so i buy peanut butter. where is money best spent?

Jordan Glasser
09-28-2007, 04:16 PM
cans of tuna
olive oil
whatever frozen veggies are on special

I stopped buying nut butters, and it's amazing how far I can get on a bottle of olive oil.

Troy Archie
09-28-2007, 07:28 PM
it's amazing how far I can get on a bottle of olive oil.

Bingo.

I find those whole roaster chickens to be a pretty good deal. roast one of them up and get a weeks worth of chicken.

Eggs are also inexpensive, especially if you know a farmer.

Steve Liberati
09-28-2007, 08:05 PM
grassfed meat in bulk.

Mike ODonnell
09-28-2007, 08:19 PM
$1 Double cheeseburgers from McDonalds :D

Steve Liberati
09-28-2007, 08:48 PM
$1 Double cheeseburgers from McDonalds :D

I wouldn't even step foot in that place if the turtle is literally popping his head out and the next closest public restroom isn't miles away.

Jordan Glasser
09-29-2007, 12:01 AM
I wouldn't even step foot in that place if the turtle is literally popping his head out and the next closest public restroom isn't miles away.

Are you kidding me! That's the only time I step foot in there....and it's payback!

Steve Liberati
09-29-2007, 06:32 AM
ha never thought about it that way.

oh sweet revenge!

Garrett Smith
09-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Eggs, meats, veggies, oils. Shop around.

All the other stuff (nuts, seeds, fruit) gets pretty dang expensive.

David Aguasca
09-29-2007, 09:15 AM
cool...so i take it that omega-3 eggs and grass-fed beef are the best investments? what is the chicken equivalent of grass-fed beef?

i've already eliminated grains from my diet, and no legumes except for peanuts. i get raw almonds, pecans, and walnuts from costco, eat beef, chicken, spinach, peppers, broccoli, fruit occasionally, canned tuna, and i eat eggs every day.

thanks for responses, everyone.

oh, and the only times i ever go in Mickey D's and Starbucks is to drop the kids off at the pool. some starbucks will also give you free glasses of tap water if you ask for it.

Garrett Smith
09-30-2007, 07:31 AM
The chicken equivalent is pastured chicken. If you buy it in bulk, it may not be too much more than beef, although I could be wrong.

I got my pastured turkey from www.texasgrassfedbeef.com and Ted Slanker.

Virginia Smith
10-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi, new here, but I don't know who decided that nut butters were necessary.

Use the money for other stuff, like meat or actual nuts.

Processed foods = extra $$, almost by definition.

V

David Aguasca
10-10-2007, 08:15 PM
not necessary...but helpful, as they're easier to eat in large quantities than their respective nuts (at least it seems that way)

i struggle to keep weight on, especially during the winter, so i intake every calorie i can get my hands on.

Troy Archie
10-10-2007, 08:54 PM
i struggle to keep weight on, especially during the winter, so i intake every calorie i can get my hands on.

Do you do any fasting? This will sound insane but consider trying some IF'n if you have problems keeping on weight. This sounds insane I'm sure but most IF'ers have/are finding that they need less calories while IF'n...

David Aguasca
10-11-2007, 09:13 AM
no, i don't do any fasting. it'd be a difficult transition for me, though, i can't seem to eat very much at one sitting, so a 5hr eating window would probably leave me in a calorie deficit.

unless i drank a bottle of olive oil or something.

Troy Archie
10-11-2007, 09:39 AM

join the club

David Aguasca
10-11-2007, 02:01 PM
join the club

lol. i see.

John Alston
10-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Bingo.
I find those whole roaster chickens to be a pretty good deal. roast one of them up and get a weeks worth of chicken.

Man, I'm lucky if I get a weekEND out of a chicken...

Best paleo on a budget tip I can think of is Costco. Vats of olive oil, cheap fish oil, massive freezable meats and veggies. Man, I need to go back...

Eva Claire Synkowski
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
no, i don't do any fasting. it'd be a difficult transition for me, though, i can't seem to eat very much at one sitting, so a 5hr eating window would probably leave me in a calorie deficit.

i saw your other thread that youre trying this... but you're feeding window doesn't have to be as short as five hours for IF. and i think what troy was getting at is that you can likely eat less (save on money!) and keep the mass with IF (as several ppl have noticed).

a little different angle - but dr mike had an interesting post back in sept about his caloric "deficit" according to usda but yet wasn't shedding mass

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=937

Mike ODonnell
10-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Loss of mass is more tied to protein turnover and utlization....or should I say loss of "muscle"...otherwise you lose fat or water. Calories help keep the metabolism going, immune system strong, muscle repair process going, hormone production strong, etc.....Having calories is essential to keeping you healthy and also productive duing the day vs loss of muscle. Losing muscle means you are breaking down muscle faster than you can repair it which is usually always tied to lacking amino acids. During the fasting the muscle sparing systems kick in and can recycle old muscle and tissue and supply those aminos for a "short" window....hence why you don't want to fast long periods of time (days) if muscle building or maintaining is your goal.

I know this is not 100% paleo or ideal but it's a cycling process for me, but as I am in a IF bulking cycle I eat 2-3 meals of 40-50grams of protein/Veg/fat each PLUS take in 2-3 shakes of Whey mixed with Skim Milk/Water + flaxseed oil. (I also eat a ton on the weekends like pizza, beer and the likes....I get leaner and build more muscle...got to love it) I get the calories and protein. Again...this is more for gaining weight....as you need more during those periods. IF is harder to stick with for weight gain as the amount of cal in a short window. I extend my windows to 1-8pm to get the calories in.

You can cycle windows every 4 weeks. As long as you are making progress towards whatever your goals are that is what counts.

John Alston
10-12-2007, 09:55 AM
MOD
Am curious about the mass gain IF. You IF all week, break it on the weekend or no?
How many g of protein do you get to kg of body weight?
How's the 1-8pm eating window work around your workout time?
What's your main exercise now?

I lift mostly from 6 - 8pm.. maybe I'd have to do a 2-9pm eating window.

Bulking lean sounds super awesome...

Mike ODonnell
10-12-2007, 11:53 AM
MOD
Am curious about the mass gain IF. You IF all week, break it on the weekend or no?
How many g of protein do you get to kg of body weight?
How's the 1-8pm eating window work around your workout time?
What's your main exercise now?

I lift mostly from 6 - 8pm.. maybe I'd have to do a 2-9pm eating window.

Bulking lean sounds super awesome...

I'm not a fan of the whole bulk with fat and muscle...then try and get lean and keep muscle. I'd rather gain lean muscle little by little.

As far as the plan goes, I have basically been experimenting with several approaches that include old programs from Body Opus, Cybergenics (if you can remember that one) and others...along with periodizing cycles of strength and more dynamic or hypertrophy based training. All nutritional component are being cycled as well. An example may be:

Mon-Fri IF eat 1-7pm - goal 1-1.5gram protein/lb weight + Veg + Healthy fat
Sat-Sun IF (bigger window to eat 11-8pm...or whatever my schedule is) - protein lower @ 0.8grams/carbs increased (no real set number just try for more...with beer and pizza that is easy). No additional healthy fats except Omega 3s.

With this cycle I am lower cal Mon-Fri to have enough protein to build and repair muscle while also able to moderately burn fat, then excess cal over weekend to restore muscle glycogen, spike metabolism and then repeat.

Of course all variable will be different per person as I gain fat easily with too many carbs, so those I have to judge and watch. Not too mention my activities may change from only lifting, to mountain biking, to hockey, to a week off for recovery.

For workouts I do them AM in fasted state with no pwo meal (first meal is 1pm). Most are started with strenght based 5x5 or some other progression....I also add in days of more dynamic lifting. Also some weeks I may do strength only beginning and a complete full body compound movement hypertrophy cycle on Fri to prime for carb/glycogen loading.

So many variable....but that is what makes it fun....plus the fact that I am constantly alternating programs helps keep my body in a flux state. I'm not trying to get huge...just gain muscle and keep under 10% BF, maintain a fun competitive level for my recreational sports, while also being able to enjoy my weekends doing whatever with friends and drinking beer with football. Seems to be working so far....

Troy Archie
10-12-2007, 05:56 PM
So many variable....but that is what makes it fun....plus the fact that I am constantly alternating programs helps keep my body in a flux state. I'm not trying to get huge...just gain muscle and keep under 10% BF, maintain a fun competitive level for my recreational sports, while also being able to enjoy my weekends doing whatever with friends and drinking beer with football. Seems to be working so far....

Great doctrine Mike.

Steve Liberati
10-13-2007, 05:42 PM
For workouts I do them AM in fasted state with no pwo meal (first meal is 1pm). Most are started with strenght based 5x5 or some other progression....I also add in days of more dynamic lifting. Also some weeks I may do strength only beginning and a complete full body compound movement hypertrophy cycle on Fri to prime for carb/glycogen loading.

MOD,
I frequently see your name under CrossFit's WOD comment section? Just wondering if this is in fact you and whether you continue to follow the workout of the day?

Kim Chase
10-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi, new here, but I don't know who decided that nut butters were necessary.

Use the money for other stuff, like meat or actual nuts.

Processed foods = extra $$, almost by definition.

V

Actually, nut butters are super-easy to make. Roast 'em in the oven (bulk raw nuts are cheaper), toss them in the food processor. Add oil until you get the consistency you want. Salt to taste. Takes less than 10 minutes!

Mike ODonnell
10-24-2007, 12:09 PM
MOD,
I frequently see your name under CrossFit's WOD comment section? Just wondering if this is in fact you and whether you continue to follow the workout of the day?

Nope...don't do the CF workouts/WOD. Either I am just a legend with my sub par scores of years past....or better odds another Irish guy is out there...and I believe there are a few of us! Ha.

Besides I always sign off as Mike OD....not MOD.

Scott Kustes
10-24-2007, 01:21 PM
That's Mike's wife...Mama OD.

Kevin Perry
11-03-2007, 09:58 PM
You just gave some great ideas MOD because im trying to readjust my diet towards a crazy school/work/train schedule and everything always changes. The simple method towards adjusting is cutting out all the processed foods and fasting throughout the evening