PDA

View Full Version : slow cooker recipes

Yael Grauer
12-22-2007, 08:14 AM
I was lucky enough to receive a Rival 4-qt. Crock Pot as a gift this year, and now I just need to figure out how to use it. If anyone has any good paleo-friendly (or at least wheat and dairy free) recipes for a crockpot, please post! The idea of having dinner ready for me after a stressful day at work is lovely. I just worry I'll accidentally burn down my apartment, though.

Steve Liberati
12-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Don't worry about burning down your house Yael, unless the plug falls in the pot which won't happen since you'll have a lid on it. Most crockpots also have a timer you can set, in case the boss holds you captive for a couple of days.

And here's a good thread over at the CrossFit board with a bunch of good recipes: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=22690&highlight=crockpot

lots of good recipes on crockpot.com too! Just add/replace foods as you see fit. Most can easily be adjusted for your paleo needs.

Yael Grauer
12-22-2007, 09:21 AM
There's actually no timer on this crockpot. Usually I leave for work at 7 and don't get home later than 7 or 8, but somedays it can be as late as 9 or 10. Hopefully it'll just overcook instead of starting a fire...

I have a rice cooker that automatically goes to "warm" after a certain temperature, but I don't think this thing does that.

Thanks for the link!

Kim Chase
12-24-2007, 02:25 PM
I love crockpots! You can be very free-form with them and it never turns out too bad. I usually do broth, plus meat, plus whatever veggies I have handy, plus some italian spices. Lots of root veggies this time of year... For the time periods you're talking about, just set it on low. Even if you set it on high, overcooking is just mushiness in a crockpot, still very edible. Any complicated stew, roast, chili, etc., recipe you see can be done in a crockpot by just throwing the ingredients in. I have never screwed anything up in a crockpot... and that's saying something!

Scotty Hagnas
12-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I don't have a timer on any of my crock pots. Instead, I plug them into one of those timers that you can use to turn on and off lights when on vacation. Easy to set starting times when I'm away on those long days.

Frank Needham
12-25-2007, 06:49 AM
I love crockpots! You can be very free-form with them and it never turns out too bad. I usually do broth, plus meat, plus whatever veggies I have handy, plus some italian spices. Lots of root veggies this time of year... For the time periods you're talking about, just set it on low. Even if you set it on high, overcooking is just mushiness in a crockpot, still very edible. Any complicated stew, roast, chili, etc., recipe you see can be done in a crockpot by just throwing the ingredients in. I have never screwed anything up in a crockpot... and that's saying something!

Same here, we cook anything and everything in ours. Went so far as to buy a second 8 qt job with the timer and all, very nice. Using a plug in timer works well also. The main thing I've learned while using them is that other's reccomended cooking times for most things doesn't suite me well. I don't like real soft foods, particularly veggies. If you feel the same then be vigilant on the cooking times till you get a feel for what you like.

One trick I picked up that is really cool if you like eggs: Once your dish has reached the desired cooking time, softly lay in some eggs on top of the dish and let them poach, yum....this works particularly well with dishes that have generous amounts of sauce in them. Experiment, don't be afeard....

Yael Grauer
12-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Cool, where do you get plug in timers?

I guess I like soft food. I follow all the Weston Price recipes and make a lot of soup stocks, often mixing the broth with coconut milk and reusing the meat and veggies in other recipes.

I'm just excited about having food ready for me when I get home... which will help me be more consistent in my diet. :D

Susie Rosenberg
12-26-2007, 05:05 AM
My favorite crockpot recipe is making buffalo (or beef) pot roast.

It's so easy. Just slice a large onion and lay the slices on the bottom of the crockpot. Top with a couple of garlic cloves, sliced. Season the meat well with salt and pepper, and lay the meat on top of the onions. I like a sweet pot roast, so I put carrot slices all around the meat as well as a handful or two of dried prunes, and sometimes sweet potato chunks, or chunks of parsnips.

I usually add a can of diced tomatoes or a bit of tomato sauce, but now that I'm off nightshades, I skip that. Add water to come halfway up the roast, cover, and cook on low.

The beauty of this thing is, it tastes even better the next day.

Susie