PDA

View Full Version : coffee (creamers)

Casey Williams
11-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Just curious what everybody uses for creamer in there coffee...milk, half&half....etc? Anybody put alittle coconut milk as a creamer?

Jay Cohen
11-03-2007, 04:25 AM
Just curious what everybody uses for creamer in there coffee...milk, half&half....etc? Anybody put alittle coconut milk as a creamer?

1/2 / 1/2, now moving to coconut milk

Scott Kustes
11-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Nothing.

Steve Liberati
11-03-2007, 08:20 AM
depends. somedays nothing, other days creamer or half & half, most of the time coconut milk. Cut back on coffee a lot in favor of espresso shots. Espresso shots need nothing more than a very small drop of slevia.

Jay Cohen
11-03-2007, 12:58 PM
depends. somedays nothing, other days creamer or half & half, most of the time coconut milk. Cut back on coffee a lot in favor of espresso shots. Espresso shots need nothing more than a very small drop of slevia.

Steve;
Do you have a Espresso machine, if so, what kind?
Thanks.

Steve Liberati
11-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Krups Caffe Diablo II. Mid-line machine goes for aro $200. Not the best espresso maker, but then again it was a gift so I can't complain. Told my wife I like an X3 for Christmas as seen here: http://www.illyusa.com/AB1666000/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=81.
It's a beauty!

Jay Cohen
11-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Krups Caffe Diablo II. Mid-line machine goes for aro $200. Not the best espresso maker, but then again it was a gift so I can't complain. Told my wife I like an X3 for Christmas as seen here: http://www.illyusa.com/AB1666000/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=81.
It's a beauty!

Steve;
If I wasn't spending money like no tomorrow on gear, Oly Certs/workshops and what ever, this would be my next purchase.

W/F/S/Coffee safe

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.gaggia.shtml

The Rancilio is a tad much for budget, but great machine.

Presently I brew via Peculator, Stove Top Espresso maker, Direct to Cup or French Press. I have a local food co op that orders in Organic Fair Trade coffee in 5lb bags at around 32.50 per bag, great deal.

Troy Archie
11-04-2007, 09:28 AM
I've heard that the Rancilio silvia is one of the best band for buck at home machines but I've never used one. I'm a spoiled barista and have only ever worked with a La Marzocco GB5, Clover and recently a Synesso Cyncra. That said, if you have under $300 to spend on an Espresso machine, save yourself the time and money and buy an Aeropress (http://www.sweetmarias.com/aeropress_instructions.html). Coffees my profession and for $30 you can't go wrong.

If you need to put creamer/whitener in your coffee, you're drinking bad coffee.

If there is no roast date on the coffee you buy or it's past 3 weeks, you're drinking stale coffee. Do yourself a favor and find a local roaster selling only fresh beans and you'll become their bitch forever.

Jay Cohen
11-04-2007, 11:40 AM
I've heard that the Rancilio silvia is one of the best band for buck at home machines but I've never used one. I'm a spoiled barista and have only ever worked with a La Marzocco GB5, Clover and recently a Synesso Cyncra. That said, if you have under $300 to spend on an Espresso machine, save yourself the time and money and buy an Aeropress (http://www.sweetmarias.com/aeropress_instructions.html). Coffees my profession and for $30 you can't go wrong.

If you need to put creamer/whitener in your coffee, you're drinking bad coffee.

If there is no roast date on the coffee you buy or it's past 3 weeks, you're drinking stale coffee. Do yourself a favor and find a local roaster selling only fresh beans and you'll become their bitch forever.

Troy, your comments are spot on and the Aeropress is on my list, thanks for reminding me. You're also right about adding cream to coffee and about shelf life of beans. I knew someone was going to bust me on the 5lb bag qty.

There are a few local roaster in 30 mile area and my bud has has an I-Roast, so he buys green beans and roasts his own.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated and just might save me 400 bucks.

Troy Archie
11-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Thought I'd also add that if you did buy a decent at home espresso machine you'd need to buy a really good grinder too. You'd actually probably end up spending more on the grinder than the machine.

I've heard it said a couple times that you might as well buy a $100 espresso machine and $1000 grinder...

Steve Liberati
11-04-2007, 03:06 PM
"Do yourself a favor and find a local roaster selling only fresh beans and you'll become their bitch forever."

Thats hilarious Troy...classic man!

Jay and Troy-
Not impressed with my current machine at all, and don't have the funds to drop on an expensive espresso machine either. Does the aeropress or stovetop machine give you that nice thick expresso shot anywhere close to what an expensive commerical machine can make? Which one is better b/t the two?

Thanks.

Jay Cohen
11-04-2007, 04:06 PM
"Do yourself a favor and find a local roaster selling only fresh beans and you'll become their bitch forever."

Thats hilarious Troy...classic man!

Jay and Troy-
Not impressed with my current machine at all, and don't have the funds to drop on an expensive espresso machine either. Does the aeropress or stovetop machine give you that nice thick expresso shot anywhere close to what an expensive commerical machine can make? Which one is better b/t the two?

Thanks.

Steve, I think you'll be disappointed in the quality of the shot, as there really isn't one. Boiling water is pushed up from the bottom water container, ends up as hot black strong coffee in upper chamber, no foam, just black strong coffee, which is fine for me, but at some point,I'd like a espresso machine, but Troy is right about the quality of grinder. I have a 100.00 grinder now, which I thought would be OK, but told by many that I should upgrade, so really, I don't feel like dropping 400 on machine and 300 on grinder all for a cup of coffee.
Could by some more gear or fly out an train with Greg and Coach by for a weekend, now that is worth dropping some cash on.

Herer is that basic machine, I have stove top and electric model, both work OK, bu not great.

w/f/s coffee safe

http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/espressoequipment/gr/bialettimoka.htm

Steve Liberati
11-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks Jay!

Troy Archie
11-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Ditto what Jay said. You won't get the same body but you'll get pretty dam close to the same taste and that's for both a moka pot and aeropress. At where I work we have used the aeropress for quick cupping when toying with our espresso blend just for a general idea of the taste and stacking side by side. I can manage to get a bit of creama with the aeropress sometimes but it's pretty short lived.

Allen Yeh
11-07-2007, 04:15 AM
I use heavy cream.

Leo Soubbotine
11-07-2007, 09:27 AM
My coffee: http://bodybuilding.com/store/sf/caffeine.html

Seven bucks for half a year of supply :D

Allison Barns
11-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Troy- I'm curious if you think ANY home machine can match a professional one? I haven't fully explored the what's out there now, but as a former barista myself (in my college days... just a 'few' years ago ;-) and full-blown coffee snob I'd love to find something to get the "real deal" at home. I would think the home machines just can't match the steam pressure that you really need for that perfect espresso.

Everyone else - if you have found that barista that can and will make your order perfect, tip him or her well!! Being a great barista ain't always easy!

Allison

Jay Cohen
11-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Troy- I'm curious if you think ANY home machine can match a professional one? I haven't fully explored the what's out there now, but as a former barista myself (in my college days... just a 'few' years ago ;-) and full-blown coffee snob I'd love to find something to get the "real deal" at home. I would think the home machines just can't match the steam pressure that you really need for that perfect espresso.

Everyone else - if you have found that barista that can and will make your order perfect, tip him or her well!! Being a great barista ain't always easy!

Allison

Allison;
Seattle was just listed as most caffeinated city in US, no surprise.

Steve Liberati
11-08-2007, 05:10 AM
Leo,
Caffeine pills are considered cheating! Besides its the taste that makes coffee addicting (unless you're talking about Starbux drinkers..then its for the "coolness" factor ha).

Like Allison, also interesting in finding a home machine that makes a commercial grade espresso. I'm sure Troy will fill us in, so I'll just wait for his reply:)

Kim Dowse
11-08-2007, 05:42 AM
I've had this machine for a few years now....

http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/starbucks_barista

I paid about $200 for it on sale. I use it about 4x weekly. It's easy to use (I had a different one before that would vapor-lock all the time), great crema, easy clean-up.

Allison Barns
11-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Allison;
Seattle was just listed as most caffeinated city in US, no surprise.

Yep, no surprise. It's pretty close to a coffee-snob's paradise. :D

John Vernon
11-12-2007, 05:42 PM
for me it's either black or a Buena Vista Irish coffee...there's no grey area.

(uhhmmm....is that a bowflexrevolution.com banner I see on the top of my screen??)