PDA

View Full Version : Rotary/AFT?Cyclic kip

Leo Soubbotine
12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
As seen in AFT's 2:19 Fran video - figured out how to kip that way and wrote up a short tutorial for those who might be interested:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=24585 - original.

2:19 Fran - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyXTguBCpv8 (safe)

Step 1: Watch the knees:
Do 1 kipping pullup with knees bend 90 degrees.

Step 2: Slide
Instead of pulling the chin over the bar float above the bar and don't force yourself away - just let yourelf fall. Let momentum get you slightly forward and under the bar.

Step 3: Heels to ears.
Once figured out how to fall - to a pullup with knees bend 90 degrees initiating the kip and when falling - pull the heels up to your ears!
That should get the bounce out of the hole going. Voila!

Videotaping helps a ton since most of the time you'll be still doing Eva T type kipping pullup with a slight push-away.

Here's a short vid of me doing it after about 100 pullups before I got it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NninZG4zZkI (safe)
It's a hell of a pullup and it's super fast and powerful! Sub-3 Fran here I come!

William Hunter
12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Wow. Those were super smooth kippers Leo! I'll give those a shot.

Allen Yeh
12-06-2007, 03:32 AM
2:19....holy crap. That is awesome dude! Thanks for the pull-up stuff too, I'll have to give that a try.

Allen Yeh
12-06-2007, 03:33 AM
What is your dead hang max? What is your kipping(using this method max?

Leo Soubbotine
12-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Dead hang - around 5-8.
Regular kipping - 18 (grip failure)
AFT style - haven't maxed yet - by the time I figured out how to do it - had a huge blood blister on my left palm. Took me quite a few pullups to figure it out. Abs are a tad sore today from that kip though. And hamstrings were cramping slightly.

I feel also that this kip doesn't rip up hands as much - I like that!

Garrett Smith
12-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Once both styles are learned, one could use either depending on the other exercises in the workout:

Heavy posterior chain exercises + "normal" (Eva T) kip

Heavy anterior chain exercises + "rotary" (AFT) kip

Also, along with grip changes, switching between styles may allow for even more pullups to be done, as in the "pullups on the minute" workout...

Gant Grimes
12-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Leo, thanks for the video and breakdown. It's nice to see kipping styles by the larger guys. As a heavier guy myself, I agree that Eva's kip puts more stress on the shoulders. I use it when I'm going for distance, as it's a slower, smoother movement overall.

I started with the fast frog-kick kip (closer to Annie's), and I've tried to add Eva's kip, as well as some supinated Greg-A type kips. I look forward to learning this one.

Naming pullup styles after people...we're a weird bunch.

Leo Soubbotine
12-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Honestly I cared less about the number of pullups I can do or how much my Fran time will drop.

It was rather a challenge to see if I can take AFT kip apart, learn to perform and mainly to teach it to others.

Tyler Weir
12-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Honestly I cared less about the number of pullups I can do or how much my Fran time will drop.

It was rather a challenge to see if I can take AFT kip apart, learn to perform and mainly to teach it to others.

I know what I'm trying to learn the next time I'm at the gym. :)

Derek Simonds
12-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Nice work Leo. I saw it on YouTube before I saw the thread. That is the kipping style I tried to emulate first before trying to learn Eva's that you helped me on so graciously.

Every time I tried it I looked like I was kicking my own ass. It was quite humorous.

Any thought to what we are doing Saturday? That painstorm is definitely doable just going to take a little while.

David Aguasca
12-07-2007, 12:46 PM
tried to learn it today...i've got the same style pullup bar that OPT has, with the gap. i can get 2-3 before i have to reset. rather, before i start reverting to the swinging kip.

Leo Soubbotine
12-18-2007, 02:00 PM
David - cool! Bad ass story about the cimb and the new boots on CF board.

Got 21 pullups in a row for Fran's first set of pullups. 18 pullups AFT kip and then 3 regular. PR by 3 and all were nice and high.
Hands automatically readjusted to a much wider grip over the last couple of weeks.

Love this kip.