PDA

View Full Version : paleo/crossfit

David Mathews
11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
I read The Paleo Diet For Athletes by Cordain and was wondering something for those of you familiar with it.If he were to write a book called The Paleo Diet for Crossfitters what if any significant changes would there be if any? I was thinking in terms of maybe needing fewer carbs in the recovery meal post workout.Basically what do you think needs adjusting when you are going from a 60-120 minute enduranced based workout to the 10-20 or 30 minute crossfit style plus ME workouts?

Garrett Smith
11-27-2007, 11:37 AM
The standard Paleo Diet, with heavy emphasis on vegetable consumption and maybe a bit of PWO fruit, would be my guess...

Mike ODonnell
11-27-2007, 01:28 PM
My bad...do over....

Basically what do you think needs adjusting when you are going from a 60-120 minute enduranced based workout to the 10-20 or 30 minute crossfit style plus ME workouts?

I would first ask what are your goals (fat loss? performance?. Since most people are fat loss, I'd say the following:

- 60+ min endurance workout? That's overkill unless you are doing something like biking, sports or other things you enjoy.....pwo replenishment can be used as there will be no GH pwo spike accompanied by longer endurance training. In fact, pwo in a small amount with protein may be neccessary considering the amount of catabolic hormones (cortisol) that will occur. Muscle loss is not the goal I assume. Sipping small amounts of carb/protein (4:1 ratio) drinks has also shown to increase performance and lower cortisol in training over 60min.

- 20-30min more intense metcon - No immediate pwo carbs, let the GH spike, add in some recovery carbs 1-2 hours later to help recover. Not much is needed. If you are worried about muscle gain, add some BCAA's 30 min prior.

- ME - Doesn't need pwo carbs. More ATP/CP based training. Don't eat 1-2 hours pwo to keep GH levels peaking. Normal Paleo eating is fine here.

Again you have to adjust eating for your goals....if you are already low BF% and want more performance and train alot, then more PWO carbs may be neccessary. A person with low BF% probably has lower insulin resistance and can handle carbs better than someone who has a higher BF%. (carbs more easily enter the muscle and do not get stored as fat) So many variations with in the macro cycle as well.....3 days off/1 day on pwo....5 days off/2 days reload pwo.....pwo every metcon....etc.

David Mathews
11-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Mike,
For the 20-30 min. metcon type workouts how many grams of carbs pwo are you suggesting?

Mike ODonnell
11-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Mike,
For the 20-30 min. metcon type workouts how many grams of carbs pwo are you suggesting?

Not as simple to answer....as it goes back to your goals, BF% and insulin resistance issues...etc. Most 20-30min will be "somewhat" glycogen depletive depending on the intensity and how "fat adapted" your metabolism is. 20-30min is oxidative (fat and carb fueled) performance unlike say doing 400-800meter sprints which is glycolitic (carb fueled). I would still say no immediate PWO carbs unless you are doing it for pure performance purposes and have other activities you need to engage in (like competitive sports). If you want fat loss wait 60min. If you are eating Paleo carbs (and not quick replenishment with dextrose) then try for a "zone" approach. Also will make a difference how many carbs a day you are taking in and how you spread it apart...aka if you are doing the zone approach. I would say eat Zone amount of carbs based on your body composition and aim for 75% to be in the pwo window (which could be around 60-100g carbs...remember that is approx 75% of your daily carb total) with protein and no fat. The rest of the day can be protein/fat based meals. Should keep you lean and performance high. You will also need to modify based on what you see....if you are not losing fat....dump some of the carbs.....if you are feeling bonked....up some of the carbs. Try starting low and upping a little after each metcon till you reach your balance of performance and fat loss. Remember metcons because they are so long can be maintained on a higher fat diet as well with lower carbs (like a zone base with 3-5x fat blocks). So many variables....so much fun.