PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Eating TOO Much On IF?

Derek Weaver
12-06-2007, 10:56 PM
I took up IF about a month ago, and having logged most of my food on fitday and in a journal, I realized I've been eating at least 550 calories a day over what I was eating when I was just Zoning at about 80%-90% paleo foods.

Most people say that they can't choke down enough food, but I've been getting well over 2500 calories/day on IF without much effort (5'6", 155 lbs. +/- 10% bf) and have ceased to lean out any further.

I usually have a 5-6 hour feed window and have no problem putting away the food.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I'm thinking of going back to a Paleo Zone structure, even though I hate the obsessive compulsive nature of having to eat every three hours.

Steve Liberati
12-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Derek,
I was having the same problem myself as you. After my fast ended (aro 5pm) I had a tendency to take the notion that "anything goes" and its time to tear up some food. Which I did. Although I stuck to paleo foods, I was easily exceeding my regular maintance cals in only 3 meals b/t 5pm and bedtime. Afterall, I fasted all day so my body needed the nutrients (that is what I was telling myself anyway). I quickly noticied a small drop in my performance and gradually started losing the visible top 2 ab muscles I had showing. So here's what I did (working very well so far).

On feed days, I follow strict zone eating (paleo foods only) at 3x's fat. As accurate as possible. So EOD I fast from 8-8:30 at night to 5pm the next day. After 5pm, instead of going buck-wild, I'll have a protein/high fat meal followed by another protein/high fat meal about 2 hours later. Cut out the carbs on the fast days (veggies only). This small change has made a huge difference. I guess without any sugar (fruits) or complex carbs my body wasn't craving more food and more carbs. Since your body is also more insulin resistant following a 20 hr fast, its critical not to eat too much and sending your blood sugar levels through the roof (which I did and set me up for more failure for the rest of the night).

So in short, maybe you can try dropping the carbs on fast days and concentrate on protein and fat meals only and see how that works.

Mike ODonnell
12-07-2007, 05:42 AM
Carbs are the main issue like Steve said....hard to overeat on protein and fat and not stay lean.

Scott Kustes
12-07-2007, 05:52 AM
I have trouble eating enough and end up having to make it up on the weekends. Sometimes I'm just so hungry during the day that I have to break the fast early and grab some lunch.

Troy Archie
12-07-2007, 07:22 AM
It's also been stated before that most people find they need less calories while IF'n to maintain and gain.

I've been gaining weight while IF'n on a paltry 2500cal the last could months, all paleo foods with pretty much no PWO sugar spike. The bw gained has been pretty good weight plus it beats being 150lbs soaking wet.

Garrett Smith
12-07-2007, 08:32 AM
The only time I had issues was when I started breaking the fast with blue corn chips or sweet potato chips...darn you cortisol!!!

Derek Weaver
12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try cutting out the carbs even more (still eat little fruit, but I can always eat less and more veggies) and upping my fat.

Patrick Donnelly
12-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Carbs are the main issue like Steve said....hard to overeat on protein and fat and not stay lean.

What happens if you overeat them?
They just "pass on through?" *cough*

Jordan Glasser
12-11-2007, 03:44 PM
The answer is in this long video.

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_details.php?webcastid=21216

If you have 1hr and 45 mins, it'll give YOU the scientific background to answer it.

Bo Bolund
12-15-2007, 04:23 AM
Usually one overeats in the beginning... try to lower calorie intake.
You might also need to shorten your window.

Patrick Donnelly
12-15-2007, 10:52 AM
If you have 1hr and 45 mins, it'll give YOU the scientific background to answer it.

That was a long, but worthwhile, watch.