PDA

View Full Version : Cheat on the Need to Sleep?

kevin mckay
10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
http://howto.wired.com/wiredhowtos/index.cgi?page_name=cheat_on_the_need_to_sleep;act ion=display;category=Live#

David Aguasca
10-02-2007, 09:42 AM
the tips are pretty cool, but i'd like to see the data on this:

"A six-year study Kripke headed up of more than a million adults ages 30 to 102 showed that people who get only 6 to 7 hours a night have a lower death rate than those who get 8 hours of sleep."

so sleeping less is better, eh?

i also find one of the comments below the article pretty funny:

"There's no such thing as a "lower death rate." Death rate is 100%. Always has been; always will be."

Scott Kustes
10-02-2007, 12:09 PM
I wonder if this is another case of confusing correlation with causation? Perhaps people that sleep 8+ hours have a higher death rate, but perhaps they sleep more because they are already sick. Is the extra sleep causing the higher death rate or is some illness causing extra sleep and a higher death rate? Obviously quality is important, but I wonder what the real causation is.

Mike ODonnell
10-02-2007, 01:23 PM
7 hours sleep.....8 hours sleep.....you are still dead at the same time if you get hit by a bus.

I would think the body's ability to release GH during deep sleep is more important than how many hours of sleep you get...or maybe directly related to it. The quicker you get the GH release, the less sleep you need?

Leo Soubbotine
10-02-2007, 01:35 PM
The stress from worrying about how much to sleep will probably kill even quicker.