PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jr's First 50 Total

Derek Simonds
01-20-2008, 04:34 PM
This is from the Gator Swamp meet last weekend. Derek Jr did very well. He hit 50.00 for the first time ever. He has made some huge improvements but he is still struggling with some simple things.

One thing we have been talking about a lot lately is training like a champion. I told him if he wants to be a champion he has to train like one every day.

I am extraordinarily proud of my boy's accomplishments. Oh and Coach Danny Carmango from Team Altamonte Weightlifting would like Derek to start training with him once a week. I am obviously all for it, with the caveat that it has to work with the families schedule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNqOf_-BhJo

sarena kopciel
01-20-2008, 05:03 PM
This is from the Gator Swamp meet last weekend. Derek Jr did very well. He hit 50.00 for the first time ever. He has made some huge improvements but he is still struggling with some simple things.

One thing we have been talking about a lot lately is training like a champion. I told him if he wants to be a champion he has to train like one every day.

I am extraordinarily proud of my boy's accomplishments. Oh and Coach Danny Carmango from Team Altamonte Weightlifting would like Derek to start training with him once a week. I am obviously all for it, with the caveat that it has to work with the families schedule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNqOf_-BhJo

Derek --Junior is amazing! And now I will be able to say I know him too! Continued best for you and family!

David Aguasca
01-20-2008, 07:02 PM
wow, derek! derek jr. is looking damn solid on p-bars and rings. he did a great job!

Steven Low
01-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Pommels work is much better. Dunno if that's cause he grew or cause he got better, lol. Strength is a bit lacking but overall technique is much better.

Also, did you make the video out of order? Cause otherwise you guys didn't rotate in olympic order (floor, pommels, rings, vault, pbars, hbar) which kind of confused me a bit.

Allen Yeh
01-21-2008, 04:13 AM
Nice.

For those that are gymnastically dumb....what does hitting 50.0 mean?

Derek Simonds
01-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Pommels work is much better. Dunno if that's cause he grew or cause he got better, lol. Strength is a bit lacking but overall technique is much better.

Also, did you make the video out of order? Cause otherwise you guys didn't rotate in olympic order (floor, pommels, rings, vault, pbars, hbar) which kind of confused me a bit.

Let's just say that the meet was very flexible. We had our printed out rotation and then we never followed it.

Jr and I discussed his strength and some of that is due to the fact he grew a lot lately and some to the fact that he was playing several other sports so he was only working out 1 to 2 days a week. He is back to gymnastics only for a while.

Like I said I was very proud of him he has improved his tech a ton.

Derek Simonds
01-21-2008, 04:28 AM
Nice.

For those that are gymnastically dumb....what does hitting 50.0 mean?

Basically a 50.00 total is an average of 8.33 in each event. What it means to the athletes is that is considered a blue ribbon total in non medal meets. What it means to the coaches is that if an athlete can consistently post 50.00 or above they will start working with them in regards to moving to the next level.

Leo Soubbotine
01-21-2008, 05:12 AM
Great stuff! Congrats go to both Derek Jr and Derek Sr!

Allen Yeh
01-21-2008, 05:24 AM
Jr and I discussed his strength and some of that is due to the fact he grew a lot lately and some to the fact that he was playing several other sports so he was only working out 1 to 2 days a week. He is back to gymnastics only for a while.

Like I said before I'm somewhat gymnastically challenged but I think it's great that's he's doing a lot of sports at once. I think that builds a better base for later on in life than those parents who try to make their kids a one-sport-pony early on.

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-21-2008, 05:54 AM
Absolutely outstanding. I love it that you guys do so much together.

All the best,
Arden

Gant Grimes
01-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Very cool.

Garrett Smith
01-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Awesome Derek. My wife, an ex-gymnast herself, thought it was great too!

Blair Lowe
02-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Again, Derek, I really enjoyed your son's videos. I'm sure my dad would enjoy watching my guys competing since I watch the video two of the parents take after the first practice after the meet ( he lives in Colorado, and used to enjoy watching me do demos and coach my guys ).

My roomates were wondering what the heck I watching cause of the music.

Just because of the coach in me, I'm gonna say the following.

He arches when he does pullsups or his pullover. Lil' deduction there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I enjoy watching this kid swing on apparatus. And vault, he has a nice running pattern that looks coordinated and I can see him doing the Level 5 vault ( some of my boys or girls look like a running mess about to crash and burn when vaulting ).

Get those arms by your ears during those cartwheels. I'm a real nut about that as I'd hate for my kids to get lazy about that. Stick that head in, Derek.

Pommel seems to be getting better and I think it's a function that he is just bigger so it's easier. That and of course, practice.

Knees tight, lil man!

Actually one thing I'm wondering and I'm gonna email a judge I know about is the last cartwheel in the floor pass. I teach my kids that the last cartwheel leg steps in to the first leg ( cartwheel step-in or cartwheel step together [ our gym even has a horrible name called cart-off ] ).

I've seen some coaches teach it as a cartwheel to lunge and then step in to stand. In the text, it's a little hazy whether it's cartwheel to lunge and then step in or step in before the foot touches the ground behind the first leg/foot. In the video, however, they do have the second leg step in and to the side of the first leg/foot landing in a stand with feet side by side ( this, of course is done completely through the vertical plane ).

Roger, calls it a cartwheel to hollow-stand.

http://drillsandskills.com/article/10

I think I'm going to have to make sure we cut footage of our boy's for the end of the year show like we did at the last gym I was at.

Tomorrow is our last qualifier though L4 in our state is automatic. Get some at State the weekend after that!