PDA

View Full Version : Art...Enough Man!

Steve Liberati
12-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Who else is getting sick of hearing Art DeVany tell us how great of shape he's in for his age, his body resembles the physique of ancient warriors, he's the modern-day alpha male we should all aspire to, how much the women love him and what ever other fantasies of himself that he dreams up and makes a point to remind us each and every post.

Enjoy reading his blog just as much as the next guy, but I can honestly say my perspective of him is really started to get clouded by his relentless pursuit to talk about himself. Starting to really wonder if he has some deep self-esteem issues that finally coming to the surface. Just gives us the goods Art....enough of the heroics man.

Garrett Smith
12-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Art loves Art more than anyone else could ever love Art, proof that Art's system is the best (um, for Art).

I did like the hormonal examples in the last post, like the Test numbers. Impressive. But then again, this is Art we're talking about, right?

Nick Tirkalas
12-07-2007, 01:30 PM
That's hilarious. I was just thinking the same thing yesterday.

Casey Williams
12-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I would agree a 100%....i noticed a while back that he was tooting his horn alittle to much.

Mike ODonnell
12-07-2007, 04:01 PM
No hate in my heart for anyone....great for him....as there are plenty of other fitness based websites that I could also hate for their self absorbed mentality....but I choose now to praise the good...and ignore the rest.

Mark Brinton
12-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I find him impressive and do not in the least begrudge him his lack of false modesty. He's something of a latter-day renaissance man.

Steve Liberati
12-07-2007, 07:41 PM
No hate in my heart for anyone....great for him....as there are plenty of other fitness based websites that I could also hate for their self absorbed mentality....but I choose now to praise the good...and ignore the rest.

No hate here either. Just annoyed from time to time thats all. By the way what websites are you referring to?

Mike ODonnell
12-08-2007, 07:14 AM
No hate here either. Just annoyed from time to time thats all. By the way what websites are you referring to?

No naming names...as I have nothing negative to say about any of them. Instead I focus on the positive of any site that tries to make people healthy and fit...even if everyone is different in their approach. I used to hate Curves....but now realize that it is essential for that demographic they serve to live a better life....and now more jealous I didn't come up with that billion dollar idea myself.

-Ross Hunt
12-08-2007, 09:45 AM
I like what he's putting forward. But he's hurting his case by making bad arguments all the time, when there are better but less grandiose ones to be made.

Case in point over the last few posts--

-The fact that Art's present T is whatever it is doesn't mean it hasn't declined with age. He would have to have blood work from when he was 28 if he's going to assert that you can prevent decline of T with age. He'd be better off just saying that he has great T levels, period, and that the rest of his blood work is great, too, and be satisfied with offering this as further anecdotal evidence of his approach. Such evidence is what most convinces people, anyway.

-His article on the study on Testosterone was poorly presented. He portrayed the study as some sort of revolutionary epiphany revealing the badness of steroids to the world, but nothing in that study wasn't old hat. In particular,the fact that endogenous T production shuts down when you supplement with exogenous T is so old hat to anyone acquainted with the most simple aspects of endocrinology that to emphasize it just seems funny. Also, to repeatedly assert as a conclusion from this that T supplementation 'emasculates' treads in the direction of being deceptive, since that verb connotes lose of libido, sex drive, etcetera, more than loss of endogenous T production. Again, Art has a really GOOD argument against steroid use from a psychological standpoint--the perfectionism post was really good in that regard, and he could have stuck to that line.

-And the recurrent thing is the twofold error that--
A) there is a purposive character to the process of natural selection, and
B) that 'nature's purpose' in this regard is in harmony with the desire of the modern man to be jacked.

I think we have to be honest with ourselves and acknowledge that the goal of being sub-10% bodyfat with a relatively high quantity of muscle mass is not necessarily something that nature selects for, and that, even if it was, trying to approximate the caveman way of life may not be the best way to secure that goal in the modern environment. E.g., skinny guys need to eat more than cavemen ever could they want to carry a lot of muscle.

Again, I'm not hating. Art's accomplishments are awesome and the range of what he covers in his blog is exciting. It's just a shame to see such a persuasive spokesman for his kind of diet and exercise undermine his own example by making hyperbolic arguments.

-Ross Hunt
12-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Btw, Steve (off-topic), I just took a look at your site. That looks like awesome work you're doing in Camden; it's admirable.

Steve Liberati
12-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks Ross, and some fine points you make in your post.