PDA

View Full Version : avoiding fructose

Jordan Glasser
11-23-2007, 08:29 PM
In the last month I have really stabilized my diet. I have also been lucky enough to get into a regular sleeping pattern. The combination of those two factors have lead to some good athletic achievements, as well as a leaner physique.

I have been trying to eat seasonally, and as a result haven't had any fruit in over a month. My carbs have been coming from mostly root vegetables (carrots, yams, and sweet potatoes), and a big plate of something green every few days (broccoli and brussels sprouts as of late).

In a quest for another "diet experiment" (as if paleo, low carb, IF, and seasonal isn't enough), I would like to try and keep my fructose levels to a minimum.

My staples in my diet are the following.

olive oil
coconut oil
Fish oil
raw cocoa nibs
grassfed buffalo/cow
canned tuna
wild fish/seafood
carrots
sweet potatoes
yams
onions
broccoli
brussels sprouts
zuchinni
Real fermented sauerkraut
apple cider vinegar

It's been hard to find cold hard facts on foods that are high in fructose. Onions and carrots appear to be high, but I seem to get mixed signals in the searches I've done on what foods to avoid.

So.....I guess i am looking for the following:
knowledge on some good carbohydrate sources that are low in fructose.
If anyone here is on a low fructose diet and their thoughts
or anyone's thoughts in general would be greatly appreciated!

Jane Michel
11-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Cordain has a table on his Paleo page: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_tools/fruits_table.html

Hope this helps!

Jordan Glasser
11-24-2007, 10:19 AM
That list will definitely come in handy, but it seems to only list fruits. I'd love to get my hands on an equivalent list with vegetables.

Chris Forbis
11-24-2007, 10:45 AM
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Doesn't always have the sugar breakdown, but frequently it will.

Jane Michel
11-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Sorry about that I should have read your post more carefully Jordan. Is there any reason you are experimenting with fructose rather than glycemic load?

Jordan Glasser
11-25-2007, 02:36 AM
good question.
I've been low carb, paleo, IF approach. So, glycemic load is often my friend. Having said that, most of us here know very well how the body reacts to foods with a high GI. The whole fructose thing is a bit of a black box experiment I'd like to try. For one, I've been trying to eat seasonally, hence no fruit. But, if I don't eat fruit, and consequently eat vegetables high in fructose, and high in GI, how would body differentiate between the two? Part of the reason I want my body to know what season it is because I live in a mountain town and do a lot of outdoor winter activities. My body fat is at a lower percentage then it's been all my life, and last year, I was way too cold when snowboarding. But, being around 10% should be more then adequate to insulate. So, I'm looking for an alternative approach to sync my body to stay warm in the cold. Will it work, I have no idea! I don't think I'd be able to notice any changes in performances in the gym (hard to get PR's in weightlifting and metcons when your legs are like lead from snowboarding), or overall health, but perhaps in quality of sleep, and overall warmth during these colder months.

Garrett Smith
11-25-2007, 07:13 AM
I thought www.whfoods.com would have the info you wanted in the "In-Depth Nutritional Profile" they have of most foods, but alas, it's a no go.

They do have lots of other cool info though.

Christie Von
11-25-2007, 10:07 AM
You might also try this link (w/f/s) http://www.nutritiondata.com/tools/nutrient-search.

You can search for food of all types that are highest or lowest in any type of macro- or micro- nutrient.

Enjoy.

Jordan Glasser
11-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all the links. It's pretty strange the amount of info available on foods, yet, the sugar breakdown is often missing. I am either on to something big...... or am barking up the wrong tree....

Plus, to be honest, I don't even know what "alot" of fructose would look like? I hate to say it....but I finally found a use for a nutritionist.

Garrett Smith
11-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Jordan,
If you think there's a dearth of info on fructose on the internet, be cautious of what you expect from a nutritionist.

They'll look at your diet experiments and think you're wacky right off the bat--as you obviously don't get enough fiber (no grains) and you're way short in calcium (no dairy).

You may get better search results by looking for a "low fructose diet".

Here's some links I found:
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/digestive-health/nutrition/low-fructose-diet.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption#Foods_of_concern
http://www.bu.edu/aldolase/HFI/treatment/index.html
The above links were found by googling "fructose content foods".

Jordan Glasser
11-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Jordan,
If you think there's a dearth of info on fructose on the internet, be cautious of what you expect from a nutritionist.

I was trying to be a little sarcastic with finding a use for a nutritionist....
There are always good practitioners out there somewhere so I don't want to offend.....

In my head I've been avoiding fruits in an attempt to maintain a seasonal approach to eating. Since, for the most part I am embarking on a low carb paleo approach 12 months a year, I've been trying to give my body signals through diet that it's not summer anymore (other then environmental signals). But, as it turns out, even without fruit, I do eat vegetables that have a relatively high levels of fructose. Not equal to a diet of eating alot of fruits, but prevalent none the less. Perhaps I need to examine this approach as a ratio, and as long as glucose is higher then fructose, then I'm doing what I hope.

On a side note, I grew up in pretty cold winters, and on one hell of a grain filled diet. And was never cold. So basically, I'm trying to recreate, without grains, a similar liking to cold weather.

Back to the links I've been recommended, it's funny how it's hard to find breakdowns of sugars in all foods. It's there in some places, but incomplete for the most part.

Despite some incomplete info, good reads and knowledge has helped out for sure!

Garrett Smith
11-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Jordan,
You are right, there are good practitioners in every field, even mine...

As for high fructose veggies, if a veggie is seasonal and has a high ratio of fructose to glucose yet is still low in active carbs, are you going to find concern in that?

Jordan Glasser
11-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Jordan,
You are right, there are good practitioners in every field, even mine...

As for high fructose veggies, if a veggie is seasonal and has a high ratio of fructose to glucose yet is still low in active carbs, are you going to find concern in that?

I don't think I would. I was just hoping to experiment with eating carbs that have more glucose then fructose. It seems every winter I've been getting colder, and I'm just digging for possible answers. When I did live in a colder climate, I ate nothing but breads, pastas, and "starches" and was never cold. I am not about to say that fructose has anything to do with it, but it's definitely something I am curious about. For one, the lack of info has made me believe that this is something that hasn't really been studied in detail. (Most foods are broken down into every possible nutrient, yet the types of sugars are often left out.) Secondly, and I have eluded to this before, but I'm curious whether the amounts of fructose in our diets changed seasonally. And if mimicking it would offer any benefits. And lastly, my philosophy with all this diet experimenting, if you are not going to do it 100%, then you can't really trust the data. (That's not to say I don't cheat, or havent' cheated, but I do stay strict for lengthy periods to make sure I am getting a proper "sample" of what it is that I am trying.)

Garrett Smith
11-27-2007, 04:38 AM
If you ever want to explore the possibility that iodine deficiency may be playing a role in your body temperature, just PM me. It works well for my patients (few of whom are as disciplined as you are around diet, it seems).