PDA

View Full Version : New products at US Wellness Meats

Greg Davis
12-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Thought I'd give a heads up that I recently tried 2 new products from US Wellness Meats, that can be found here:
http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories.bok?category=Beef+Jerky%2C+Franks%2C+Sa usage%2C+Bacon++%26+Pemmican

Braunsweiger
- a new 50/50 mix of grass-fed trim and grass-fed beef liver retailed in a fully cooked 1 pound package ready to slice and serve.

Head Cheese
- an interesting mix of grass-fed beef heart, tongue, and beef trim. This fully cooked product is ready to slice and serve.

They are both delicious and relatively cheap. Its interesting that they are adding more "variety meat" products- stuff like this seems to me to be the most nutritious meat products and its made from the stuff I suspect they would otherwise discard.

Garrett Smith
12-05-2007, 12:40 PM
What exactly is "beef trim"? Is it just the trimmings off other cuts of meat?

I had no idea that head cheese was made of organ meats...

Greg, quite simply, the more nutritious a food item, the less most Americans value it. Veggies are the most obvious example...

Scott Kustes
12-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Dr. G, I don't complain though when it comes to organ meats. I can load up on grassfed liver, heart, and tongue for $2 a pound and it makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

Chris Forbis
12-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Their Braunschweiger is awesome.

I just got some tubs of their Pemmican. Trying it out tomorrow...

Garrett Smith
12-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Sounds good. Perfect easy-to-transport-to-work food. Thanks guys!

Robert Allison
12-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Their pemmican rocks... I eat it all the time.

Scott, I hear you. The organ meats are the only cuts that are really affordable at my local health food store. Probably because nobody buys them, except for people like us.

Given the looks I get from co-workers and friends, I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Garrett Smith
12-06-2007, 06:52 AM
I really need to get on the organ meat bandwagon again. I don't think I'll ever be going back to the liver "meat shakes" though.

The looks I get at the office with my smoked herring, sardines, anchovies, raw cauliflower, etc. are bad enough.

If people ask what I'm eating, I'll just tell them "never mind". Or maybe try some Jedi mind trick...

Greg Davis
12-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Well the Braunsweiger and head cheese are sorta unsuspecting. Don't smell too strong and can pass as sausage. :>

Robert Allison
12-06-2007, 07:57 AM
I really need to get on the organ meat bandwagon again. I don't think I'll ever be going back to the liver "meat shakes" though.

I remember you talking about those and just thinking... Damn.

I tried one of those and it was truly dreadful. Do you still use the Leviticus 11 powder? I am ordering some of that today.

Garrett Smith
12-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Robert,
I'm not really making any shakes these days, as I've simplified my diet (and my wife hates me using the blender to prep them at 5:30am!).

Lunch: Meat (animal protein) and salad or other raw veggies
Dinner: Extra meat and cooked veggies

Doesn't leave much space for a shake. If I was interested in gaining mass or if I get to the point in the CA WOD that I just need more Calories, I may start using the powders again (coconut milk, pineapple, and glandular powders, maybe some hemp protein too, for a hearty drink). I do think those powders are great.

That's why I'm excited about these pre-prepared organ meat goodies. I can eat organs at least once a day at the office, and I can prepare muscle meat for my wife and I at night (she won't go near the organs, at all, no way no how).

I must say, while it isn't Paleo, I really do like the raw goat's milk that I can get at a health food store a half mile away...that could be utilized if more Calories become required as well.

Chris Forbis
12-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Inspired by Dr. G, I've been using the desiccated liver powder.

4-5 oz. pineapple juice, 2 tbsp liver powder, 1 serving hemp protein powder, 1 tbsp Carlson's fish oil, 12g creatine.

Taste is tolerable. I have it post-workout, so three days a week.

Tried out the pemmican today. It is pretty good. Ate it around 3.5 hours after the PWO shake. Really hit the spot appetite wise. Which is good, because by then I'm usually really damn hungry.

Maybe adding some coconut milk to the shake will help with the hunger?

Jay Cohen
12-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Just picked up a few pounds of Grass Fed Beef Suet and will attempt to make some Pemmican next few days. Also picked up two hearts/liver/ and some more tongue. It's going to be a great weekend spent in the kitchen, though the rendering of the suet will be interesting so say the least.

I was in this great old deli in Cleveland today for lunch, waitress didn't bat an eye as I ordered scrambled eggs & tongue with smoked white fish on the side.
My buddy ordered a Brisket Sandwich, was about 5 inches high, came on homemade black rye bread. Kosher pickles snapped when you bit into them.

Yum

Garrett Smith
12-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Chris,
I do think that some form of fat will help with satiety, coconut milk (light or not) would be a good one. Also, using frozen pineapple will also add a little bulk (which may or may not help after the hemp protein).

Once I grew accustomed to the liver powder taste (I also used a bit of the adrenal and thymus powders with it), it wasn't bad at all. Actually, now that I've been talking about this more lately, I feel like I want to start having it again. It could easily be because the CA WODs are stimulating my anabolism and more fuel for the fire is desired.

Ari Kestler
01-24-2008, 03:12 PM
What are everyone's favorite cuts of (non-organ) meat to order off US wellness? I've tried a few but have yet to find one that I REALLY like.

Ken Rich
01-25-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm a big fan of the tenderloin kabobs.

I also recently tried the tri-tip steaks and the flank steak and I thought both were excellent.

Ken