PDA

View Full Version : Two thumbs up for Thai massage!!!

Garrett Smith
11-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Just wanted to give my early endorsement to Thai massage. Awesome stuff.

Very much a combination of stretching and massage, often similar to "easier" yoga poses. I really liked the work on my feet and ankles especially.

For those who have difficulty in making themselves stretch and do the foam roller, this may be a solution!

FYI, I get extremely bored with normal types of massage and haven't found it to be that therapeutic for me. This was totally different. I'm thinking of making this a regular part of my schedule, once every one or two weeks.:D

Allen Yeh
11-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey I get the first "happy ending" joke?

Neill Smith
11-06-2007, 02:34 PM
I'll second that. I've had a few Thai massages. I felt lots of the benefits of a good stretching or foam rolling session with none of the bothersome work.

Yael Grauer
11-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Shiatsu is my favorite.

Jay Cohen
11-07-2007, 04:26 AM
Just finished my 5th Rolfing session, which I find pretty interesting. 4 more to go for the basic 10 session treatment, then will probably get a session once every 3 months. I also get a deep tissue massage once a month, but will search out a Thai practitioner, as I've read/heard good stuff, and since Dr. G recommends, really must check it out.

Great deep massage is really good stuff, though when my eyes are tearing and I'm biting the sheet, it make me think that only in America would a grown man pay money to be physically abused, relatively speaking.

Garrett Smith
11-07-2007, 07:19 AM
The Thai massage that I got I would consider "moderate" in depth--when a muscle is being moderately stretched, it doesn't take much pressure. I also have my doubts about deep tissue work, both my own and from what I've read of Edgar Cayce. Pain is not a good sign, IMO. Stimulating the nervous system properly is what I'm after.

I personally didn't notice much from Rolfing or any other bodywork in a long-term sense. I get an adjustment once every two weeks, mainly for maintenance (and I'm good friends with my chiro).

I really think the Z-Health joint mobility (and foot drills), even the small amount I do, before every workout, has made the biggest difference. That along with (mostly) proper Paleo dieting, enough O-3s, and plenty of magnesium.

Since I trade with the Thai massage practitioner (she wants to come in for workouts), I'm thinking a once-a-week session of Thai, every-other-week adjustment, my daily minimum of joint mobility, and a once-a-week session of full-body joint mobility plus foam rolling (sandwiching a weekend day workout) will keep me in darn good prehab shape. :cool:

Scott Kustes
11-07-2007, 07:57 AM
I'll have to see if the masseuse I went to yesterday offers Thai massage. I had my first paid-for professional massage yesterday (have had a few by people in massage school) with the focus being my back and hamstrings. He spent a lot of time on my upper left back and around my left shoulder, which was all tighter than the right side (two dislocations and surgery on the left side in the past 6 months). My shoulder feels downright awesome today after getting those muscles loosened.

Robb Wolf
11-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Good Thai massage is amazing. I received massage and learned a good bit of the initial sequence when I was in Chaing Mai learning thai boxing. Great stuff.

Garrett Smith
11-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Scott,
Use the term massage therapist. Masseuse is a term that tends to imply that you'll be getting a "happy ending", as Allen mentioned. Thought you should know...

Scott Kustes
11-08-2007, 06:05 AM
Haha...well alright. I shouldn't use "masseuse" anyway as it's technically a female massage therapist. The correct term for a male is "masseur".

Derek Simonds
11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
I was talking with my wife about Thai massage. She is in massage school currently and studying Asian massage modalities. Two things she shared with me.

1) Thai massage is the lazy mans yoga. No wonder I am so interested in it. :D
2) She said there are very few actual Thai Massage Therapist's in America. She said a lot of people claim to do Thai massage and maybe even apply some of the techniques but to truly learn you have to go to Thailand and study for many years.

And here I was hoping that she would need to practice some of the techniques on me this weekend.

Garrett Smith
11-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Derek,
Guys like us need some time to be lazy, right?

Oh well, maybe my massage therapist isn't technically "Thai CertifiedTM", but whatever she did, I'll do it again!

sarena kopciel
11-19-2007, 06:18 PM
This guy is the real deal and he is amazing!
http://www.deonthaiyoga.com/ (W/f/s)
He passed through NYC every so often and I am hooked. You can prob arrange for him to come your way if you set up a few days worth of clients. Def worth it!

Garrett Smith
11-29-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm so glad I'm getting the gym started (the affiliate fee gets paid today! YES!). I need to start having CF classes so I can trade with the thai massage therapist!

Once a week sounds perfect right now.

sarena kopciel
11-29-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm so glad I'm getting the gym started (the affiliate fee gets paid today! YES!). I need to start having CF classes so I can trade with the thai massage therapist!

Once a week sounds perfect right now.

Once again, best of luck. You around hat last week in Dec--btwn Xmas and New Years? Maybe I will snag a friend and come play...

Garrett Smith
11-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Sarena,
As things go when starting a business (and with all of mine and my wife's families in Tucson), I won't be going anywhere around the holidays. You're very welcome to stop by!