PDA

View Full Version : Chad Waterbury S&C Coach for Rickson Gracie BJJ

Anton Emery
10-31-2007, 11:01 AM
Just read on T-nation that Chad Waterbury has been appointed Strength and Conditioning Director for Rickson's BJJ facility in LA. Should be interesting to see what he comes up with. I remember reading his articles on T-nation on MMA strength training/conditioning and thinking alot of the standards were to high.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1786665

Anton

Mike ODonnell
10-31-2007, 11:56 AM
For strength, you could do three circuits with 90 seconds rest between each movement. This allows you to keep the load very high since the rest periods are sufficient and the volume is low. Each movement is three reps.

For size, you need more volume. Eight to ten circuits with 3-5 reps is a great method. The rest periods should be 60-70 seconds between each movement.

And, of course, circuits are excellent for metabolic conditioning. I think most people perform too many reps, though. I typically keep the reps less than 8 per movement with 5-6 circuits. The rest periods start at 45 seconds and decrease by 5 seconds with each new workout.

Sounds like a good strategy....nothing new also, he didn't invent that approach....recovery nutrition will be where 90% of their results will come from. Could also alternate between strength and dynamic loads, aka a CF like strategy. Really, is there just one good approach or only the progressive adaption from alternating methods?

Mark Joseph Limbaga
11-02-2007, 06:57 AM
For strength, you could do three circuits with 90 seconds rest between each movement. This allows you to keep the load very high since the rest periods are sufficient and the volume is low. Each movement is three reps.

For size, you need more volume. Eight to ten circuits with 3-5 reps is a great method. The rest periods should be 60-70 seconds between each movement.

And, of course, circuits are excellent for metabolic conditioning. I think most people perform too many reps, though. I typically keep the reps less than 8 per movement with 5-6 circuits. The rest periods start at 45 seconds and decrease by 5 seconds with each new workout. Runs parallel to what I would do.