PDA

View Full Version : Beef spleen recipes?

Kelly Moore
01-06-2008, 06:19 AM
For some reason I thought of Jay Cohen or Scott Kustes when I found this large spleen in my freezer during inventory. :)

I don't really know what to do with this hunk of organ meat :D Seriously, I googled several recipes but I was hoping someone could give me a recommendation.

Scott Kustes
01-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Sorry Kelly, Googling is as far as I've been with spleen. I don't have any currently, but plan to get some on my next meat order (or perhaps when this half a cow finally arrives). In the meantime, you could ship it to me and I'll find something to do with it. :D

Jay Cohen
01-06-2008, 01:17 PM
For some reason I thought of Jay Cohen or Scott Kustes when I found this large spleen in my freezer during inventory. :)

I don't really know what to do with this hunk of organ meat :D Seriously, I googled several recipes but I was hoping someone could give me a recommendation.

Kelly;

For some reason, after reading your opening paragraph, Hannibal Lecter comes to mind.

Allison Barns
01-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Kelly;

For some reason, after reading your opening paragraph, Hannibal Lecter comes to mind.

It struck me too that there are few boards where you would want to openly post "so I found this spleen in my freezer ..." :D

sarena kopciel
01-07-2008, 07:44 PM
OK so I finally found a supplier of Kosher grassfed bison (finished last 30 days on corn/grass) and fully grassfed lamb! Order 5# each of lunch and some minimal amount of heart and spleen too--trust me this took guts! I hope those guts will enable me to cook them as well. Oh yeah, I will definitely feed my family (w/out divulging) before I eat them!!
Anyway just googled lamb spleen and found this link (appears w/f/s)
http://books.google.com/books?id=SiBntk9jGmoC&pg=PA138&lpg=PA138&dq=recipe+for+lamb+spleen&source=web&ots=qq4auBMx4b&sig=9GnPbPANn3VF4TwblmJ1mxmEIvY#PPA148,M1

Kelly Moore
01-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Thank you for the link Sarena; there isn't much out there for spleen recipes. I called US Wellness yesterday (had a gift certificate to use - Yeah!) and asked if they had any recipes as they sell spleens (that does sound odd). The woman I spoke said no and asked me to send in any successful recipes I might find.

My chunk of spleen is large beastie; I'll cut off a bit and try a basic "fried spleen and onions" recipe first....then I'll attempt a spleen variation of an Amish "liver dumpling" recipe. If nothing is palatable, the last chunk will be used to make stock along with marrow bones.

Jay and Scott - I figured that if anyone was brave enough to try eating unusual offal, it would be you guys!

It does sound scary weird when I say I found a spleen residing in my freezer....:D

Garrett Smith
01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Spleens 'n greens...

Had to try and contribute something...that and I'm having cooked greens tonight!

This came up first hit Googling "spleen recipe":
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cooking-Meat-750/spleen-recipes.htm

sarena kopciel
01-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Spleens 'n greens...

Had to try and contribute something...that and I'm having cooked greens tonight!

This came up first hit Googling "spleen recipe":
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cooking-Meat-750/spleen-recipes.htm

Found that one as well...

Allen Yeh
01-09-2008, 02:51 AM
Kelly;

My first question was...."who did she get that from?"