PDA

View Full Version : Fat within muscles and losing it.

Nick Tirkalas
12-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Reading Art Devaney' site and he made a made a comment on why you see a lot of guys in the gym who are very large however 'smooth' looking. They have "high intramuscular triglycerides, a known contributor to insulin resistance. The muscle appears large because it is loaded with fat deposits laced between the muscle fibres and intruding into the connective tissue and muscle fibres. That, and the thick skin from subcutaneous fat, is the reason so many bulky guys look so smooth. They carry almost no muscle definition or cuts."

My question is, would this impact what your LBM reading would be. If you were to go on IF, Zone, Paleo or whatever, and start to lose the fat, obviously your size would shrink, but would your LBM number fall also? Reading some other threads, there were comments about people losing LBM when they were IF'ing, myself included. Could this be the reason. Because they were ridding themselves of their intramuscular fat?

Comments.

Mike ODonnell
12-06-2007, 12:14 PM
I would say it depends on your method of determining LBM. Calipers? Scales with the sensors and current (tanita)? Water dunking? Determining LBM is such an inexact science anyways, I don't think worrying about intramuscular triglycerides is really going to be a major factor.

Nick Tirkalas
12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Yah, I'm not too concerned about. It just got me thinking about it and wondering what everyones opinion was on it. Pot head philosophy without the pot.

I guess with the calipers, your LBM would change, Tanita scale??? I dunno. I would think that might have a difference. Dunk test, Dunno.

Garrett Smith
12-06-2007, 03:15 PM
I think it could absolutely be the reason.

Mike ODonnell
12-06-2007, 07:00 PM
that and people tend not to really eat as much as they say they do....esp protein....but if they do, it could be the reason they feel they are "shrinking"....then again not sure how they are measuring their own BF...as 2 readings in the same day could be way off....

Jane Michel
12-07-2007, 03:47 AM
What do people with high intramuscular tryglycerides look like anyway? I thought big guys who are not cut just have high BF levels.....

Troy Archie
12-07-2007, 07:25 AM
What do people with high intramuscular tryglycerides look like anyway? I thought big guys who are not cut just have high BF levels.....

Those big guys (meatballs) do have high BF stemming from their "high intramuscular triglycerides" that is "loaded with fat deposits laced between the muscle fibres and intruding into the connective tissue and muscle fibres", which is all related to their huge sugar consumption and insulin resistance.

Insulin Resistance leads to diabetes leads to obesity. Correct?

Ari Kestler
12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Those big guys (meatballs) do have high BF stemming from their "high intramuscular triglycerides" that is "loaded with fat deposits laced between the muscle fibres and intruding into the connective tissue and muscle fibres", which is all related to their huge sugar consumption and insulin resistance.

Insulin Resistance leads to diabetes leads to obesity. Correct?

Not necessarily in that order.

Garrett Smith
12-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Ari is absolutely right. I'm amazed when I see The Biggest Loser and they aren't all diabetics! I think only one on this season is pre-diabetic--which shifted to "normal" from simple changes in diet and exercise!!! Imagine that.

Gant Grimes
12-11-2007, 03:01 PM
The mirror is a fine measure of BF.

DeVaney's article was interesting, though.

Robb Wolf
01-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Interesting "potential" topic: A fat adapted athlete who runs on a higher % of fat for fuel ALSO has a higher TAG concentration intramuscularly. i wonder HOW this differs from the insulin resistant state. Lorne Cordain touches on this with regards to intermittent fasting and hunter gatherers.

Pierre Auge
01-28-2008, 06:59 AM
All I know Robb is that one of my best athletes consumes high percentages of fat from olive oil, as is standard practice. He gets all of his carbs from veggies and some fruit.

At 160lbs he shoulder presses 180lbs without pause. He did a 4:23 Fran wearing a CBRN respirator two weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/v/n8NFFhOOP1s

Funny you would think the low carb state would cause him to suck at cardio vascular events but he's just so well adapted that he is a killer.

Steven Low
01-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Wow, with a respirator. That's insane.

Allen Yeh
01-29-2008, 12:06 PM
At 160lbs he shoulder presses 180lbs without pause. He did a 4:23 Fran wearing a CBRN respirator two weeks ago.

Holy Crap....