PDA

View Full Version : Nightshades!

Max Murphy
11-05-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm currently trying to remove all or most nightshades from my diet. I usually eat lots of peppers and season with a lot of pepper too. What are some good substitutes for my pepper spices, like red pepper or chili pepper?

It seems I'm going to have to revamp my spice rack and a lot of my recipes!

Scott Kustes
11-05-2007, 11:03 AM
If you mean you season with pepper as in black peppercorns, you're A-OK. That isn't a nightshade. There really isn't a substitute for the flavor of hot peppers...it is a unique flavor. I started using more tamari in place of hot sauce. I still use paprika here and there, but tend more towards curry powder and cumin, basil and oregano, and lots of garlic.

Garrett Smith
11-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Max,
There isn't really anything that has the kick of peppers.

Remember that peppercorns are not in the nightshades, so fresh ground pepper is always in my dishes. I get the mixed peppercorns from TJ's.

Other things that add "spice" include ginger, horseradish (aka American wasabi), mustard powder, garlic.

Curry powder can have anywhere from a lot to no nightshade content, depends on the recipe.

Max Murphy
11-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Horseradish! I forgot about this one. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Good stuff!

Mike ODonnell
11-05-2007, 11:42 AM
chili pepper

Chilli/Cayenne Pepper has alot of benefits to it including being a good natural antibiotic. (along with onions and garlic)

Great anti-inflammatories spices include Ginger and Tumeric.

Scott Kustes
11-05-2007, 12:24 PM
But MOD, if one is avoiding nightshades, chili/cayenne are out.

Mike ODonnell
11-05-2007, 12:38 PM
But MOD, if one is avoiding nightshades, chili/cayenne are out.

While true....I still think there are many health benefits to it. I use the powdered version in foods and when I feel sick. I eat NO other nightshades, so in moderation I see no ill effect from cayenne pepper. Just my unscientific observation...but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night. (sorry Derek, had to use it. Ha!)

Jordan Glasser
11-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Just my unscientific observation...but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

LOL! :D You win!

Garrett Smith
11-06-2007, 05:42 AM
MOD,
There may be some kind of "hormesis" effect to taking cayenne when one is sick, sure.

It's the 2-3x/day intake of nightshades that screws most people into bad health.