PDA

View Full Version : Getting a cattle & coffee farm in Costa Rica?

Garrett Smith
12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Who's with me? Seriously!

http://www.intertica.com/farm.htm
http://www.costaricaweb.com/realest/realfarms.htm
http://www.remaxlostresamigos.com/site/Search.aspx?type=land&page=1

Seems like two of the major topics here at the PMenu are grassfed beef and coffee, so why not grow our own!!!

A fully functional training facility (I'm assuming there is no CF Costa Rica, I didn't look) would be soon following the farm, of course...

Derek Simonds
12-03-2007, 12:50 PM
I am thinking REIT's with real benefits!

I have always wanted a cattle ranch, just never dreamed of Costa.

Scott Kustes
12-03-2007, 12:59 PM
That would be fun. Now to come up with a few million dollars.

Garrett Smith
12-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I saw one of those coffee farms for under $300K...that would include the living accomodations.

Find some locals who are experienced in cattle ranching and/or coffee farming (they work at extremely reasonable rates as Costa Ricans don't seem to want much materially and like the calm life), and give it a go!

Seriously. Maybe a little tourist business on the side, or a small internet business--or maybe not...

Beautiful country, hard work for a couple hours a day, and get back the energy one puts into their food.

Yael Grauer
12-03-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm going to Costa Rica in three weeks.

Mike ODonnell
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Robb Wolf would drink away all the profits in Expresso shots.......

Chris Forbis
12-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I think I'm completely crazy.

I think this is a wonderful idea.

sarena kopciel
12-03-2007, 04:07 PM

Seems like two of the major topics here at the PMenu are grassfed beef and coffee, so why not grow our own!!!

A fully functional training facility (I'm assuming there is no CF Costa Rica, I didn't look) would be soon following the farm, of course...

Awesome idea Dr G. I will even supply the Rabbi so it can be kosher certified k?
Costa RIca is such an amazing place!

Garrett Smith
12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Between Chris Forbis (beef) and Robb Wolf (coffee), all the profits could easily be eaten up...but that's the point, right?

If anyone really wants to discuss this with me further offlist, feel free! Note that I'm not in any particular rush, just wanted to put it out there to see if I could find any co-conspirators in this little community of jock(ette)-nerds of ours...

Sarena, I think the ability to sell kosher grassfed beef would be awesome--you know better than anybody that it's impossible to find!

Jay Cohen
12-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Between Chris Forbis (beef) and Robb Wolf (coffee), all the profits could easily be eaten up...but that's the point, right?

If anyone really wants to discuss this with me further offlist, feel free! Note that I'm not in any particular rush, just wanted to put it out there to see if I could find any co-conspirators in this little community of jock(ette)-nerds of ours...

Sarena, I think the ability to sell kosher grassfed beef would be awesome--you know better than anybody that it's impossible to find!

Have a friend that lived and owned a house in CR. Have another friend that's been traveling there for 6 years, every year for two weeks. He was at one point looking to buy property. Need to reconnect with him.

So, Dr. G, when do we take the exploratory road trip. Count me in. I can do a 7-10 day trip on a moment's notice.

Spanish is a little rusty, all I remember is how to ask the price of coca leaves, but that was in Peru, many moons ago.

sarena kopciel
12-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Have a friend that lived and owned a house in CR. Have another friend that's been traveling there for 6 years, every year for two weeks. He was at one point looking to buy property. Need to reconnect with him.

So, Dr. G, when do we take the exploratory road trip. Count me in. I can do a 7-10 day trip on a moment's notice.

Spanish is a little rusty, all I remember is how to ask the price of coca leaves, but that was in Peru, many moons ago.

I DONT ever drink! But the one time in CR (for a yoga retreat)I had 6 magaritas in an hour or so. Needless to say that evening was difficult. But the next morning, wow I couldnt do my yoga!

Paul Findley
12-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Tequila stories are typically the best, but probably not as good as "the price of coca leaves" story.

Garrett Smith
12-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Jay,
We'll talk...I have to figure out when I can get off of work, and I also want to talk to my soon-retiring father who is interested in investments and gauge his interest in this as well.

Try to reconnect with your friends, see what they think of the current situation down there.

My spanish is a bit rusty, it just needs a good shinin' up. My joke is that my Spanish is good enough to keep me out of jail (hopefully).

Jay Cohen
12-04-2007, 06:42 AM
Jay,
We'll talk...I have to figure out when I can get off of work, and I also want to talk to my soon-retiring father who is interested in investments and gauge his interest in this as well.

Try to reconnect with your friends, see what they think of the current situation down there.

My spanish is a bit rusty, it just needs a good shinin' up. My joke is that my Spanish is good enough to keep me out of jail (hopefully).

Calling/emailing them today.
Will update you after chatting with them and will provide their contact info if you'd like to chat with them.

sarena kopciel
12-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Calling/emailing them today.
Will update you after chatting with them and will provide their contact info if you'd like to chat with them.

Ok so will one of you be arranging a group CF trip to CR? If yeah, I am in. Can we try to time it for a time that school is on break please?:)

Chris Forbis
12-04-2007, 04:12 PM

Hey, I'm down to like 6 pounds a week.

Unfortunately, at the moment "Tengo dolares" doesn't have the same cachet it once did. Maybe "Tengo Euros" will work.

Garrett Smith
12-04-2007, 04:36 PM
What about "tengo carne"? That might come across wrong though...

Chris, if you are interested other than simply thinking it's a good idea, let me know!

Scott Kustes
12-05-2007, 05:27 AM
"Tengo sed! Necesito la cerveza!"
"Deseo una hamburguesa con lechuga y mostaza"

Ok, I had to have a little help translating the second line.

Scott Kustes
12-05-2007, 05:28 AM
Ok, so I'm interested in this, but what's the plan? Are you planning to move to Costa Rica to work the land or what?

Garrett Smith
12-05-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm looking into it, Scott.

I don't see myself enjoying nor thriving in the rat race. I want to go somewhere and do something where this "functional strength" is put to work, I can wake up and go to sleep with the sun, and I can grow/raise my own high-quality food. Getting farm-strong like Paul Anderson would be pretty cool too...

Robert Allison
12-05-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm interested... keep me updated on how the plan evolves. That could also be a great location for a health spa / retreat center.

A guy I used to work with owns a place in CR--I will try to pick his brain a little. Also, some friends and I have been brainstorming about creating an intentional community--many of the organizational structures and other concepts utilized in ICs could be applicable here.

Garrett Smith
12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Robert,
I know where we could find a medical director, totally cheap... :-)

Any info on the IC stuff would be great, everyone still needs community, no matter where they are.

All contributions to the discussion (or in terms of funding, ha) are welcome!

Scott Kustes
12-05-2007, 01:19 PM
I think it would be an awesome idea. While I currently have a desire to live by the ocean, I would also like to live in the middle of nowhere, so long as I can have an internet connection and a phone. I also have a desire to raise my own animals, raise my own food, etc. Given the cost of living, we could probably all be loaded there with the savings we have already.

Garrett Smith
12-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Scott,
In CR, assuming it isn't the rainy season, the beach is never that far away.

Personally, I don't know if I want to live right on the beach, with the whole temperature issue (whatever side you believe, I'll err on the safe side). Then again, the middle of the country has a volcano. Either way, I'd rather live a relaxing life and die in a natural disaster than slowly kill myself with stress and die slowly of chronic disease and subclinical malnutrition here in the States.

I think that between our group, with our physical capacities and intelligence, we could do just fine down there with a bit of internet business and good ol' farming.

The cows down there are nothing like the ones here...in size or shape!

Jamila Bey
12-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Well...

Now that I can't just piddle away my cash because I have no legacy, I am indeed interested in this potential investment.

Even though I wasted my time learning French, becoming conversant, and then losing it all, I can definitely get on board with a beef and beans Spanish thing. Besides, babe-to-be is totally gonna (have to!) speak at least English and Spanish, so a retreat of like-minded folks may be just the thing!

So... is there a conference call we can join in on or website to go to so we can learn more, or is this just in the gaging interest stage?

Allen Yeh
12-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Well...

Now that I can't just piddle away my cash because I have no legacy, I am indeed interested in this potential investment.

Even though I wasted my time learning French, becoming conversant, and then losing it all, I can definitely get on board with a beef and beans Spanish thing. Besides, babe-to-be is totally gonna (have to!) speak at least English and Spanish, so a retreat of like-minded folks may be just the thing!

What??!?

Congrats!

Jamila Bey
12-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks!

So not trying to hijack here, but I have been absent (the 1st trimester narcolepsy was no joke!!!) But I'm almost halfway there I've reappeared!

This thread is strangely appropriate for me to say anything- after hubby and sisters, the next person I told was my accountant! And he assures me I should find some investments as my strategies are wholly inappropriate for someone who will soon have a child to think of.

I've never been so happy in my life!

Garrett Smith
12-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Congrats, Jamila!

I'll call you in about an hour re: your message...

This is still in the gauging interest stage...it sounds like there is enough.

Anyone know of any good resources/books to suggest that I look into to further this process?

I talked to my mother last night about it, she had the normal maternal doubts (...so many people just talk about doing things like this...), while she's telling me about how my father is on the verge of cracking from stress and fatigue (he's a dentist, what did he expect?). Sounds like a perfect time to present the "other" options...

Robert Allison
12-06-2007, 09:56 AM
So... is there a conference call we can join in on or website to go to so we can learn more, or is this just in the gaging interest stage?

Given that we all live in different parts of the country and work different hours, having a forum and wiki might be the most efficient way to have an initial dialog on this topic. And some point, phone conversations would probably be necessary, but I suspect that would be after the concept is refined a little further.

Anyone know of any good resources/books to suggest that I look into to further this process?

Can you be a little more specific? Do you mean the investment aspect? Organizational structure? Community?

Or are you looking for tips on raising beef cattle? :)

Garrett Smith
12-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Robert,
You just exposed how early in the process we are with that question...at this point, I wouldn't know where to begin...

Jay Cohen
12-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I have calls into friends that have owned property in CR and or have traveled there extensivly, not heard back yet.

I like the idea of a possible conference call at one point, but at this stage, if Garrett would consider creating a sub thread on PM or email group, we could all be in the loop, put forth questions, comments, ideas, and at some stage enter into a conference call via one of the free on line services, though in some cases, the "dial in" number is not toll free. I use which works great.

https://www.freeconference.com/Home.aspx

Jay

Garrett Smith
12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
I have no idea how to start a wiki...or even really what one is!

I definitely know how to start a Yahoo! email group...

We definitely have a lot more hashing to do before any kind of conference call would be more than "How cool does this sound?!?" I'll admit, optimism and ideas are my strong suits, whereas my wife is the practical and business-minded one (that's why she manages me, er, I mean my office). I have been told that many of these plans go great until most folks flake out towards the crucial finale...

Any votes as to which one would be better? I'm up for learning about wikis if that's what is called for!

CF Costa Rica & Cattle Farm, I can see it now..."Come and get worked"

Robert Allison
12-06-2007, 01:11 PM
For more info on wikis, start here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki)

I believe that some wiki software has forum functionality built in. A wiki allows for more robust knowledge management than just a forum. Having said that, I am far from an expert in setting one up.

If the tech learning curve is too steep, we might be better off just going with a forum. If the choice is between a forum or an e-mail group, I would vote for the former. E-mail groups are great for notifying members of meetings, etc., but following threads on them can be a chore.

Just my two cents...

sarena kopciel
12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
For more info on wikis, start here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki)

I believe that some wiki software has forum functionality built in. A wiki allows for more robust knowledge management than just a forum. Having said that, I am far from an expert in setting one up.

If the tech learning curve is too steep, we might be better off just going with a forum. If the choice is between a forum or an e-mail group, I would vote for the former. E-mail groups are great for notifying members of meetings, etc., but following threads on them can be a chore.

Just my two cents...

To add on to wiki info, one of our members started one for CFNYC:
www.crossfitwiki.com

Garrett Smith
12-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Any others out there knowledgeable in wikis?

Scott Kustes
12-07-2007, 06:05 AM
I've never done a wiki, though I have installed open-source blogs and storefronts. Someone register a domain at GoDaddy and contact me via email (scott dot kustes at gmail dot com). Once a domain is registered, you can set me up as an Account Executive and I can get in and install MySQL dbs and a PHP wiki setup. We'll have to look around to find a good PHP wiki though. Tikiwiki might work.

Scott Kustes
12-11-2007, 07:11 AM
Did this one die on the vine? If someone has a domain that they don't mind putting the wiki/forum on, it can be done there too. I know between the posters in this thread there are at least 5 domains, myself included. If no one else volunteers and people are still interested, I can install it on my domain.

Garrett Smith
12-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Scott,
We can do it on mine, I thought you needed a whole new/separate domain. Oops.

I'm definitely still interested. I've been casting lines around my folks to see if there is any interest...I think a wiki is a great idea.

Let me know what you need, or I can just put you in contact with my webperson.

Scott Kustes
12-14-2007, 07:03 AM
It was easier for me to just go ahead and upload it since I have full control of my domain: http://www.modernforager.com/crwiki/tiki-index.php I haven't played with any of the Admin controls yet and I'm all for setting up anyone else with full Admin rights to tweak the site to fit your needs. Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll create your user. I'm not sure if there's a way for users to create their own accounts yet. As I said, I have really only installed the app.

Dr. G, I setup you as an Admin. Hopefully you received an email with your login credentials. if not, drop me an email and I'll get them to you.

Garrett Smith
12-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Nice, thanks Scott! I'll check on the email.

Mike Dykstra
12-14-2007, 03:20 PM
This is a pretty cool idea. Selling the meat online could be a profitable business and running other web companies. O yeah I am a long time lurker first time poster. I would be very interested in this venture, been looking to move out of the country and do something else.

Garrett Smith
12-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Scott, just sent you an email, no info as of yet.

Yael Grauer
12-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Some things to watch out for:
1. The roads in CR are sometimes more pothole than road, and the drivers are quite crazy.
2. There are no maps and although there are some street signs, nobody really uses them. Instead they give directions such as "150m left of the church." The worst part of the landmark-based directions is that often the landmarks no longer exist.
3. Inflation in CR is increasing, or maybe the value of the dollar is decreasing.
4. Pickpocketing is very common, as are nice locals who slash your tires and then offer to help you change them, stealing your belongings in the process.
5. The airport was almost as sketchy as the one in New Jersey; you are immediately surrounded by ten strange men offering you rides or taxis and trying to help you with your luggage. Go JKD.
6. There is already a fair-trade shade grown coffee here called Coocafe. They have worked with Equal Exchange... EE is awesome; I toured one of their plants in El Salvador about eight years ago.
7. Make sure your passport is in good condition, expires six months or later from the dates you'll be travelling; keep it locked up in a safe in your hotel (or wherever) and carry a photocopy around.

Yael Grauer
12-30-2007, 12:54 PM
The other big organic coffee here, mostly marketed to tourists, is Cafe Britt. It is $15 in the tourist shops and $6 in the grocery store; I just bought some to give as a gift.

We met this really cool farmer who offered to let us taste some sugar cane after we positively identified it. He was very good with the machete. The cane wasn't bad either, but then I took a nap for an hour... Cane sugar is unrefined isn't it? The verbena that grows here is almost as sweet as stevia. Oh, I was going to say that noni fruit is sold here in the farmer's market for 50 cents a kilo. I asked for just one and they just gave it to me. I can't figure out what all the rage is over this very very bitter tasting fruit. But that might be a good cashmaking opportunity as well.

Garrett Smith
12-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Nice work, Yael.

Your plant knowledge is impressive! Wish I had the time or inclination!

Scott, we need to get working on this.

Yael Grauer
12-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks... I was a Tracker School student. Only things I ever got halfway decent at were knife sharpening and plants...

Oh yeah, one more tip for Costa Rica--bring your own toilet paper...

Yael Grauer
01-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Last C.R. post since I'm coming back to Tucson tomorrow :( but I forgot to let you know about the electricity... There are a lot of rolling power outages if there is not enough rain. Many houses have water pumps so no power = no water.

Also, I threw away my noni fruit because it smelled off but then I read online that it's supposed to smell like blue cheese and sewage. The stuff is nasty. I'm convinced that my goji berries are just as good as mangosteen and noni anyway.

Chris Forbis
01-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Last C.R. post since I'm coming back to Tucson tomorrow :( but I forgot to let you know about the electricity... There are a lot of rolling power outages if there is not enough rain. Many houses have water pumps so no power = no water.

That doesn't sound like anything a wood-burning stove and hand-powered water pump wouldn't fix.

Dave Paton
01-03-2008, 12:57 PM
One bonus of Costa Rica is you can get full health and dental coverage for like $1200 a year. That's why a lot of retirees have gone that route. I have worked/traveled extensively through South and Central America and CR maybe right for what you are looking for. Too many gringos for my liking but that may be right for your business ventures. I plan on retiring early to South America (I'm 29). only a few years more! Garret, if you do plan some type of interest group, let me know.

Garrett Smith
02-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Until I can figure out how to make Costa Rica work, I thought the rest of you might be interested in this opportunity!

Brokenfoot Ranch: A proposed agrarian community in Carroll County, Georgia (http://drbenkim.com/brokenfoot-ranch-community-georgia)

John P. Walsh
02-07-2008, 03:46 AM

Would we have to worship you or anything like that?

Garrett Smith
02-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Not quite.

Mike ODonnell
04-07-2008, 08:54 AM
The more I talk to people about the state of health care, the economy, taxes, the next presidential election.....the more I am ready to pack up and move to costa rica....one way or another....I'm getting more serious about it.....

Garrett Smith
04-07-2008, 10:03 AM
It appears that Coach Davies of Renegade Training has already decided to do so...http://john-davies-renegade.blogspot.com/2008/04/renegade-bootcamp.html...see the "About Me" area down on the right side of the page.

Dave Paton
04-08-2008, 06:18 AM
MOD,

Do it man. Free yourself. At least you would have a good story that you could use later down the line to pick up women.