PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Colpo and criticism of Eades and Taubes

Jane Michel
11-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Does anyone know much about Anthony Colpo and his background and the kind of knowledge he has? I am curious because he has written a book and runs a Low Carb Forum in which he has criticised Eades and Taubes.

Eades (see http://www.lowcarbmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1541)
Taubes (see http://www.lowcarbmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589)

Mike ODonnell
11-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know much about Anthony Colpo and his background and the kind of knowledge he has? I am curious because he has written a book and runs a Low Carb Forum in which he has criticised Eades and Taubes.

Eades (see http://www.lowcarbmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1541)
Taubes (see http://www.lowcarbmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589)

Ahhh....Internet Fitness Celebrity Wars....got to love them! Ha....

I am sure Anthony is a smart guy. Don't really care about the other aspect of the drama of who is right and wrong....because it's a waste of time. Especially since he "publicly" attacks 2 people who are ALSO pro-low carb/high protein on his low carb muscle board?? Ummmm....aren't you guys on the same side? oh wait...I do see the evil plan unfold...

1) Find 2 people very well known with a blog of active readers who are interested in low carb (qualified audience)

2) Establish a quarrel with such well know person on a very intelligent level to hopefully carry over to other forums for more qualified leads (while also qualifying yourself as an "expert" on the subject matter.)

3) In such public discourse, make sure to reference your EBOOK as you now have expanded your qualified audience and given yourself an expert credibility rating with those leads...and the money rolls in.

Again he probably is a smart guy...and I applaud him for his marketing strategy...I mean we all have to make a living somehow and he was very creative in how he went about it. Bravo my friend...bravo! I probably would have done the same!

Steve Liberati
11-03-2007, 01:36 PM
MOD hit the nail on the head. The unfortunate fact is once people see through the BS and have a shadow of a doubt that someone is faking authenthicity, there reputation goes down the tube. Good chance is marketing ploy may backfire on him.

Mike ODonnell
11-03-2007, 02:26 PM
MOD hit the nail on the head. The unfortunate fact is once people see through the BS and have a shadow of a doubt that someone is faking authenthicity, there reputation goes down the tube. Good chance is marketing ploy may backfire on him.

sucks for him I am so smart. HA! Now who else has a website for me to tear apart to the route means of sales strategies and marketing ploys....or who wants to hire me for that same info? Ha! I'll make Steve my booking agent.

Steve Liberati
11-04-2007, 04:41 AM
Go ahead Mike, rip into my site. I can take some criticism (like to believe I have thick skin!). You get too harsh, I'll send a few bloods after you lo.

Scott Kustes
11-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Steve, your website features too few shots of females. Preferably hot and nekkid. See T-Nation for an idea of what I'm talking about.

The one thing I really loved in Colpo's attack on Eades was when Eades didn't bother to justify it with a response and AC went on with "See...I'm right! I'm right! You're an F'n chump!" It reminds me of an 8th grade argument. AC is a smart dude, but needs to be a bit less vitriolic.

Allen Yeh
11-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Until such time as Eades indicates that he is prepared to discuss this issue in an intelligent manner, rather than throwing weaselish insults at me, this thread is closed.

I've never heard of this guy before but I skimmed the 2 posts above it and seems like a gigantic case of pot calling the kettle black.

Maybe he has great information, maybe it is awesome and life changing but with a demeanor like what he has presented....

Mike ODonnell
11-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Go ahead Mike, rip into my site. I can take some criticism (like to believe I have thick skin!). You get too harsh, I'll send a few bloods after you lo.

No pricey E-book promising overnight results for great abs.....shessshhhh....get with the times!

Steve Liberati
11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
No pricey E-book promising overnight results for great abs.....shessshhhh....get with the times!

Ha...well, not yet. It is in the works Mike. And I'll make sure you get a sneak peek:p

Steve Liberati
11-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I've never heard of this guy before but I skimmed the 2 posts above it and seems like a gigantic case of pot calling the kettle black.

Maybe he has great information, maybe it is awesome and life changing but with a demeanor like what he has presented....

I thought the same thing. Although his content his valid, his style sucks. Really turned me off.

Garrett Smith
11-06-2007, 05:40 AM
His style really sucks, I totally agree Steve.

It's one thing to have a message, it's another thing to be a dick when you deliver it. Pardon my French.

Also, I found it funny when he accuses others of ad hominem attacks--he seems to be the professional in that area.

Mike ODonnell
11-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Eades responds to it all on his blog today....

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/2007/11/15/learn-why-anthony-colpo-is-mad-and-get-a-free-book/

William Hunter
11-15-2007, 11:42 AM

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/2007/11/15/learn-why-anthony-colpo-is-mad-and-get-a-free-book/

Nice. Well thought out, mature, with a couple of not-too-subtle zings thrown in.

I don't see this feud dying down anytime soon.

Allen Yeh
11-15-2007, 12:23 PM

Now that is funny.

Mike ODonnell
11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I don't see this feud dying down anytime soon.

I do...because no one wants any part of AC's rants and ravings....such a waste of time of his to be like that (slow month with clients perhaps?), nothing good will come of it for his own reputation or ebook sales.

William Hunter
11-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, I just thought there were several phrases that were thrown in by Eades that will further inflame AC. I'm not sure what AC will do, but Eades has said his peace and should just let it be at that.

Mike ODonnell
11-15-2007, 02:27 PM
I have a feeling even the AC fan following may be dwindling.....oh well, doesn't phase my day either way. Ha.

Chris Forbis
11-15-2007, 03:39 PM
I have a feeling even the AC fan following may be dwindling.....oh well, doesn't phase my day either way. Ha.

I used to frequent his forums... but there was so little activity, I stopped even bothering to go.

Jane Michel
11-16-2007, 03:07 AM
AC is going to fly into a rage lol.

Anyway he's attacking Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb now
http://www.lowcarbmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1557&page=10

Allen Yeh
11-16-2007, 11:17 AM
AC is going to fly into a rage lol.

Ditto this sentiment.

He'll probably challenge Dr. E. to a fight if he ever makes it down to Australia or something.

Greg Battaglia
11-19-2007, 10:32 PM
In defense of AC, the guy IS correct in his argument, regardless of how it is presented. I honestly find his style hilarious most of the time, but maybe I'm taking something that is meant to be serious as a joke. IDK. He's a no-nonsense kind of guy and that's what we need these days. Too many people try to be nice to the folks that perpetuate myths regardless of their qualifications. Eades is an expert in this area and I give him much respect. He should know that a calorie deficit is required to lose weight on a diet of ANY macronutrient composition. He fails to recognize this and provide the information to his readers despite the overwhelming evidence that there must indeed be a calorie deficit to lose weight. AC could be a little more nice, but I think I'd start to lose my mind if I had to constantly deal with people spouting off bullshit on a daily basis. Anyway, I think the whole thing is rather ridiculous to begin with. It's pretty much common sense and these guys are turning it into something complicated when theres' no need for it. Eat meat, fat, and veggies, create a calorie deficit if you wanna lose weight. Simple stuff.

Allen Yeh
02-06-2008, 05:18 AM
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/metabolic-advantage/anthony-colpo-a-man-obsessed/

Seriously? Wow.

Allen Yeh
02-06-2008, 05:20 AM
BTW the challenge issued by Colpo to Dr. Eades is 15 pages long.

Mike ODonnell
02-06-2008, 06:03 AM
Wow....this won't die off. Another PR stunt by AC it seems. Too bad...the guy may know stuff....but who cares about who is right? Oh wait....he does. Dr Mike would do better to just take the higher road and put the guy on mute. AC needs a job or more clients....as he has way too much time on his hands.

Garrett Smith
02-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Imagine what AC must say to his clients who don't follow his nutrition recommendations or ask him questions...ouch.

Greg Battaglia
02-14-2008, 02:59 PM
I think it's clear that Eades is trying to dodge a bullet here. He knows he's wrong and has admitted it by claiming that the second requirement is a trap. I think AC's rebuttal to that claim was spot on. Look, I hate AC's style just as much as the next guy, but he's right! I know this from personal experience. I am human evidence that I cannot gain weight without a caloric surplus and can't lose weight without a caloric deficit, regardless of macros.

Also, I really don't even understand the need for this debate, at all. Whether people believe that they are gaining a metabolic advantage through low carb dieting or not is not going to undermine the appetite suppressing effects of such a diet. Low carb diets suppress the appetite, allowing the dieter to feel satiated with less food, and as a result weight and fat loss.

The important distinction to be made between low carb and high carb diets is the effects that they have on body composition. and health. All things being equal, the person on an intelligently planned low carb diet (meat, good fats, tons of veggies anyone?) is going to be leaner and healthier than their counterparts who follow a high carb diet of the same caloric intake.

I understand AC's frustration, as people who support the metabolic advantage theory are probably using it to up their book sales. The fact that it took this whole controversy to get Eades to admit that the metabolic advantage was probably only about 300 calories is supporting evidence for this. 300 calories? Even if a metabolic advantage does exist, what's all the hype for over 300 calories?

Arguments like this piss me off because they tend to bog down innocent readers and muddy the waters of the real picture. If the average American simply cut all the garbage that they so readily shove down their throats and ate meat, veggies, and lots of good fats most of the time they would dramatically improve their health and weight whether they're conscious of their calorie intake or not.

Additionally, Eades claims that AC misinterprets the studies. Well, as AC said, if he and the researchers of the study came to the same conclusion, then how would critiquing the findings of the research not be critiquing AC? Even if The Fat Loss Bible is riddled with inaccuracies, the final message is congruent with what was found in the research studies. Essentially, in this blog post Eades is admitting that he can't prove AC wrong. If I was Eades, and I was as certain of the metabolic advantage as he claims to be, I would take that offer up immediately. I would obtain great catharsis from donating 20k to people who really need it. So, Eades, come on, prove AC wrong and donate that cash. For that purpose alone I hope Eades does take up the offer and prove AC wrong. Unfortunately, I doubt that he will, because I highly doubt the reality of a metabolic advantage, although I don't eliminate it as a possibility.