PDA

View Full Version : anybody got student-friendly resources?

Yael Grauer
11-09-2007, 06:15 AM
I was wondering if anybody had any info on studies etc. about Paleo or even just about diabetes and glycemic index and blood sugar and yadda yadda that I could use with my 8th graders? I want it to be scientifically proven. It might even be fun to have two conflicting articles so they could pick which one they agree with and why...

Actually they also need practice in reading and summarizing scientific articles too so if anybody has any I could use... A 5th/6th grade reading level with limited big words would be ideal.

I want to spend about four class days on this in my homeroom class.

Mike ODonnell
11-09-2007, 07:13 AM
I am sure you can Google and get lots of simple info on the whole GI index. While it does prove a point about blood sugar and rates of absorption...it's kind of a load of crap in my book since no one should be eating a "carb" only meal...as the blood sugar/insulin response is from the whole meal combined...fat..protein..carbs. But it does show that eating sugar and carbs alone is not a good idea. Also shows how all those "instant" foods people "think" are healthy like oatmeal are basically the same as white bread when it comes to the body and blood sugar levels.

Yael Grauer
11-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Not asking for opinions, but for articles specifically written for kids that are accurate if anybody has any. All the ed sources I've found have articles about the food pyramid and crap.