PDA

View Full Version : high fat diet = insulin resistance?

Ale Dileo
01-19-2008, 09:14 PM
http://www.physorg.com/news119547408.html

Steve Liberati
01-20-2008, 07:44 AM
I don't think the fat is the culprit by itself or on a low carb diet as much as when combined with unfavorable refined and starchy carbs. Synergistcally, fat and carbs are known to cause a wicked insulin response. I'm curious what other macronutrients were involved in conducting this research. I suspect they are neglecting to see the whole picture here. Hopefully some others will chime in here and offer their take.

Allen Yeh
01-20-2008, 08:04 AM
"There are two very easy ways to prevent insulin resistance: Exercise more – you'll help mitochondria burn fat more effectively, or eat less fat in your diet. That's always easier said than done, of course."

I thought the 2nd part was interesting, since isn't that what was pushed very hard and heavy for more than a couple of decades now and look where that has gotten us in terms of diabetes type II?

Mike ODonnell
01-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Nothing new, don't eat meals high in fat and carbs. Same simple advice just in a new study. But now it's saying "low fat" is better....great that phase again....cause that helped lower Diabetes....Ummmmm wait.

Like Steve said, would not be an issue on a lower carb diet or properly timed inputs...aka protein and fat during the day.....carb and protein post workout....

Ale Dileo
01-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm curious what other macronutrients were involved in conducting this research. I suspect they are neglecting to see the whole picture here. Hopefully some others will chime in here and offer their take.

The author of this blog gives an example

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/When%20is%20a%20high%20fat%20diet%20not%3F%20Bang% 20on%20time%20example

Patrick Donnelly
01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Could someone please explain to me why The Zone idolizes a combination of protein, carbs, and fat at every meal if it raises insulin resistance? I was under the impression that adding fat to carbs lowers the GI of the meal, therefore the insulin response and the insulin sensitivity you could build.

Garrett Smith
01-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Good post on that blog, Ale.

I think what's going on here is a "use it or lose it" phenomenon.

People who eat high carb diets (which according to that blog post, it was a diet high in processed starch and sugar) are rarely, if ever, switching over to fat metabolism. Thus those processes are not being used, so they likely either degrade or are downregulated. Once someone cuts out the carbs, those processes ramp back up, and we have the familiar fat loss that goes hand-in-hand with low carb (thus high fat and protein) diets.

Eades should have fun with that study if he sees it.

Mike ODonnell
01-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Could someone please explain to me why The Zone idolizes a combination of protein, carbs, and fat at every meal if it raises insulin resistance? I was under the impression that adding fat to carbs lowers the GI of the meal, therefore the insulin response and the insulin sensitivity you could build.

The zone is a low calorie diet by nature, so you are not going to get fat on it. Not enough carbs per meal to raise insulin levels too high, plus protein will slow down the digestive process, the fat is also tacked on for calorie levels to not fall too low. Fat and Carbs ONLY is the WORST combination you could make and it will skyrocket your insulin and lead to insulin resistance. That study is just adding fat to an already terrible diet of sugars and processed carbs to see if fat can regulate the insulin response. That's like trying to bail out a sinking canoe with a giant hole in the bottom with a spoon....aint gonna happen...and the hole was the problem in the first place. (aka carbs and sugars are the primary issue)

Patrick Donnelly
01-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Good analogy, Mike.

Robb Wolf
01-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Garrett and MOD nailed it.
ALSO we see a phenomena that when folks go on a very low carb diet we may see a blunted glucose tollerance test in folks initially. They LOOK insulin resistant but are not as evidences by low triglycerides and decreased(ing) abdominal fat.