PDA

View Full Version : Post workout carbs

Keith Gallick
10-01-2007, 06:44 AM
I've noticed that many of the low carbers here save the majority of their carbs for post workout. Are these eaten alone, as a protein and carb low fat meal or just added to the typical protein, fat and veggies meal?

Cheers,

Keith

Troy Archie
10-01-2007, 07:02 AM
protein/carb low fat meal

I can only speak for myself and can assume it's the same for others but...

Mike ODonnell
10-01-2007, 09:54 AM
PWO is NO FAT and a Mix of Carbs and Protein only...if you are taking the majority of carbs pwo only (not like a zone approach where it is spread throughout the day). Some people do shakes immediately....some may wait 1 hour (to keep GH levels high) and eat a meal of carbs and protein. It depends on your goals, type of workout done (ME vs Metcon type) and how sensitive you are to carbs.

David Aguasca
10-01-2007, 01:21 PM
what's the reasoning behind NO fat for PW meals?

Troy Archie
10-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Fat + lots of high GI carbs = insulin spike = fat storage

Theoretically you're going to have some fat in your protein source but so long as you keep it extra lean (tuna) it'll be a small amount.

Patrick Donnelly
10-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Re: Troy
Would the same no fat rule go if you eat only moderate carbs, and low-GI at that?

Troy Archie
10-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Would the same no fat rule go if you eat only moderate carbs, and low-GI at that?
I'm sure someone else can add onto this but this is what I gather:

Yes and no. I split my meals into protein/fat/veggie and protein/carb/veggies. When I say "veggies" it's things like green leafys, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini...

Theoretically you would get an insulin spike from those veggies but the amount would be so small it would be negligible. Add into the fact that those veggies are drenched with olive oil, which slows down their digestive time and their GI timing.

Eating meals only of meat and oil would get fucking boring...

Scott Kustes
10-02-2007, 05:20 AM
Fat + lots of high GI carbs = insulin spike = fat storage

Theoretically you're going to have some fat in your protein source but so long as you keep it extra lean (tuna) it'll be a small amount.
I think the reasoning is more along the lines of fat slowing down digestion, hence reducing the insulin spike and missing the "window" when the muscles are open.

Mike ODonnell
10-02-2007, 06:34 AM

That just sounds like a zone meal now....remember this was about getting the majority of carbs in the pwo window to take advantage of increased sensitivity from exercise to use glycogen in the muscle. Using lower GI and fat basically negates the whole theory of why you do the pwo meal. Doesn't have to be a large amount of carbs, but they do have to be higher GI with no fat if you are looking for that "window".

David Aguasca
10-02-2007, 09:33 AM
sorry to hijack this thread again, but does anyone have any idea what happens hormonally when someone who does not produce insulin (e.g. me, a type I diabetic) eats high GI carbs?

what i have to do is inject insulin according to a gram of carb:insulin unit ratio prescribed by the doctor and fine-tuned by myself...but what does that do internally?