PDA

View Full Version : "Why Beautiful People Have More Daughters..."

Steve Liberati
09-28-2007, 08:41 PM
...From Dating, Shopping, and Praying to Going to War and Becoming a Billionaire-- Two Evolutionary Psychologists Explain Why We Do What We Do."

Thought this was a really interesting book worth recommending to my good friends at Performance Menu....

Tackles many of today's various social issues and human behavior using evolutionary biology and psychology as its point of reference.

If you liked "Lights Out" there's a fat chance you'll like this one.

Here's one of my favorite quotes of the whole book:
"There would be no civilization, no art, no literature, no music, no Beatles, no Microsoft, if sex and mating were a male choice. Men have built (and destroyed) civilizations in order to impress women so that they might say yes. Women are the reason men do everything." (That includes working out everyone...don't kid yourself!!)

Mike ODonnell
09-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Women are the reason men do everything." (That includes working out everyone...don't kid yourself!!)

Don't need a book to realize that one.....although at the gym I've seen some BB types completely in love with themselves in the mirrors.....so women might have a little competition.

David Aguasca
09-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Women are the reason men do everything." (That includes working out everyone...don't kid yourself!!)

except for gay men who work out...

Scott Kustes
10-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Don't need a book to realize that one.....although at the gym I've seen some BB types completely in love with themselves in the mirrors.....so women might have a little competition.
As Rabbi Dave Chappelle said: "A woman's test is material. A man's test is a woman...if a man could **** in a cardboard box, he wouldn't buy a house."

Added to the list.

Elliot Royce
10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I know this guy called Narcissus who just keeps staring at his reflection in the mirror....

Jamila Bey
10-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Rabbi Dave Chappelle is my spiritual guide... My GOD however, is George Carlin. I guess that makes Chris Hitchens my pope.

Anyway, this is a fantastic book with some really provocative theories about the rationale behind suicide bombers and why they're ONLY Muslims. (Do I sound like I'm channeling some other board here?)

A fine read, and one that will stay with you long after you've finished.

joe murphy
10-19-2007, 09:28 AM
pretty sure the science behind the daughter theory has been debunked. and not just by my ugly mug.

as for only muslims being suicide bombers - that is simply incorrect. tamil tigers, kamikazes, sihks - the first modern suicide bombers in the middle east were marxists.

Jamila Bey
10-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Dammit!

Too many brainiacs hand out here.

Point is, this book is an interesting read, and the chapter on suicide bombers being ONLY Muslim (my emphasis) is an oversimplification on my part. I intended to allude to the fact that there's some issue with the ONLY part that the authors explained that I didn't.

I'm on deadline now or I'd recap the chapter in more specific verse.