PDA

View Full Version : "Best Life" and paleo

Joe Hart
10-24-2007, 06:33 PM
So I am reading "BestLife" (Men's Health for older guys) November issue (for the money and dad articles...really) and there is an article about how the Mongolians eat paleo. It was pretty good. They even took what seemed to be a little swing at IFing. They even had a side bar that seemed awfully CFish or CA WODish. I liked it because I can give to the wife and she can read about the what and why of my eating habits. Now if I can really get into the paleo habit.

Christie Von
10-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Here's a link (http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/health-fitness/The_Diet_That_Conquered_the_World.shtml)for those that may be interested (w/f/s)

Jane Michel
10-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks Christie!! This is such an interesting article on the Mongolians!

Steven Low
10-25-2007, 09:46 PM
That was an excellent read.

Scott Kustes
10-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Very interesting article, but I wish they'd stop with the political correctness of talking about lean meats and that organs have nearly no fat. Which organs are they talking about? Obviously wild and grass-fed animals are leaner than grain-fed, but I think they go too far talking about how low-fat this traditional diet is.

Greg Battaglia
10-26-2007, 08:27 AM
I agree with Scott. It's funny too, they make it a point to really emphasis how low-fat the meat is, then in a picture on the same page they show a platter of Mongolian meat that is highly marbled. However, I do believe that organ meats are much leaner than muscle meats, regardless of what the animal is fed (except for bone marrow). Hunter-gatherers mostly get their animal fat from bone marrow, and subcutaneous fat. Also, the author of this article fails to mention that the dairy products eaten by the Mongolians was whole and raw, and therefore very high in fat (and saturated fat). One of the doctors that he quotes claims that H/G's ate grains, yet another inaccuracy. The doctor/nutritionist that they interview says something along the line of "high blood glucose increases your immune response...." which is complete bullshit. High blood sugar almost immediately weakens the immune system. The only way it "improves" the immune system is by creating an environment that manifests as excessive inflammation, the type of immune response that we're trying to avoid. I could go on and on. This article is so PC Paleo it makes me sick. The read was interesting, but definitely not accurate.

Scott Kustes
10-26-2007, 10:54 AM
I noticed that fatty meat platter too Greg. Humorous! I also salivated thinking of all that delicious meat.

Greg Battaglia
10-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Indeed. Now I'm going to go home and eat a nice lunch of eggs fried sunny side up in olive oil and grass fed butter, with the egg yolks included of course. yum!