PDA

View Full Version : Podcast: Good Calories, Bad Calories

Tyler Weir
11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
CBC's Quirks and Quarks interviewed Gary Taubes, author of Good Calories, Bad Calories.

Found it here - wfs: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=24009

Direct link - wfs: http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/archives/07-08/nov17.html

Mike ODonnell
11-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the post....good listen.

Troy Archie
11-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Wow just I heard the show the other day and was really taken by it and decided to ask for the book for X-mas.

Tyler Weir
11-22-2007, 07:20 AM
The thing that I'm wrestling with now is between IF, Paleo, very low carb and calorie restriction, what's the best thing, or combination of things to do to increase general health.

I'm attempting IF again, the first time lead to terrible headaches and I had to go back to a normal eating schedule.

I had a lot of success with Zone sizing and now I'm Zone sizing with Paleo-only foods and that's been pretty good.

Damn black box testing! :)

Jay Cohen
11-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Wow just I heard the show the other day and was really taken by it and decided to ask for the book for X-mas.

If I could ship easily to you, I'd send you mind, it's a tough read!!!!

Jane Michel
11-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know when the paperback version is coming out? $47 is a bit expensive :/

Jay Cohen
11-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Does anyone know when the paperback version is coming out? $47 is a bit expensive :/

List Price: $27.95
Price: $18.45 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $9.50

Troy Archie
11-22-2007, 08:12 PM
The thing that I'm wrestling with now is between IF, Paleo, very low carb and calorie restriction, what's the best thing, or combination of things to do to increase general health.

They're all different things for starters.

Paleo eating is food that, as best as possible mimics what our Paleolithic ancestors ate. Foods that are unprocessed is the key along with foods that can eaten without cooking; ie grains, beans, dairy.

IF is eating your required caloric intake in a smaller eating window instead of it being spread out over the day.

Very Low Carb eating comes pretty much hand in hand with the two above. You'll find it extremely hard to eat a high carb diet if you eat mainly leafy and cruciferous veggies. Keep fruit to a minimum and you'll be set.

As for calorie restriction; that's a dirty dirt. Fasting helps with that as it reduces the required caloric intake due to better digestion and utilization of the nutrients and macro-calories you eat letting you eat less to maintain.

So yes, you tie them all into a nice neat little package and it'll take care of itself. Best way to implement all this is to start Paleo, then go lower carb, throw in IF and less food will take care of itself.

Jane Michel
11-23-2007, 01:37 AM
List Price: $27.95
Price: $18.45 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $9.50

I live in another country.

Tyler Weir
11-23-2007, 04:52 AM
Thanks for that breakdown, as I mentioned, I'm Paleo now and trying IF again.

My diet does have a lot fruit in it though, so I should increase the leafy greens and decrease the fruits.

Jay Cohen
11-23-2007, 06:57 AM
I live in another country.

Bummer.
What country?

Greg Davis
11-23-2007, 01:10 PM
The Q&Q podcast should be a regular on everyones rss feed reader.... (a Canadian plug)

Jane Michel
11-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Bummer.
What country?

Yeah it is hehe. Singapore.

Jay Cohen
11-24-2007, 05:14 AM
Yeah it is hehe. Singapore.

Alicia;

I'd save my money and just tap the wealth of information on this site, PM journal and other sites, like Modern Forager, etc. The book is a very challening read, least for me, and I'm not sure when done reading, it will change my eating habits, as I'm following a low carb, IF, Paleo diet presently.
Since I don't preach to the choir to make converts to CF or my eating habits, the need for in depth study of the history of Carbs, low fat, hight fat, exercisie is maybe overkill in my situation, though I know others on the boards will just eat it up.

Just my two cents for today.

Jane Michel
11-24-2007, 06:27 AM
I'd save my money and just tap the wealth of information on this site, PM journal and other sites, like Modern Forager, etc. The book is a very challening read, least for me, and I'm not sure when done reading, it will change my eating habits, as I'm following a low carb, IF, Paleo diet presently.
Since I don't preach to the choir to make converts to CF or my eating habits, the need for in depth study of the history of Carbs, low fat, hight fat, exercisie is maybe overkill in my situation, though I know others on the boards will just eat it up.

Hey Jay. Nah I do want to read it because I like understanding how things work.

Jay Cohen
11-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Hey Jay. Nah I do want to read it because I like understanding how things work.

Understand. Looks like you'll have to weight for the paperback to come out.
Have a good weekend.

Allen Yeh
11-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Cool listen, I'll ahve to put this on my list of books to read.

Stuart Mather
11-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks for that breakdown, as I mentioned, I'm Paleo now and trying IF again.

My diet does have a lot fruit in it though, so I should increase the leafy greens and decrease the fruits.

Eating a lot of fruit certainly isn't paleo Tyler. Modern fruit has been selectively bred for flavour and fructose since the neolithic. True paleo fruits, similar to the ones consumed by traditional living Austrailian Aborigines, and still growing wild in some parts of Australia you know where to look are hardly sweet at all. Even the 'starchy' tubers are pretty low in carbohydrate, being mostly fiber. All of which adds up to the so often overlooked fact that paleo sources of carbohydrate could never have amounted to more than a minor fraction of energy intake, because non of them were very energy dense, and would have taken a lot of effort for very little result. Coconuts are a very energy dense food, but they're a major source of fat, not carbohydrate

Without beating around the bush I think it's fair to say fructose is a metabolic poison in any amount. A little probably won't do you a lot of damage. But the less the better. Berries if you must, but most far lower carb veggies have at least as many flavonoids and antioxidants as berries. No question they aren't as delicious though. The human palate has a real thing for sugar. Which just wasn't selected out during the paleolithic because there wasn't much around, so there was no need to.

Eating a lot of fruit means that you won't have made much of a transition to being a fat burner, even though paleo is often assumed to be 'low (er) carb'. Long (fasting) periods without carbohydrate intake for a carb burner seem to produce headaches pretty reliably. If you really do want the health/bodycomp benefits of Low Carb/IF you'll have to ditch the fruit and force your metabolism to happily burn fat first, which unfortunately doesn't happen overnight. Sorry if I sound too blunt but consuming modern fruit is not paleo.

Stuart

Greg Davis
12-03-2007, 06:45 AM
"Listener feedback on our interview with Gary Taubes, author of Good Calories, Bad Calories."

qq-2007-12-01_06-Good-Bad Calories revisited
http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/quirks_20071201_4057.mp3

Tyler Weir
12-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Eating a lot of fruit certainly isn't paleo Tyler. <snip>

Hey Stuart, I agree with you, I'm in the process of changing my carb sources to vegetable sources, and using fruit as a far less frequent treat.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Troy Archie
12-03-2007, 09:23 PM
"Listener feedback on our interview with Gary Taubes, author of Good Calories, Bad Calories."

qq-2007-12-01_06-Good-Bad Calories revisited
http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/quirks_20071201_4057.mp3

Holly shit, that feedback hurt me. The first person's argument was strange. He's complaining that Taubes' main arguement isn't based off science but information from back in the 50's, which is was Taubes' was talking about in regards to the low fat diet hypothesis.

As for the animal protein comment and causing diabetes, I'm honestly speechless. Can anyone say vegetarian? I don't know if I could sit down and have a conversation about diet with a person like that without losing all cool.

Mike ODonnell
12-03-2007, 09:34 PM
that Taubes' main arguement isn't based off science but information from back in the 50's

Isn't that how modern medicine and doctors are educated?