PDA

View Full Version : Knee sleeve recommendation

Jason Lollar
01-08-2008, 05:21 AM
Hey all,

I recently developed some nasty pain in my right knee (patellar tendonitis/tendonosis) and I'm taking two weeks off in an effort to recover. I think I overworked it or injured in during a recent very intense week of work. It just got cold here in FL and I wasn't warming up/stretching nearly enough. Well, I've learned my lesson and have since become an expert on both, but I need help selecting some knee sleeves that will provide warmth, support and patellar guidance. :confused:

Best,
wilson

Garrett Smith
01-08-2008, 05:40 AM
Jason,
Think of the knee sleeves only as warmth. If they are guiding your patella as a crutch, then what will happen the other 23 hours a day when you aren't wearing them?

Make sure your knees are staying over your feet, most folks tend to let their knees fall inward as they get heavier, that could be the issue.

Also, make sure you are doing your mobility work for your feet/ankles before you get into typical "warming up". If the feet/ankles aren't moving, then the knees have to move for them, and the knees moving in nearly any direction other than their normal hinge pisses them off. I recently did a thread on prehab and mobility work, you might want to look there if you haven't already.

I belive the Rehband knee sleeves are popular with OLers, found at www.dynamic-eleiko.com .

Hope something in there helps!

Jason Lollar
01-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Garrett,

Thanks. The Rehband's are in my top 3 so far. I agree that warmth and support is what I need. I'm aware of "knee knocking" but I'm even more careful now. I thought I was doing everything right but I still injured myself somehow. I'm hoping it was just my abreviated warmups in the cold garage. I'm just really frustrated that this pain is taking so long to go away, I want to make sure I don't re-injure it again. I've heard of some athletes living with chronic pain. I don't want that.

I've been trying Trigger Point therapy, The Stick and Foam Roller work along with dynamic and static stretching and some light rowing. But I think I overdid that as it was extra sensitive last night. I'm just gonna do nothing for two weeks except ice and Motrin and pray that it heals naturally.

Derek Simonds
01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Rehbands all the way. I too work out in the cold FL garage gym, brrrr. I love my rehbands and really don't lift unless I have them on.

Where are you in FL?

Jason Lollar
01-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Derek,

I'm in Fort Walton Beach, FL. But I know Deland. I've done some skydiving there!

What kind of difference do they make? Do you do anything specific to warm up your knees?

Derek Simonds
01-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Derek,

I'm in Fort Walton Beach, FL. But I know Deland. I've done some skydiving there!

What kind of difference do they make? Do you do anything specific to warm up your knees?

Yep we got a real active drop zone here.

I know that area also. My sister lived in Niceville for a while. The funniest part about that is that she used to make explosives for a living. Kind of humorous to think about.

I don't do anything outside of the stuff that Garret posted, a fast B W/U and the dynamic leg and arms swings from the exercise demo page. If I am really feeling chilly it I will row for 3 to 5 minutes before I pull my sleeves up then do the warm up stuff. If I work out with Leo we will do the traditional xFit W/U.

Jason Lollar
01-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Yup. Thanks Derek.

I think I'll go with the Rehbands. I think I'm on the right track...just need to heal up.

Remind me not to piss of your sister.

Thx
wilson