PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone staying for Oct 27 Training?

Derek Simonds
10-06-2007, 08:42 AM
I am planning my trip and wanted to know where everyone was staying?

Jesse any suggestions close to the gym. If there is a Hilton Family hotel that would be great but whatever is closest works best.

Consider this a roll call, lets see who is going, when they arrive and where they are staying.

Jesse Woody
10-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Unfortunately, I've never stayed in any of the hotels in the area, so I can't give any first-person suggestions. One cool piece of news, we'll be in our new space by then which is closer to downtown, so the options are further-expanded from what Greg has listed on the event page!

Steven Low
10-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Ahh you guys are moving, eh? What's the closest metro stop?

Oh yeah, haven't been down recently cause I'm a lazy bum.

Derek Simonds
10-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Unfortunately, I've never stayed in any of the hotels in the area, so I can't give any first-person suggestions. One cool piece of news, we'll be in our new space by then which is closer to downtown, so the options are further-expanded from what Greg has listed on the event page!

I checked out your website and with the new location near the convention center there are tons of hotels. My wife wants to fly up with me and take the kids to DC to see some sights so it might be a family affair.

Steven there is a map on Jesse's site with the metro stops highlighted.

Steven Low
10-08-2007, 11:16 AM
lol, silly me Derek. Should've just checked the site.

Allison Barns
10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I'll be at the Sheraton Reston arriving Friday afternoon/evening.

Hopefully that's not too far from the new place! (I'll have a car :) )

Derek Simonds
10-09-2007, 05:12 PM
That's a nice hotel. I think it is a little ways away. Jesse or Steven will know for sure.

Steven Low
10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't know DC that well unfortunately. I hope my knee heals up enough for me to sign up. :\

Allison Barns
10-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Derek,

From what I saw the Sheraton Reston had a pretty good rate for the area when I booked a few weeks ago. I know nuthin' about the area, but figured that since I had a car anyway for the weekend, it should work.

Steven,
Hope to see you there!

Jesse Woody
10-10-2007, 03:59 PM
If it's in Reston (as the name would suggest) then that's about 20 minutes away in Northern VA, not a bad drive as long as you don't get totally jacked by traffic, which is likely ;)

It will be a pretty easy drive in on 395N. New location and directions are up on our site!

Allen Yeh
10-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Derek,

From what I saw the Sheraton Reston had a pretty good rate for the area when I booked a few weeks ago. I know nuthin' about the area, but figured that since I had a car anyway for the weekend, it should work.

Steven,
Hope to see you there!

Good to see that you can make it!

I believe Robb and Greg will be crashing at my place in Reston and I'm about 3 miles from that hotel. So if you don't feel like driving you can always hop in with us, or follow us.

Let me know.

Allison Barns
10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Good to see that you can make it!

I believe Robb and Greg will be crashing at my place in Reston and I'm about 3 miles from that hotel. So if you don't feel like driving you can always hop in with us, or follow us.

Let me know.

Allen,

Thanks! I am so very happy I can make the trip!

Hopping in with you would be great. It would be great to chat with you all!

Allison

Jay Cohen
10-11-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm staying at the Motel 8. Not sure if I have 1 bed or 2, so if someone wants to stay at my place, we might be able to add a cot, or bring a pad and bag.

Super 8 Motel
501 New York Avenue

It's about 2-3 miles away. Arrive Friday, check out Sunday.

Just noticed Primal moved, I'm now about a mile away, very sweet.

Jay Cohen
724-866-1228 Cell

Jesse Woody
10-11-2007, 04:38 PM
As an aside, our new location is pretty limited in its parking potential, being that it's downtown, so the more cabs/trains/split-rides there could be, the less hassle altogether. We're super-close to both the New York Ave. (red line) and the Convention Center (green line) metro stations. From both, you come right out onto M ST. and walk about 4 blocks to the gym.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

The plus-side of the new location (other than the fact that the building is perhaps the most-baller gym I could ever dream of having) is that we're close to a number of good restaurants, with a healthy-ish coffee-shop/deli about 5 minutes walk away, and Chinatown about 10.

Kyle Sattgast
10-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Looking forward to this weekend. Jesse, which metro stop do you recommend, which one is closer? I guess that is going to depend on which line the vienna stop is. I'm 24 have lived in the area all my life and have never rode the metro alone, I guess I'm gonna learn more the oly lifts that weekend. Dude that firehouse gym is sweet.

Allen Yeh
10-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Looking forward to this weekend. Jesse, which metro stop do you recommend, which one is closer? I guess that is going to depend on which line the vienna stop is. I'm 24 have lived in the area all my life and have never rode the metro alone, I guess I'm gonna learn more the oly lifts that weekend. Dude that firehouse gym is sweet.

Kyle,

It looks like Vienna to Metro Center than hop on the red Line to NY Ave/Florida Ave would be best or you can also take Vienna to L'enfant Plaza and green line to Mt. Vernon Sq.

Where in N. VA are you living? Would you prefer to carpool down?

Jesse Woody
10-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Allen's right, NY Ave. looks easiest, and the metro stop is up to choice, they're both pretty close to the same distance. If you decide to ride in and switch at metro center, make sure you get on the red line towards Glenmont, as going the wrong direction won't sink in for a good while if you've never used the metro, and it's a total pain in the ass ;)

Derek Simonds
10-14-2007, 06:17 AM
I am meeting my family Friday morning at Dulles and taking them to do some tourist stuff.

We will be staying at the

Embassy Suites
900 10th Street, NW
Washington, District of Columbia, USA, 20001
1-202-739-2001
0.7 miles from address

Hopefully I won't be to exhausted and we will be able to see some more sights Sunday afternoon. We are flying out of Dulles so I plan on finishing the day at the new air and space museum.

Allen Yeh
10-15-2007, 05:39 AM
We are flying out of Dulles so I plan on finishing the day at the new air and space museum.

A lot of cool stuff to look at there.

Jay Cohen
10-25-2007, 02:15 AM
I'll be in DC by 4, staying at Super 8 on New York Av. Anyone wants to join me for dinner, my cell is 724-866-1228

Jay

Steven Low
10-25-2007, 10:18 AM
I am coming now and am excited! :) Although my knee will prohibit me from lifting anything more than PVC probably.

Allen Yeh
10-25-2007, 10:22 AM
I am coming now and am excited! :) Although my knee will prohibit me from lifting anything more than PVC probably.

What happened?

Steven Low
10-25-2007, 12:08 PM
I was doing a top out in Parkour (which is basically after ascending from a quick muscle up throwing out a back leg to generate upward and forward momentum to get the body and legs on top of the obstacle quickly) and I guess I torqued my back leg a bit at the knee. What annoys me is that the foot wasn't even touching the ground because of the top out.. so I guess it's just a freak injury. Kind of sucks.

The diagnosis by my PT friend and my own thinking is that I pulled a couple of fibers of my patellar tendon away from the bone or at least strained it somewhat or both.

Derek Simonds
10-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Steven, that sucks. Ice is the only thing I can suggest.

Man I can't wait. The family is all packed we have planned out several different things for them to do.

I am assuming that we just show up at Primal a little prior to 9 Saturday.

Jesse Woody
10-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah, it would be best to get there 15 minutes early or so to sign waivers and have a cup of coffee if needed. We'll be there uber-early to accomodate anybody overly motivated ;)

Derek Simonds
10-26-2007, 03:04 AM
Yeah, it would be best to get there 15 minutes early or so to sign waivers and have a cup of coffee if needed. We'll be there uber-early to accomodate anybody overly motivated ;)

Overly motivated you say. I plan on having breakfast with the family then heading over. I also plan on dropping by today just to find the place and get familiar with how to get there.

Allen Yeh
10-26-2007, 03:49 AM
The diagnosis by my PT friend and my own thinking is that I pulled a couple of fibers of my patellar tendon away from the bone or at least strained it somewhat or both.

Yikes, somewhat recent?

I know the ice thing has been a staple for many years for post-injury doctorine but check this out for some food for thought:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JIoXCiLBRU&feature=PlayList&p=52CC8FAEB5731852&index=0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tncvH84G9RA&feature=PlayList&p=52CC8FAEB5731852&index=5

I have yet to implement what he says because I have not had any severe injuries lately (knock on wood)!

Jesse Woody
10-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Overly motivated you say. I plan on having breakfast with the family then heading over. I also plan on dropping by today just to find the place and get familiar with how to get there.

Sounds good, I should be there around 10:30am today to get ready for our open gym time.

As a reminder for those coming on the weekend, parking is VERY limited, so the more car-pooling/metro-riding that could be planned, the better. I can't wait...see you guys there!

Steven Low
10-26-2007, 10:27 AM
It's been 3 weeks so.. yeah.

I'll be there about 9ish from New York Ave. Metro.