PDA

View Full Version : Homemade squat rack

Patrick McIntosh
12-05-2007, 02:47 PM
I was thinking you could stick a 4x4 into an 8 gallon bucket, fill the bucket with cement, and viola. The top of the 4x4's would have a V notch cut into them as to cradle the bar.

I've looked around and haven't seen anyone do this - despite how simple/cheap it would be. Is that because it wouldn't work and I'm the only one who doesn't realize it?

Greg Everett
12-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I've seen this done. I think it was Carla Mac in a barn in North Dakota. Just make the bases are as wide as possible.

William Hunter
12-05-2007, 03:11 PM
I've seen this done. I think it was Carla Mac in a barn in North Dakota. Just make the bases are as wide as possible.

I remember the picture, thinking how cool and easy an idea it was. Of course, I'd find a way to mess it up if I were building it...but I already have a rack :)

Patrick, post a pic if you build one.

Patrick Donnelly
12-06-2007, 08:00 PM
4x4's work great.

The notch isn't too clear in this picture, but it's there.
http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/174/squatrackem8.jpg

Frank Needham
12-07-2007, 07:21 AM
A suggestion, find a piece of 2 inch "C" angle iron and whack off 2-3 inches X2. Bolt those to the tops of your uprights and the resting points for the bar would be much more secure. Love the idea overall. Another thought would be to add an "X" underneath each bucket for stability. Those could easily be made from angle iron as well as lagged through the bucket bottoms into the concrete.

Patrick Donnelly
12-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Re: Frank
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much effort.

Garrett Smith
12-08-2007, 06:54 AM
I'd second and third what Greg and Frank said--without adding too much work, it would be a lot safer to widen the base somehow. Either way, enjoy the work (be it squatting or whatever)!

Patrick McIntosh
12-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Well I finally got my act together and purchased the materials. Pat, do you have any tips on leveling the posts? I figure I'll just make the cement mix as thick as possible so they are less likely to lean.

Pics when I'm done.

Patrick McIntosh
12-19-2007, 02:45 PM
For anyone that's wondering, these things feel really solid. I used 50 lbs of cement per bucket. The weakest link is probably the protruding lip on the bottom of the buckets but it would probably take +500 lbs to make them fail.

Patrick Donnelly
12-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Pat, do you have any tips on leveling the posts?

Sorry for the late reply.

I used a level to get it straight, then held it for a few minutes.
The concrete in the middle of the blob will take a long time to try, so you'll want to wait 48 hours or so for the whole thing to cure (the wait is intolerable, I know!). Keep the top of the cement moist to prevent cracking as it solidifies.

Sam Cannons
12-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Looking forward to seeing pictures, i will be making some up in the next couple of weeks.

Patrick McIntosh
12-20-2007, 04:29 AM
No problem, Pat.

The trick I figured out was eyeballing the posts in the buckets, tying them against my dip bar, and then going in with a level to make the fine adjustments - made it super easy. I didn't think about the cement cracking. It's been approx 48 hours and I don't see any yet. Tomorrow morning is the test run.

http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pa220004ja6.jpg
http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pa220005ne5.jpg

Enrique Billington
04-11-2009, 05:56 PM
How much cement mix do you really need to make these squat stands? Is it really 60ibs like you describe on your blog Patrick (Donnelly)? How much does it cost? I have no experience with this kind of thing so excuse my ignorance.

Patrick Donnelly
04-11-2009, 08:20 PM
How much cement mix do you really need to make these squat stands? Is it really 60ibs like you describe on your blog Patrick (Donnelly)? How much does it cost? I have no experience with this kind of thing so excuse my ignorance.
60lbs of concrete does the trick. It's dirt cheap and works like a charm.

Enrique Billington
04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Patrick, thank you very much for the quick reply, I'm going to do that tomorrow evening. It sounds like fun.