PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Meats

sarena kopciel
01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
So I have a friend who has a smoker...He has graciously smoked all types of things for me..incl organic meats, wild fish, and last week a grassfed turkey breast! Now that I have the organ meat on order, he has agreed to smoke some tongue for me. All he uses is salt and wood chips. he does it outdoors. ABout my tongue, do you think I should precook or not! Any thoughts about smoked heart or spleen?

Scott Kustes
01-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Sounds delicious is my only thought. The tongue is similar to a roast, so it should smoke up just fine. The heart is cool since it has a nice cavity that you can use to stuff in some additional flavor enhancers. Let us know how it turns out.

sarena kopciel
01-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Sounds delicious is my only thought. The tongue is similar to a roast, so it should smoke up just fine. The heart is cool since it has a nice cavity that you can use to stuff in some additional flavor enhancers. Let us know how it turns out.

any ideas how to do them! The tongue I should just smoke without precooking? The heart as well?

Scott Kustes
01-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Don't know...never smoked anything (at least not in a smoker ;)). Do you typically precook things before smoking them?

sarena kopciel
01-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Don't know...never smoked anything (at least not in a smoker ;)). Do you typically precook things before smoking them?

he never did precook anything so I think the tongue should be fine and I will peel after smoked! Not sure about spleen or heart! He actually told me he has had venison smoked. Will get my hands on some of that soon too...
Please Scotty buy some spleen so we all know what to do with it!

Garrett Smith
01-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Sarena,
I have no idea of a comment here...the only smoked meat I ever eat is smoked wild salmon, I stopped that because it was just TOO salty (and bad table salt at that).

My suggestion is to keep smoked meats/offal as a treat. Combustion by-products aren't good on a regular basis. The excess of salt that is often used isn't that great either.

Use good salt at the very least. Either pink Himalayan or Celtic, IMO.

Frank Needham
01-09-2008, 05:54 AM
We have a smoker and use it pretty often. For seasoning try using Durkee Six Pepper Blend. I love this stuff but it is still quite high in sodium. I've been informed before, as G says, that there are by-products that aren't so good for regular consumption. I think it was Brad K that made comment about nitrites being high in smoked meat. Here's a link that goes into more detail: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ0974.html Personally I don't worry about it much since it would probably be necessary to eat the stuff on a very regular basis to do harm. Also, I believe most perceptions about smoked meat are driven by what is available commercially, not what folks do in their backyards? In other words, since you won't be adding any sodium nitrites/nitrates to your meats, and you will not likely be adding much table salts either, you should be good to go. My reading on the subject has been far too casual though and you may want to delve further.

sarena kopciel
01-09-2008, 06:02 AM
We have a smoker and use it pretty often. For seasoning try using Durkee Six Pepper Blend. I love this stuff but it is still quite high in sodium. I've been informed before, as G says, that there are by-products that aren't so good for regular consumption. I think it was Brad K that made comment about nitrites being high in smoked meat. Here's a link that goes into more detail: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ0974.html Personally I don't worry about it much since it would probably be necessary to eat the stuff on a very regular basis to do harm. Also, I believe most perceptions about smoked meat are driven by what is available commercially, not what folks do in their backyards? In other words, since you won't be adding any sodium nitrites/nitrates to your meats, and you will not likely be adding much table salts either, you should be good to go. My reading on the subject has been far too casual though and you may want to delve further.

thanx! And being that this is a good friend, I always buy extra meat/fish and have him make some for his family too. I wonder if he'll want heart and spleen?

sarena kopciel
01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Bought friend some himalayan salt and also got a bunch of salmon, cod and sable (wild)! Will keep you all posted. He said that he uses minimal salt, only 1 c in water to brine the food for 1/2 hr! The normal recipe is for 4-6 c minimum.
Next up the tongue when that arrives (lamb and bison). Then I wanna try for some venison! my friend says smoked venison is the best!

Sam Cannons
01-10-2008, 12:04 AM
What about drying meats ? I have a dehydrator and am yet to really get in the jerky. Can you jerky offal and tongue ? Any good recipes ? Are there any health concerns about regularly eating dried meats ?

Thanks

sarena kopciel
01-10-2008, 04:32 AM
What about drying meats ? I have a dehydrator and am yet to really get in the jerky. Can you jerky offal and tongue ? Any good recipes ? Are there any health concerns about regularly eating dried meats ?

Thanks

have a;so made jerky but not from organ!

Garrett Smith
01-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Sam,
I know of no concerns about eating dried (jerky) meats, other than what is added to them by the chef.

Obviously, they have less water to contribute than regular meat would to your daily intake.

Frank Needham
01-10-2008, 06:01 AM
I can't see any problem with drying organ meats but am wondering why since, to me at least, some of the allure to eating them is tied to the moist and tender qualities they have. Since the nutrients likely wouldn't be lost in the process though, maybe no issues. I love tongue cooked Mex style, so tender and flavorful.

sarena kopciel
01-10-2008, 06:45 AM
I can't see any problem with drying organ meats but am wondering why since, to me at least, some of the allure to eating them is tied to the moist and tender qualities they have. Since the nutrients likely wouldn't be lost in the process though, maybe no issues. I love tongue cooked Mex style, so tender and flavorful.
Frank, recipe please and hopefully no nightshades therein??

Sam Cannons
01-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I was thinking organ meats because they are so cheap and i could dry up a heap at once.

Frank Needham
01-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Frank, recipe please and hopefully no nightshades therein??

Sorry, not a nightshade hater here, I love the damn things and can't imagine life without them. To me there is nothing better than a steak seasoned with red pepper...so shoot me I guess but the stuff doesn't give me any problems that I can tell and I've always eaten peppers and such on lots of different dishes. I've always eaten lengue at a local Mex joint here so I don't know a recipe. You did get me thinking though and here's something that looks interesting http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lengua-Beef-Tongue I'll have to give this a go myself.

sarena kopciel
01-15-2008, 03:20 PM
The fish was awesome but the sable --well he used paprika on it and I will not do nightshades as per Dr G!! Others in my family will enjoy it.
Now he ordered this smoked salt to work with:http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/smokedsalt.php

he gave me some for cooking and I used it in a recipe I made today and it was amazing!! Browned some onion and garlic in a mix of coconut and olive oils. Added in a pound of ground bison and some smoked salt
covered after a few minutes and let in “stew”. Then I added in some chopped bok choy and 1/2 c water and let it steam some more. Wow it was delicious.