PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit Cindy

Anton Emery
12-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Tried the Crossfit workout Cindy today, 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 squats. As many rounds as possible in 20 min. I managed to make it to 14 rounds. Looking on the Crossfit site this seems to be on the lower end of the scale. This is my first exposure to this workout, i've mostly been doing stuff from Ross Enamait's books along with my brazillian juijitsu. I just started working out at Crossfit Portland a little while ago. I was able to kip all the pull ups and generally did not have to stop during the pushups and squats. My lack of rounds just seemed to come from being totally out of breath as i got further into the 20 minutes, not muscular fatigue.

I enjoyed this workout, will have to try it again in a few weeks. Doing kipping pull ups in the squat rack pull up bar kind of sucks, i can only kip so hard or the whole thing starts to shake.

Anton

Mike ODonnell
12-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Haven't done that workout in a long while but I think if you are doing unassisted pullups (Not jumping) for 14 rounds that is pretty damn good. I think my max was like 15-16 rounds long ago when I was doing metcons. Good job and I am sure you will see great improvements!

Garrett Smith
12-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Anton,
I have the same problem in my squat rack pullup bar. As I get more tired and my kips become more violent, things get a bit sketchy--and that's with 250+ pounds of KBs as a counterweight!

I don't think 14 rounds is shabby at all for your first time. I also don't think a lot of those really high numbers you see posted are all totally legit--think lots of shorted pushups and squats...not stuff that should be counted.

Derek Weaver
12-04-2007, 06:03 PM
As Garrett said, most of the extremely high times (upwards of 30) aren't totally legit.

Keep up the good work, don't sacrifice form for numbers and you'll notice a significant improvement.

Sam Cannons
12-04-2007, 06:36 PM
For a first time i think 14 rounds is a great effort, i love cindy, i found i got good at it pretty quick and started on like 14 rounds as well, the last time i tested i think it was 23 rounds. You got to learn the pacing and shoot for 1 round a minute for 20 minutes, just another way to look at it, worked for me to get my first 20 rounder. But as far as cindy goes its awsome, and great for conditioning. Keep it up, what kills you the most - squats/pushups/pullups ? i find the squats really get to me after about 13 rounds or so. i dont think its possible to get much higher than about 28 or so ? The best effort i have seen was Greg A do 16 rounds in 10 min.

Sam Cannons
12-04-2007, 06:39 PM
i remember the when i PR on cindy with the 23 rounds i was sore for days (like walking funny sore) !!!! look out for it, hence the slogan 'mess you up'

Anton Emery
12-04-2007, 11:22 PM
The pull ups and pushups are probably the hardest. There were some push up reps where i was just grinding them out. The pull ups seem to tax me more metabolically, with the kipping and all.

Next time i try this i will have to map out some sort of strategy beforehand. Figure out how many rounds should be done by a certain time.

anton

Allen Yeh
12-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Tried the Crossfit workout Cindy today, 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 squats. As many rounds as possible in 20 min. I managed to make it to 14 rounds. Looking on the Crossfit site this seems to be on the lower end of the scale. This is my first exposure to this workout, i've mostly been doing stuff from Ross Enamait's books along with my brazillian juijitsu. I just started working out at Crossfit Portland a little while ago. I was able to kip all the pull ups and generally did not have to stop during the pushups and squats. My lack of rounds just seemed to come from being totally out of breath as i got further into the 20 minutes, not muscular fatigue.

I enjoyed this workout, will have to try it again in a few weeks. Doing kipping pull ups in the squat rack pull up bar kind of sucks, i can only kip so hard or the whole thing starts to shake.

Anton

Nice, my first time I got 11.5 rounds and I was wasted afterwards. That was my first Crossfit workout and it was a mistake for me not to have scaled that down! There were parts of my back sore that I didn't even know I had!

The last time I did Cindy when I was met conning more reguylary I PR'ed at 16 rounds and I was actually timing each round at about 75 seconds. I'm not sure I'd fare as well today though my pullups feel like they aren't up to par like they used to be.

Allen Yeh
12-05-2007, 03:36 AM
i remember the when i PR on cindy with the 23 rounds i was sore for days (like walking funny sore) !!!! look out for it, hence the slogan 'mess you up'

23 Rounds...in my dreams!

My weakness is the pull-ups for just about every met-con. The squats are part of my rest time! Heh.

Steve Liberati
12-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Not trying to boast (just not my thing) but my PR for Cindy is 27 Rounds. All exercises are done to form. Kipping pullups top to bottom. Squats below parallel and pushups chin to floor. Swore I was going to have a heart attack afterwards as I remember laying on the floor for a good 20 mins. If I ever get the guts to push myself again that hard, I will try to get it on videotape.

David Aguasca
12-05-2007, 06:03 AM
most i've ever gotten has been 15 rounds...but i haven't done it in a long time.

the pushups always kick my ass. that 15 rounds is with the last 5-6 rounds doing only 7-8 pushups....

my first CF workout was fran. BOY, was that a mistake. i had taught myself how to kip before i did fran, so i did all the PUs as Rxed (60lbs thrusters)...holy crap, was i sore. the eccentric loading at the bottom of the PUs caused such bad DOMS, i couldn't do any pulling motions for a week, no joke...it was like i was paralyzed.

Mike ODonnell
12-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Not trying to boast (just not my thing) but my PR for Cindy is 27 Rounds.

I would need a trampoline below the pullup bar...a huge spring coming out my ass for squats and weigh 40lbs less to get that number.....and yes...you were trying to boast :p

Derek Simonds
12-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Aw this is like a little I remember session. :D

I remember the first time I completed Cindy I was out in LA doing a seminar and I managed 12 rounds. It was so horrible I kind of coasted through the next 3 hours until lunch.

The worst thing is even when I was doing pure xFit the most rounds I ever hit was 14. Someone told me the key to Cindy and Tabata Something Else was to actively pull yourself down in the squats. I have done several tabata's in the past year and have never been able to break 15 for the squats.

It's funny when you see the named WOD's and remember your first time and how you felt afterward.

I think the two worst first timers for me were FGB and Filthy 50. On Filthy 50 I was 45 minutes in and I had scaled several of the exercises, staring at 50 burpees, and all I could think was there is no humanly way possible that someone could do all of this stuff in under an hour and live.

Yep good times. Thank God Greg has me on the right MetCon path now.

Allen Yeh
12-05-2007, 07:47 AM
I think the two worst first timers for me were FGB and Filthy 50. On Filthy 50 I was 45 minutes in and I had scaled several of the exercises, staring at 50 burpees, and all I could think was there is no humanly way possible that someone could do all of this stuff in under an hour and live.

Linda....I even scaled the multipliers down....I think this crippled me for a week, in part due to my horrible clean form.

Mike ODonnell
12-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Someone told me the key to Cindy and Tabata Something Else was to actively pull yourself down in the squats

I have plenty of practice on that....pulling myself down onto a bar stool.....onto the couch at home....etc.....

Seriously though all those squats caused major knee inflammation and pain for me due to the repetition and already banged up knees from hockey....so hence no more high rep air squats for me...that and I like my legs useful for skating, biking and running on the other days.

Scotty Hagnas
12-05-2007, 09:22 AM
I remember back in the early days pre-Cindy that the very similar workout "Chelsea" would come up every so often. (5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats every minute on the minute for 30 minutes) The first time I tried it, it crushed me metabolically and seemed impossible. A few months later, I was able to complete it, but was a wreck. I went to riding practice several hours later, and I still didn't have the strength to even control the bike just riding it normally. Good times!

Garrett Smith
12-05-2007, 09:28 AM
My first main CF workout was "Tabata Something Else". I actually think I had a very mild case of rhabdo after that in my legs. Don't do that one early on.

I think the most I ever got on Cindy was around 16 rounds. The pushups crush me too, then again, I always do them on pushup handles and go nose-to-floor. That score also may have even been doing L-pullups in my squat rack (I didn't have anywhere else to do fixed-bar pullups!). Much harder and I believe that more benefit is gained (greater ROM, therefore more work is done per pushup completed). I could care less about the scores posted on the comment board or quoted by people, because my progress is about my progress, and if a world record workout happens but no one videos it, did it really happen?

Kind of like telling people you got a hole-in-one and no one else saw it.

Nothing against you, Steve. I would believe your scores/times.

Derek, I think if you worked on your Tabata speed squats, stopping sets if you got below one rep per second, it would definitely help your OLs.

Derek Simonds
12-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I saw some video with Coach B instructing a guy to do 50 jump squats with the bar in 1 minute. I did 25 in 30 seconds and thought I was going to expire right on the spot.

I will add in some 20 second squat sets as a GTG over the next couple of weeks and see how they feel. No multiple sets just one at a time.

On the tabata and high speed air squats how low do you guys go. when I air squat I have always done a2a. Probably partly do to the lack of strength to stop me before I crash into my ankles when pulling my body down that aggressively.

Gant Grimes
12-05-2007, 11:11 AM
You can cure your pushup, pullup, and squat problems in 9 minutes a week. Here's a graph of my progression doing 12 weeks of Tabata (actually 3 weeks Tabata, one week test, repeat).

I went from 19 rounds of Cindy to 24 rounds in 3 months doing these supplemental exercises. I did Chelsea yesterday with 18 seconds to spare on my last round. I could've gone another 5-10 rounds at least. They also helped me do all the Heroes workouts in under 3 hours of workout time.

I'm convinced that Tabatas are the most powerful way to increase ability in the component CF exercises in minimal time. You can also slap them on the end of a CA WOD without overloading yourself.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=20405

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/gantgrimes/tabtopweeks.jpg

Garrett Smith
12-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Derek,
I don't go A2A in the Tabata squats, just hip crease below top of the knee. Or the good old "down to the medicine ball", as long as it's deep enough.

I stay higher on Tabata squats as I feel like A2A without any external loading done rapidly leads to a lot of butt winking (not much to tense one's posterior chain against) and overloads the ligaments in too rapid a succession in the bounces out of the bottom. I do go A2A in all of my externally weighted squats and OLs. Time and place for everything.

Your speed in the Tabata squats may instantaneously improve if you start going to this depth.

Kevin Perry
12-05-2007, 01:33 PM
hmm so far my highest on Cindy is 20 rounds. Gonna try for 25 next time.

Gant Grimes
12-05-2007, 02:14 PM
The pull ups and pushups are probably the hardest. There were some push up reps where i was just grinding them out. The pull ups seem to tax me more metabolically, with the kipping and all.

Next time i try this i will have to map out some sort of strategy beforehand. Figure out how many rounds should be done by a certain time.

anton

Anton, read my Tabata link above. I used to break pullups and pushups up. After Tabata, I can do them straight through on Chelsea without interruption.

Another benefit of Tabata is that your body becomes accustomed to recovering in the ten second rest. When I did 24 rounds, I set out to start a new round every 50 seconds, no matter what. I finished each round in 38-42 seconds. The last few rounds went as smoothly as the first.

I'd recommend staggering the workout so you get 10 seconds of rest in between rounds. The key is to reduce the time you spend doing the round, not reduce your recovery time. Set out to start the first 10 rounds on the minute (work 50, rest 10). Do the next five every 1:10 (work 70 seconds, rest 10). Do the rest every 1:20 (work 80 seconds, rest 10). You can get 18 rounds this way.

Adjust accordingly.

Garrett Smith
12-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Good advice, Gant! I like it.

I love "gaming" the WODs. Too bad I have no desire to score really highly on them, I know I'd be really good at doing things similar to your description.

Personally, I like the CA WOD metcons because I really don't have to take much rest at all, which means my CNS recovers a lot faster between workouts--something that didn't happen well with CF.

Kyle Sattgast
12-05-2007, 08:48 PM
My PR with Cindy is 19 rounds. This was one of my first CF workouts back in May. Man, I went all out at the beginning and just crashed not to long into it. I got 8 rounds and spent about 20 minutes laying on a locker room bench while my body tried to decide whether to continue living. It made a good choice.

Allen Yeh
12-06-2007, 04:03 AM
Derek,
I don't go A2A in the Tabata squats, just hip crease below top of the knee. Or the good old "down to the medicine ball", as long as it's deep enough.

I stay higher on Tabata squats as I feel like A2A without any external loading done rapidly leads to a lot of butt winking (not much to tense one's posterior chain against) and overloads the ligaments in too rapid a succession in the bounces out of the bottom. I do go A2A in all of my externally weighted squats and OLs. Time and place for everything.

Your speed in the Tabata squats may instantaneously improve if you start going to this depth.

100% in agreement here.

Mark Brinton
12-06-2007, 12:52 PM
To follow up on some earlier observations; I love Crossfit & having been doing it for 2 years now. I find the competitive part of the workouts particularly motivating. But...yes, the scores on the main message board are often "interesting". My take is that 50% are probably legit. Of the 50% percent that are not legit, I'd say that a sizable chunk of that is due to well-intentioned ignorance of properly executed form; the remaining portion is just flat-out questionable.

I do Cindy about once-a-month because I think it is just a fantastic benchmark of fitness. My average is 14. My PR is 17. My first score was 10 and, as others have shared, it laid me up for the whole afternoon.

Leo Soubbotine
12-07-2007, 06:48 AM
It gotten to the point that pullups are the easiest part of it, pushups are okay and squats get me everytime now.

I personally don't like Cindy or any 20 min workouts.

Mary is okay since it's much more challenging.