PDA

View Full Version : Another coffee thread-sorry in advance

Jay Cohen
12-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Every morning, I drink two 10oz coffees, which work just fine. I enjoy drinking the coffee as I catch up with news, boards, blogs via the Internet as I do not own a TV.

While Id love to have an Espresso Machine( have every possible device for making coffee), and have spent 10s of hours researching models, I wonder if Id enjoy just the two little shots (a double), as it would be gone in one gulp.

I know I should savior the great rich taste of the espresso shot, but the truth is, I like drinking coffee, not sipping a few doubles. While I could always add water and make it an Americano, why then buy an espresso machine? Id be better off buying a Technivorm Coffee Machine,

See: http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.technivorm.shtml

W/F/S

Open to comments, suggestions or just tell me to go for counseling.

Paul Findley
12-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Since allowing coffee to take over my life, I have relied upon this inexpensive espresso pot. I remember an old thread on cold extraction, that sounded interesting, but not enough to try.

Mike ODonnell
12-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Get a French Press if you want simplistic.

Jay Cohen
12-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Make French Press most morning, have a Stove top Moka pot, use a Percolator on the weekends, and have a Direct to Cup filter for that quick and simple cup.
Also have an Ibisk for turkish brew when I have a few extra minutes and really feel like extra strong coffee.

Garrett Smith
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Jay, seek counseling. Really. ;-)

Derek Simonds
12-11-2007, 01:22 PM
You have more implements for making coffee then I have for fishing. And I know how nutty I am about that.

Based on all this talk about coffee I am going to have to try and start drinking it.

Mike ODonnell
12-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Based on all this talk about coffee I am going to have to try and start drinking it.

Why do I picture this turning out like when Will Ferrell got hooked on coffee in Kicking and Screaming....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6n-paRU-7o&feature=related

Troy Archie
12-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Ahh the Technivorm. My store is the only ones in Canada to import and sell them so I've seen my fair share. Great machine but it all depends on what you want. There's so many different types of brewers out there resulting in completely different tasting coffee. The Technivorm will give you the BEST drip brewed coffee, if that's what you want. They're easy to use and make good coffee quickly (10 cups in like 6 min or something...). The water temperture is right on target and is a constant temperture resulting in optimal brewing.

I'm with Mike though, the French Press is brewed coffee at it's best (excluding the Clover) but thats just me. Some people don't like the "gritty" feeling you get from a press and others don't like how it requires most of your attention to brew. I'd say save yourself the cash and buy a Bodem. Try to get one local and get a real Bodem, the glass last longer plus you can buy replacement glass for relatively cheap and they and their parts are usually easier to find than knock offs.

Coffee dork out.

Steve Liberati
12-11-2007, 05:43 PM
This guy is always on the money when it comes to coffee and espresso. His pick for a home espresso machine:
http://purecoffee.blogspot.com/2007/12/craig-laban-home-espresso-wisdom.html

Allen Yeh
12-12-2007, 03:33 AM

Don't do it!

Ari Kestler
12-13-2007, 05:54 AM
Americano (Espresso and water) does NOT equal regular drip. For me, the taste was significant enough that I just bought an espresso machine (super automatic - as I didn't want to have to deal with make/clean up every morning). While it was expensive, it was worth it to me and I would buy one again.

Jay Cohen
12-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Americano (Espresso and water) does NOT equal regular drip. For me, the taste was significant enough that I just bought an espresso machine (super automatic - as I didn't want to have to deal with make/clean up every morning). While it was expensive, it was worth it to me and I would buy one again.

Ari;
What model did you buy and your comments as to that model would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Ari Kestler
12-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Jay,

I bought a Capresso C1300 about 2 years ago on ebay. It retailed for $1000 and I think I bought it for $800. It's kept up pretty well. A super automatic stores whole beans and water and grinds each morning. You Push 2 buttons, wait about a minute and have a piping hot americano in front of you with no trouble. Once a week (depending on consumption) you empty the grounds, and refill the water. Once every two weeks you refill beans. Once every 6 months or so you change the filter and put the machine through a cleaning cycle. It's all pretty easy.

The biggest things for me were convenience...is this the best shot of espresso I have ever had? No. Is it consistent day in day out and above average espresso? Yes. Is it better and less bitter to me than drip? Absolutely. There is a huge spectrum of machines/styles, I encourage anyone interested in learning more to check out www.wholelattelove.com. I buy refills for the machine and used to buy coffee there. I went with capresso because people seemed to be the most happy when I compared reviews of other machines. I was only looking at superautomatics. If I wanted to truly make my own espresso each day I would go with a manual probably. I don't have that kind of time or desire.

I used to drink drip, buy sbux, french press and turkish. My favorite hands down is turkish, but it's something I like to enjoy and not a daily beverage. French press is good, but again takes too much work on a daily basis. Starbucks is ok, but they frequently burn their beans or coffee or both, and I liked trying different beans until I found one I really liked. Drip is now way too bitter for me and I won't drink it unless I am absolutely dying, which is rare.

I realize the machine was super expensive, and at the time I justified it because I love drinking coffee and had some extra money to spare (plus I love gadgets). Some of the positives and negatives off the top of my head compared to other models/methods:

Pros:

You get to pick your own beans
No bitterness of drip, but great coffee taste/essence
Coffee Crema
Super easy to use/clean
Under 1 min. prep time in the morning.

Cons:

It's super expensive
You probably won't ever want to drink drip again
You will develop a certain snobbery when discussing coffee

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Jay Cohen
12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Ari;
Many thank for taking the time to post the informative reply. I'm on Wholelattelove every couple of days, looking at their clearance models. Also like Sweet Maria's and have been looking at the Gaggia Classic, Baby, Solis Master 5000. I'll check out the Capresso.

You want to talk coffee, feel free to PM me off the boards.

Mike Dykstra
12-15-2007, 11:52 AM
If I am going to drink coffee I go for a americano. I think they taste better than plain old coffee. I prefer tea over coffee thou.

Anton Emery
01-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I got an Aeropress for Xmas and have been using that at work. I have a moka pot as well but could never get consistent results with it. The Aeropress is great, i dont have to leave my office as i use my electric kettle to boil the water. I usually add a bit of water for an americano.

On the weekends i like French Press coffee. I'll make a few cups and sit around and play my guitar in the morning. doesnt get much better than that.

Anton

Chris Forbis
01-08-2008, 06:28 PM
I've recently acquired both a Moka Pot (stainless steel Bialetti Musa) and a manual Turkish Mill. Pretty awesome stuff.

The next step is to start roasting them myself. That will probably wait until summer.

Don Stevenson
01-08-2008, 11:34 PM
I used to drink all my coffee from a french press but i reckon that the taste from an espresso machine is superior even when diluted down to the same volume as a press.

I have a cheapish ($350AU) saeco machine that has withstood 2 years of constant abuse (4 - 10 shots a day) and it makes great coffee.

I also have a good quality cone grinder so that i can grind fresh each time.

I'm sure there are better machine combos out there but for my little home setup i do pretty well (and so do the local roasters!)

Allison Barns
01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Wow.... and people at work think I'm a coffee snob for insisting it be fresh ground and decently strong.

Kelly Moore
01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Jay, I'm liking you more and more....finally, another person who eats "weird" and lives without a TV! Cool.

Jay Cohen
01-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Jay, I'm liking you more and more....finally, another person who eats "weird" and lives without a TV! Cool.

Thanks K., that now makes about 5 people that can relate...............

It's a Long Way to the Top, if you want to Rock and Roll, and I do want to Rock.

Stand Up, Jump Down, my new mantra.

Garrett Smith
01-10-2008, 05:34 AM
I need to start eating weirder so I can join the club (ie. more offal).

Save me some money and guarantee I get my full daily dose of animal meat!

My wife definitely won't get rid of the TV though...

sarena kopciel
01-10-2008, 05:45 AM
No TV here either, just an occasional movie in the theatres! My husband on the other hand is hooked on watching at least one DVD a night, thanks to netflix.

Yeah and on the other hand, I asked him to refill the Poland Spring cooler the other night and he asked my daughter (16yo) to help him lift the jug (10 gallons I believe)!!

I, conversely, fill it in a functional fitness method, Get under it and clean it and flip it! Had a really good example yesterday, NYC is experienced nice spring like weather but when I leave my building its really windy as we live adjacent to the highway and river. I had numerous bags on one hand and a large black sack of laundry in the other. The wind was howling and literally pushed me across the street. I had difficulty with that large sack as I was unbalanced. I stopped and thought a moment--then put sack between legs and snatched straight overhead. Being this is NY, people looked at me weirdly then went on with their lived. I, on the other hand, was so happy that the gym experiences came to use in the street!!

Paul Findley
01-10-2008, 01:19 PM
My husband on the other hand is hooked on watching at least one DVD a night, thanks to netflix.

We use blockbuster for the in-store total access, very nice, we have started to watch TV shows on DVD :-o I have been told that I need Tivo, but then I would have to upgrade my cable to more than the $13.22 a month level.

Has he used the netflix download time at all, does it work well?

Oh yea, coffee...um...got a new avatar!

Frank Needham
05-05-2008, 05:16 PM
soooo......anyone invested in any of the brew equipment mentioned in this thread, of late? I started drinking americanos and like them, less jitters than with brewed coffee also, I think. Thinking about investing in some espresso contraption but where to start?

Jay Cohen
05-05-2008, 05:54 PM
soooo......anyone invested in any of the brew equipment mentioned in this thread, of late? I started drinking americanos and like them, less jitters than with brewed coffee also, I think. Thinking about investing in some espresso contraption but where to start?

Frank,;

I bought the Starbucks Sarena at 50% off, not a bad entry level machine.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/

http://www.sweetmarias.com/

Both very reputable places, have bought stuff from both.

Suggest you do some research, see what Espresso machine works for you and your budget.

Expect to pay at least 300 bucks for an entry level machine that is not total junk. 400 will get a slightly better machine.

Still hard to beat a French Press or Purculator for excellent coffee at a cheap price.

It's the beans, not the equipment that makes great coffee.

Xuan Mai Ho
05-05-2008, 06:32 PM
While it doesn't make espresso, I love the Aeropress for nice strong coffee. I have one at work and one at home.

Cheap...and easy....

Frank Needham
05-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the input Jay, I'll get back to you with what I decide on. I'm tight, so it'll not be anything real pricey thats for sure. Probably will be the same range as what you've mentioned.

Jay Cohen
05-06-2008, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the input Jay, I'll get back to you with what I decide on. I'm tight, so it'll not be anything real pricey thats for sure. Probably will be the same range as what you've mentioned.

Frank, Xuan makes a great suggestion on the Aeropress. It's about 30 bucks, works OK, produces a smooth cup of coffee.
Those little Stove Top Moka pots also produce a pretty potent brew.

Enjoy the day

Frank Needham
05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
holy crap, I tried the home brew method described by Pierre! Can't remember if it is this thread or one of the other coffee threads. That stuff is way strong. I figured 2 oz of coffee concentrate in a 16 oz mug would be about right, and if you want a buzz, it is about right. Tastes great, no acid, smooth, good stuff!