PDA

View Full Version : Top 2 Abs/Back Exercises

Patrick McIntosh
12-13-2007, 05:55 AM
There's so many out there to choose from (at least as far as as are concerned), some more effective than others, some more practical than others.

If you could only do 2 abs/back circuit exercises, what would they be?

John Alston
12-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Snatch
Clean and jerk

Derek Simonds
12-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Snatch
Clean and jerk

I think John just nailed it on the head. If you want to add a component lift it would be OHS. I read an article a while back that studied abdominal muscle activation in different exercises and squats had 3 times (or there abouts) muscle recruitment then traditional ab exercises.

I know my abs and back are extremely sore from this weeks CA WOD.

Allen Yeh
12-13-2007, 07:02 AM
I think Patrick is asking in regards to the PM mass gain program. While I agree Snatches and Clean and Jerks are great I think doing them for a circuit would be more detrimental than helpful.

My gym only recently bought a GHD so my choice right now would be.
Abs - GHD situps, russian twists
back - back extensions, cable pullthroughs

Previous to buying the GHD my staples were:
Abs - hanging Windshield wipers, hanging leg raises
back - cable pullthroughs, romanian deadlift

David Aguasca
12-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Deadlifts.
Stall bar leg raises, Coach Sommer style.

William Hunter
12-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Deadlifts.
Stall bar leg raises, Coach Sommer style.

I like this combo, except for the fact that I can't do the HLR's the way Sommer describes, so I use the K2E instead.

I've devoted one WO per week to OHS recently. Good stuff. Dan John was right.

Derek Simonds
12-13-2007, 01:54 PM
I've devoted one WO per week to OHS recently. Good stuff. Dan John was right.

I am really looking forward to tomorrows OHS's

I guess for clarity I should also add my two favorites are whichever ones Greg throws into the CA WOD. Patrick if you look at the last three weeks there have been some pretty good combinations in the WOD's that you could use with the mass gain template.

Leo Soubbotine
12-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Working the OHS didn't develop the HLR not even a bit for me.
OHS is great stuff yet it feels like it has more to do with shoulder/upper back stabilization.

Abs back circuit - I really like KTE and KB swings or Weighted GHD situp/Weighted Hip extension.

Mike ODonnell
12-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Mix it up....heavy turkish getups...L-sits...Windmills...Wipers....go heavy and keep reps lower (under 10). Go throw a med ball overhead, behind head. OHS is my personal favorite....hell pushups can active your abs if you tense them up the whole time.

Patrick McIntosh
12-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. Allen is right, I'm more interested in the kinds of exercises that would jive well with a simple abs-back circuit (like one would use in the mass gain program). But nonetheless this has all got me thinking and helped a lot with ideas. Thanks.

Sam Cannons
12-13-2007, 09:01 PM
With out a GDH -

ABS: Overhead situps(1 or 2 weights), Lever Progression work on rings (inverted to front lever to back lever), L-sit to Handstands, Others mentioned above also kick ass.

Back: RDL, Heavy Kbell swings,

Any O-lifts as well as gymnsatics for abs. Its always a good sign when you can see huge abs poking through the costume of a 15year old gymnast.

Jonathan Owen
12-15-2007, 02:33 AM
Picking any heavy, odd-object off the ground and/or carrying it for distance. Whether its a heavybag or sandbag, rock, or a big piece of wood; also, heavy turkish get-ups. Personally, I think its hard to beat the odd-object lifting for serious abdominal and back strength. Growing up I did tons of hauling, splitting and stacking wood etc...When I worked for my dads tree service in high school I used to challenge myself to see how big a piece of wood I could carry and toss into the truckbed. I was def. no Svend Karlsen, but I built a pretty good amount of "functional" strength because of it. However, I lived out in the boondocks, so I dont know how well the wood and crap would work for people in the city

Steven Low
12-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the replies. Allen is right, I'm more interested in the kinds of exercises that would jive well with a simple abs-back circuit (like one would use in the mass gain program). But nonetheless this has all got me thinking and helped a lot with ideas. Thanks.

Ew. You're better off using heavy lifts and hard stabilization exercises. One of the groups I know does like 7 rounds of 50 abs and lower back work and it's pretty much useless because there's no progress. I rarely do stuff and I can still outlast most of their group even on abs endurance.

Abs the stuff that works is the hard exercises like weighted hanging leg raises, ab wheel and the explosive stuff like back tucks and such.

Patrick McIntosh
12-17-2007, 11:53 AM
So far I've been doing the ab-roller, glute ham sit-ups, and L-pull-ups whenever I'm not doing weighted pull-ups (same applies for dips). For the back specifically all I got really is GHD back extensions.

John Alston
12-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Good mornings, deadlifts, pick heavy sh*t up, carry it or put it over your head.