PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Paleo/Low Carb Power Bar

Jay Cohen
11-05-2007, 05:47 PM
I just came across Pemmican, which sounds like the bomb for an awesome, calorie dense, low carb snack, meal on the go, what ever.
Ingredients look inexpensive and considering it's just beef(grass fed preferred) Suet and some berries, I really must be missing something.

If anyone has eaten it or made it, please drop me a line or reply via the boards, but as of tomorrow, calling my beef guy for some talon, asking him to thin slice some beef and I plan to fire up my oven this weekend.

All comments appreciated.

See below: w/f/s

http://www.physicalmind.com/pemmican.htm#PEMMICAN

Eva Claire Synkowski
11-05-2007, 07:09 PM
man, was i stoked on pemmican when i first read about it, and i bought a few bars from us wellness meats (www.grasslandbeef.com).

perhaps its an acquired taste - but i tried a few bites of one, and that was it. i eat pretty paleo all the time, love beef, and pretty into raw/plain foods... this was too much for me. pretty much tasted like raw beef fat (surprise ;) ). id like to see what others say.... seems like a good snack otherwise, and perhaps i need to give it another go.

Scott Kustes
11-06-2007, 05:11 AM
I've made it. I took a pound of grass-fed beef jerky and put it in a chopper. It turned into a fine meat dust. I also took several cups of dried blueberries and threw them in the bowl with the jerky dust. I added some spices (don't recall which as it's been nearly a year), mixed it all together, pressed it evenly into a 9x9 and poured the liquid part of rendered beef fat (grass-fed again) over it. It hardens quickly. I found that a bit of honey would probably make it downright delicious, although the fat did make it somewhat sweet. I think I left too much pooled on the top though as I had big chunks of fat which made it a bit waxy.

Garrett Smith
11-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Scott, sounds like a lot of work.

I'd rather just eat the jerky and the berries and take some fish oil with it.

Scott Kustes
11-06-2007, 06:41 AM
It depends on what you're making it for Dr. G. I was taking it on a ski trip, so having something I could cut into bars and throw in a baggie for quick eats on a lift was optimal rather than having a bag of jerky, a bag of nuts, and a bag of berries. I wouldn't make pemmican to take to work, although it really isn't all that much work. Making jerky is mostly hands off as is drying berries and rendering fat isn't all the difficult either. Putting it together took me about 15 minutes and the work to make jerky is a moot point since making jerky or making pemmican requires the same work in that arena. I'd estimate 90 minutes of total work.

Greg Davis
11-06-2007, 07:08 AM
Quick way to acquire a taste for it- bring it on a camping/canoe type of trip. You'll crave calories and pemmican sure has those.

You can also get bit better of a deal from US Wellness by buying it in bulk "pails". (check their website). Wait for it to go on special and save even more. The thing I like about that company is they do a good job keeping shipping charges to Canada to a minimum..

Scotty Hagnas
11-06-2007, 08:13 AM
It can be a bit of a pain to prepare - that's why I haven't made it too often. As Scott and Greg mentioned, it's great for camping/backpacking trips, etc. Otherwise, I do as Dr. G suggested and just eat jerky and berries.

I am curious to try the pre-made stuff, however....