PDA

View Full Version : The Quality of Calories: What Makes Us Fat and Why Nobody Seems to Care

Jane Michel
12-09-2007, 01:26 AM
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_details.php?webcastid=21216

Linked at Dr Eades' blog (http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/2007/12/08/gary-taubes-berkeley-lecture/):

In late November of this year Gary Taubes gave a number of talks to members of various departments at the University of California at Berkeley. One of these talks - The Quality of Calories: What Makes Us Fat and Why Nobody Seems to Care - was recorded and can be viewed by clicking here. You need Real Player to watch the video. If you donít have it, simply Google real player or real player mac and you will find a free download of the program.

Garyís talk expands on one of the theses in his book Good Calories, Bad Calories: the idea that obesity isnít caused by gluttony and sloth, but by excess carbohydrate intake instead. If you havenít read the book or if you have and you want the weight-loss section explained in greater depth, this video is for you. Heís a little more open than he was in the book about naming names and pointing the finger at people who for whatever reason canít see the forest for the trees. The video is long - almost two hours - but well, well worth watching.

Jane Michel
12-09-2007, 01:50 AM
More interesting UCB recordings: http://webcast.berkeley.edu/events.php?p=1&ipp=1000&category=Health%20%26amp%3Bamp%3B%20Medicine

Jordan Glasser
12-10-2007, 04:14 PM
thanks for the post. Great info.

Greg Everett
12-10-2007, 04:32 PM
This is a good video - about 1:45, but worth it.

Jordan Glasser
12-11-2007, 01:20 PM
I can't stop thinking of that video. I think the most compelling notion that he debunks is: calories in is not equal to calories out. Now I am replaying in my mind why and how I've ever stored body fat, or lost it.

Garrett Smith
12-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I simply cannot believe that so many people who should know better still parrot the CIECO line (cals in equals cals out).

It's so easy to shoot bus-sized holes through with one question, and yet it still holds so firm.

Even they don't totally believe it, when saying that one needs to reduce their calories AND stop eating junk food. Which one is it? If it is both, then CIECO doesn't work! Blurg.

Mike ODonnell
12-11-2007, 03:19 PM
CIECO crowd is being told that by Jenny Craig...Weight Watchers..and the likes peddling their crap...although it works much like the zone...still...better food choices out there as telling people "Why give up dessert" is not going to lead to a long lifetime solution....unless of course they get the 3 meals a day from Nutrisystem for 20 years...

Allen Yeh
12-12-2007, 03:56 AM
Very interesting stuff, I'm only about 30 minutes into the webcast and I can't wait to read that book now.

Scott Kustes
12-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Is there a non-Real Media version anywhere? I hate Real Media.

Mike ODonnell
12-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Very interesting stuff, I'm only about 30 minutes into the webcast and I can't wait to read that book now.

Haven't listened to the broadcast yet...but if you listen to it, do you really need to read the book?

Allen Yeh
12-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Haven't listened to the broadcast yet...but if you listen to it, do you really need to read the book?

I would need to I think, I'm much better at learning visually than auditory. The video quality wasn't very good so it was pretty much all audio for me.

Patrick Donnelly
12-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I got about a half hour into last night. However, now whenever I try to skip forward into it a half hour, it refuses to load the video. Any help?

Jane Michel
12-13-2007, 03:58 AM
For those who want to download the video, download FlashGet (http://www.flashget.com/en/download.htm) and enter the following link into the FlashGet: rtsp://169.229.131.16:554//events/sph//sph_20071127.rm

Patrick: perhaps try downloading it?
Scott: I've checked YouTube and Google Video but can't find the video in any other formats...