PDA

View Full Version : Dry and Cracked Skin

sarena kopciel
01-06-2008, 11:08 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts for me. Now that it is truly wintertime, my fingers keep developing cracks that are pretty uncomfortable on one side of a nails. At a given time, I could have one or two per hand. These are almost like paper cuts in appearance. My hands are also quite dry.

I drink ample water/fluid equally 3-4 lier per day of water and tea with 1-2 c coffee in the morning. I take a high potency Omega 3 as per Dr. G suggestion and eat more than ample fat! I also wear gloves probably 80% of the time as it is cold here in NYC this time of year. I generally use a heavy cream on my hands before leaving the house and before bed.

Additionally, my lips crack and get quite dry as well.

I do not understand why I continue to have these "symptoms" as I am adequately hydrated and amply lubricated. Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Scott Kustes
01-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Winter wreaks havoc on my hands causing them to get pretty dry. I've started using a few drops of vitamin E oil rather than lotions and it keeps them pretty well moisturized. Mark Sisson has also recommended almond or walnut oil, though I have the vit. E oil on hand, so I'm using it.

The dry lips is probably wind burn. Last weekend I was out all day and it was chilly and windy and for a few days my lips were quite dry. I'm not sure how to counter that short of keeping some Burt's Bees or other lip balm with you. I think Burt's Bees is pretty natural, though I have never looked into it, so could be wrong.

sarena kopciel
01-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Winter wreaks havoc on my hands causing them to get pretty dry. I've started using a few drops of vitamin E oil rather than lotions and it keeps them pretty well moisturized. Mark Sisson has also recommended almond or walnut oil, though I have the vit. E oil on hand, so I'm using it.

The dry lips is probably wind burn. Last weekend I was out all day and it was chilly and windy and for a few days my lips were quite dry. I'm not sure how to counter that short of keeping some Burt's Bees or other lip balm with you. I think Burt's Bees is pretty natural, though I have never looked into it, so could be wrong.

Thanks, do the lip balm thing already. Will try the oil for hands. The cracks are pretty deep. Wondering if it could be coming from the nail salon as well although it is very clean and I have my own nail implements! And I dont get it on my pedicures, only manis. Well, thought to stop manis anyway since they dont last with the cooking and Olifting!!

Garrett Smith
01-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Sarena,
Any nightshades creeping into your diet lately? Goji/wolf berries, tobacco smoke, gooseberries? I'm starting to see a pattern of dry lips and hot/dehydrated mouth/throat with them now, especially with spicy peppers.

May want to double-check, although it is probably just the dry winter weather.

Mike ODonnell
01-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Add some coconut oil in the diet....I've noticed that MCTs and Sat fat (mostly butter) tend to help lubricate the skin from the inside out...since alot of it is fat cells.

sarena kopciel
01-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Ok so thanks all for your responses.
Scotty--got the Vit E today at TJs
Dr. G--nope no nightshades for this madame!!
Mod/Mike--thanks for the coconut oil tip. I know you are fond of it since you recommended a different time too. I tend to minimize its use as I have a gut feeling I may be allergic. I used a tsp tonight to fry an egg after reading this. I will try some sparingly and see if I am affected any.

Garrett Smith
01-07-2008, 05:45 AM
Sarena,
If coconut oil won't work for you, you could try palm oil or straight-up butter oil from Green Pastures.

sarena kopciel
01-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Sarena,
If coconut oil won't work for you, you could try palm oil or straight-up butter oil from Green Pastures.

Thanx Dr G but I dont know, that sounds gross!

Tom Rawls
01-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Bag Balm will cure what ails you.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

Dairy farmers use it on the udders of cows. It's greasy but effective. Apply at night and wear cotton gloves. Your cracks will disappear in a twinkling.

Joe Hart
01-07-2008, 01:07 PM
I used some stuff called cornhuskers oil. It worked GREAT and did not leave my hands feeling greasy. I have had hard time finding it though.

Garrett Smith
01-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Sarena,
Butter oil (http://www.greenpasture.org/products/butter_oil) is great. Think super-high-quality, liquid-at-room-temp, sort-of-like ghee. If you end up wanting some, let me know. There is some in the Blue Ice Gold Therapeutics oil supplement, if you are taking it.

I've only heard good things about Bag Balm. Coffee butter (http://www.perfect-prescription.com/product_detail.php?cid=2&pid=10) is pretty thick and awesome too...I may need to start using my supply soon as this Bulgarian cycle is definitely starting to show on my hands (and the cold weather isn't helping)!

Scott Kustes
01-08-2008, 04:45 AM
Cold weather where? I see that you all are having lows in the upper 30s and highs in the 60s. We got an unseasonable 65-70 yesterday and today and people are out in shorts. But the real cold (you know, weeks where it doesn't top freezing...guess you don't out there in the desert) is on it's way back in.

Chris Rice
01-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Healthy crack free skin comes from within - start using fish oil, flax oil, olive oil etc. Stay hydrated with lots of water. Lotions and potions will not fix the problem, only cover it it and give some temporary relief.

Garrett Smith
01-08-2008, 05:35 AM
Scott,
What can I say, I was born and raised in the desert. Lifting outside in the single-digit hours with the dry weather can be a bit nipply, even here.

Waaaaah. I would like my cheese now...

Eric Jones
01-09-2008, 08:53 PM
My hands get ravaged by winter as well...but Cornhuskers lotion for the win!

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp16837_333181_sespider/corn_huskers/heavy_duty_oil_free_hand_treatment_lotion.htm

Mike ODonnell
01-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Guinness....the cure for everything!

(like you expected anything else from me....)

Garrett Smith
01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
MOD, is that a soak or a compress?

I know that taking internally is a given...