PDA

View Full Version : powerblocks

Frank Needham
11-09-2007, 06:08 AM
What do you all think of this for use at the office? http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/spo/473294930.html
Our schedule is a 1/2 hour break at 9:30am and 1/2 hour break at 12noon. I could place this in my office and get one or two good 1/2 hour workouts in a week.

Mike ODonnell
11-09-2007, 07:07 AM
I dont think they are $1200 new.....but for $250 sounds like a good deal for up to 90lbs...they are space savers and good to use for pressing/pulling if that is why you want them. (more traditional BB style exercises) You are not going to be able to do snatch, clean, or anything too complicated with it due to how the handle structure is and the latching mechanism for holding the weights in place. (pretty sure but I never tried it personally...didn't want plates falling on my head) I'd say do some pushups and use the money to get a standing pull up bar/dip....but that's just me.

Don Stevenson
11-10-2007, 05:33 AM
I had a pair of powerblocks for about 4 years and sold them a few weeks ago because i barely used them once i found kettlebells and then crossfit.

They work well for traditional bodybuilding stuff but as Mike said i wouldn;t swing them or snatch them.

I'd take the money any buy your self a kettlebell or two (16 and 24kg) and maybe a single set of moderately heavy hex dumbells, abmat etc.

Frank Needham
11-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Yeah, didn't think about the lock feature, that would be a bad feature doing explosive moves. Great call on the pull up bar, I've got a pair of rings already hung from a bar joist in one the control rooms on the plant where I work. I've got a full set of hexes up to 65lb. Maybe I'll just take one or two of the heavier ones to work for doing swings or one handed moves until another set pops up on craigslist. I knew I should have bought that set I saw a while back that was listed for $100!!