PDA

View Full Version : Foam rolling v. pvc pipe/rolling pin

Joe Hart
10-15-2007, 05:49 AM
Do you get the same effect using the PVC rolling pin idea as foam rolling for recovery. Is there any benefit to foam rolling other times during the day rather than right after the work out?

chris hill
10-15-2007, 06:32 AM
i would imagine that the PVC would hurt a load more than the foam rollers.

I would be interested in answers to the other question, specifically would i benefit from rolling with stretching on my non-lifting days?

Allen Yeh
10-16-2007, 04:27 AM
Do you get the same effect using the PVC rolling pin idea as foam rolling for recovery. Is there any benefit to foam rolling other times during the day rather than right after the work out?

Yes, the PVC will be a bit different than a regular foam roller start off gently. I'd also recommend the use of a tennis ball and lacrosse ball. I actually keep one of each at work with me sometimes I'll slip my shoes off and just roll the bottoms of my feet while working at my desk.

To answer your other question, yes. I often do it when I'm watching TV or listening to some music. Usually Mondays at 9pm is a scheduled foam rolling time since that is when Heroes is on.

Mike ODonnell
10-16-2007, 05:47 AM
I think the foam roller actually will help with more myofascial release (as it is designed to do)....so I would opt for that one.

Allen Yeh
10-16-2007, 06:28 AM
A good article using the tennis ball:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1259323

Derek Simonds
10-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Allen where did you get your foam roller? I have looked around a little but didn't know what I should go with. I have plenty of PVC in the garage but I imagine I am a little tight to roll with that.

Jay Cohen
10-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Allen where did you get your foam roller? I have looked around a little but didn't know what I should go with. I have plenty of PVC in the garage but I imagine I am a little tight to roll with that.

Derek;
Ordered one from Perform Better, should be here tomorrow. 3x6 for about 18 bucks.

John Alston
10-16-2007, 08:45 AM
I just got a couple rollers from perform better. Came super fast.
I got the black one, supposed to keep its firmness. I hope it doesn't. It's like wood right now.

Derek Simonds
10-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Just ordered the black one and the RKC Restoring physical function DVD.

Allen Yeh
10-17-2007, 01:18 AM
I originally had one of the white foam rollers which didn't really hold up very long.

Last Christmas I got the a black one from Elitefts and looks similiar to the one on the perform better site. It's been 9 months and it's still holding up well.

Ron Wilhelm
10-24-2007, 08:31 AM

http://www.ptmart.com has a whole slew of different size & density rollers for cheap. I originally heard about the site from Greg.

Scott Kustes
10-24-2007, 01:23 PM
What size foam roller is recommended? I'm planning to get one.

Casey Williams
10-24-2007, 01:26 PM
I got my foam roll from Target....came with a dvd also. Its from Mark V (coreperformance). I cant remember how expensive it was but it was under $20 dollars for the dvd and foam roller.

Yuen Sohn
10-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Hey Scott,
I use a ~12 inch-long roller and do all my rolling on it, though it's only big enough for one leg at a time. It's great for portability since I carry it on the train to the gym. I mainly just roll the hamstrings, quads, hips, it band...I'm not 100% sure of what additional benefits the longer rollers provide.

Scott Kustes
10-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks Yoon. What thickness? 3, 4, or 6 inch?

Yuen Sohn
10-26-2007, 09:23 PM
6 inch diameter. It's this one:
http://performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4918_A_CategoryID_E_235

Got it as a bday gift from teammate John...I think he might have gotten the 3 footer.