PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent fasting can lead to diabetes???

Jane Michel
01-09-2008, 08:49 PM
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/26/the-risks-and-rewards-of-skipping-meals/

The researchers found that skipping meals during the day and eating one large meal in the evening resulted in potentially risky metabolic changes. The meal skippers had elevated fasting glucose levels and a delayed insulin response — conditions that, if they persisted long term, could lead to diabetes.

Anyone has access to PubMed and can help explain the two studies cited?
Impact of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction on glucose regulation in healthy, normal-weight middle-aged men and women: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17998028&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Alternate day calorie restriction improves clinical findings and reduces markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in overweight adults with moderate asthma: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17291990&ordinalpos=4&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

A third study that seems interesting is:
Regular meal frequency creates more appropriate insulin sensitivity and lipid profiles compared with irregular meal frequency in healthy lean women: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15220950?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus:

I think I might also write to Dr Eades and ask him about this!

Joyce Behrendt
01-09-2008, 11:02 PM
I didn't completely read through the study, but I wonder what people ate when they did eat? Maybe it was a lot of food and carbs.

I know people who do IF to reduce appetite and keep from overeating, which can then lead to type 2 diabetes. These were benefits to me. Once I start eating, it's hard to stop.

I have type 2 and started the week of IF right after reading Dr. Eades' post. I did it to improve IR. I started at 95 and got to a normal fasting blood sugar of 84 within 4 days. (prior to that there were times when I was around 200).

But I hadn't been eating more than about 30g carbs daily for about a month before starting IF. For the week of IF, I would probably have around 600 to 900 calories during the eating window on a given day.

Yes, it would be good to hear what Dr. Mike says.

Susie Rosenberg
01-10-2008, 03:01 AM
The first study, the one in Metabolism journal, doesn't report the number the subjects. The last two studies had populations of 10 and 9 subjects, respectively.

So the last two are hard to draw conclusions from, IMO, because of the small study sample.

The other fly in the ointment is that the composition of the meals is unspecified, but it seems like the subjects were instructed to eat their normal diets, but manipulate the timing of their meals. So if people are eating 2500 calories worth of crap in one meal at 8pm, I'd not be surprised to find morning glucose tolerance impaired!

Susie

Garrett Smith
01-10-2008, 05:32 AM
My simple opinion is becoming this:

IF (or "skipping meals") on a crappy diet = bad

IF on a Paleo-style diet = good

That's why the progression that I (and I believe Robb Wolf as well) recommend is to go Paleo first, then worry about meal timing.

Putting crappy fuel in will make the engine run crappy, no matter whether it's put in when the tank is half full or nearly empty. Simple.

Until these studies are done with Paleo parameters and/or are watched *long-term* (to get past the initial re-balancing of the body's glucose/insulin mechanisms), I'm going to go with Black Box results.

Ari Kestler
01-10-2008, 05:36 AM
Didn't mercola give himself diabetes? I don't know how, it was just something I remembered reading in another thread.

sarena kopciel
01-10-2008, 05:39 AM
Didnt read the studies just based on the Black Box approach, check out my story on Robb Wolf's blog:
http://robbwolf.com/?p=62

(sorry if this sounds like a plug for myself)
I feel this is evidence from my perspective and experience though!

Allen Yeh
01-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Paging Robb Wolf...Paging Robb Wolf.

Brian Lau
01-10-2008, 06:56 AM
The first study, the one in Metabolism journal, doesn't report the number the subjects. The last two studies had populations of 10 and 9 subjects, respectively.
Susie

The sample is small for the first study as well (n=15, 10 women, 5 men).

Mike ODonnell
01-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Didn't mercola give himself diabetes? I don't know how, it was just something I remembered reading in another thread.

He did that because he followed some "Blood Type" diet which told him to eat all carbs...I like the guy but that was not a smart move on his part..and he knows it now.

as for that article
The conclusion, say the authors of the more recent meal-skipping study, is that skipping meals as part of a controlled eating plan that results in lower calorie intake can result in better health. However, skipping meals during the day and then overeating at the evening meal results in harmful metabolic changes in the body.

Alternate day fasting in this group worked fine vs the "eat whatever in a big meal" at night version. The alternate day fasting had a limit on calories so their choices for food were more likely healthier and did not allow for excess sugars. The people in the one meal a day study were trying to eat as many calories as normally in a day in ONE meal? Ok....NO WAY they are getting all their calories from protein and healthy fats....so in comes the carbs, pasta, bread, sugars, cake, cookies, etc. So crappy meal choices = crappy metabolic response. WOW...shocking. Eat a big steak, veggies and olive oil...and I am full in one meal....and still probably no where close to what the people in this study put down. Have a milkshake, double whopper and fries..3000 calories later..and now you have what these people really did.

Like said before...you eat crap...your body responds in kind.

Joyce Behrendt
01-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Nice job, Sarena! You've earned the right to toot your own horn.

Eric Jones
01-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Nice job, Sarena! You've earned the right to toot your own horn.

Truth

Jane Michel
01-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Dr Eades' response:

Hi Alicia–

The studies under discussion involve different groups of people, different meal schedules, different caloric intakes and different foods. It is certainly not comparing apples to apples in comparing the outcomes of these studies. Questions abound. Do intermittent fasting regimens work the same way in young, lean healthy people as they do in older, obese people. Do they work the same in people with underlying disease, i.e., asthma?

When the first studies came out about intermittent fasting, the results seemed to be uniformly good. Now that more labs have gotten into the act, and humans are being used as subjects, we’re seeing some results that aren’t as uniformly positive. It will take require many more studies before it’s all sorted out.

Best–

MRE

Allen Yeh
01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Interesting.

Robb Wolf
01-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I THINK I posted on those studies a few blog posts back...ahh yes, right here (http://robbwolf.com/?p=52).
I'm not sure if i tackled everything in that but most of it.

Steven Low
01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
My simple opinion is becoming this:

IF (or "skipping meals") on a crappy diet = bad

IF on a Paleo-style diet = good

That's why the progression that I (and I believe Robb Wolf as well) recommend is to go Paleo first, then worry about meal timing.

Putting crappy fuel in will make the engine run crappy, no matter whether it's put in when the tank is half full or nearly empty. Simple.

Until these studies are done with Paleo parameters and/or are watched *long-term* (to get past the initial re-balancing of the body's glucose/insulin mechanisms), I'm going to go with Black Box results.

I think you nailed it. Like all of it, lol.

Jane Michel
01-17-2008, 09:10 PM
I THINK I posted on those studies a few blog posts back...ahh yes, right here (http://robbwolf.com/?p=52).
I'm not sure if i tackled everything in that but most of it.

Thanks for pointing me to that post Robb!