PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss and narcisism!

Tony Ferous
01-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Hello all,

I've had 2 people remark that my hair is receding in the last 2 weeks, i though id try to save the rest before its too late! I get some dandruff too.
Anyone any tips to this ends?

For a few years ive done this:

Saw palmetto/urtica caps 1/2 dose - should help with prostate health too;
Multi vits and minerals with everything(biotin too);
Wash hair with polusorbate 80(removes DHT from the scalp) or nizoral, or rosemary shampoo ;
The ususal(for us here) anti-infamatory diet stuff - full paleo etc, fish oil, low carb etc.

Thanks again!

Paul Findley
01-23-2008, 08:41 AM
http://www.headshaver.org/links.html

This is the most comprehensive website I know of, at least on this topic. BBC!

Garrett Smith
01-23-2008, 10:18 AM
I'd suggest you do some research on those shampoos you are using and see if possible side effects include hair loss. That's where I'd start.

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-23-2008, 10:42 AM
I started losing my hair while in graduate school (22yrs old). At that time, I had a full head of hair down to the middle of my back (I swear it wasn't a mullett). It eventually became a mullet in an effort to make my hair look fuller.....but I must digress. I used Rogaine for about three years during my last year of Graduate School and my first two years of law school. It seemed to keep it from falling out, but it didn't make it any thicker. Finally when I got married, I just gave up and cut it short. As I've aged, it's gotten shorter and shorter. Now my wife cuts it every three weeks with a #1 guard.

If I could go back and do it again, I would have starting buzzing it way back when.

Good luck.

All the best,
Arden

Josh Goguen
01-23-2008, 11:54 AM
My hair started thinning at about 20. I cut it shorter and shorter, then around 5 years ago I decided to let it go and started shaving my head and honestly I like it. No more haircut appointments with someone who just makes me uncomfortable with go no where chit chat.

I can't imagine taking pills or rubbing in ointments to save something that really wasn't necessary.

Though I'm not one of those gung ho bald head brotherhood guys, a great quote I remember is, "Bald is a choice. Balding is not."

Garrett Smith
01-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Clippers, shortest setting, no guard.

A $30-$40 investment that saves a lot of time and money in the long run.

I did have a short period of time where my hair was receding, it did stop, I can't say I know what I changed that stopped it.

My wife won't let me grow it out--she has always known me with my short hair, and she says that she's seen enough pictures of me with long(er) hair that she's just not interested in the experiment. Saves me the work...

Scotty Hagnas
01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I started losing my hair at 18. I wore hats constantly for almost a decade to try to hide it.

One day, I cut it all off. I shave every day, and love it. Now, I wouldn't want it back, even if there was a way.

I also don't think my wife would want to see my lettuce back......

Dave Paton
01-23-2008, 02:26 PM
I turn 30 next month and have a full head of hair but just got it totally buzzed off this morning. i usually do it in the winter so i don't have to worry about my hair when wearing a winter cap. it also makes me feel cavemanish, or maybe Fight Clubish. Anyway, i like it but i don't look as good...people will tell me this. oh well. i do need to buy clippers though...it cost $16 at some pop's barber shop.

Paul Findley
01-23-2008, 06:36 PM
I went to goodmans.net and got an Oster clipper (da big one) and a finishing clipper. The cheap clippers just don't last. We did 4 cuts this weekend and I have buzzed my brother-in-law a few times, so it's "making" money now.

I recommend getting the professional level equipment.

The hard part has been finding technique related materials if you want to do all but your basic buzz.

Allen Yeh
01-24-2008, 03:22 AM
I was 23 after I went to Basic training in 2004 and noticed that my hair was NOT growing back the way it looked prior. I had noticed some thinning before I left in 2003 and had tried the Nioxin shampoo stuff but nothing substantial. From there on I tried the rogaine route for a 2-3 months and decided I didn't want to be dependent on a certain chemical for the next 60+ years of my life if I wanted to keep my hair. I experimented with shaving my head, with keeping it short, and with a high and tight.

Right now I'm just keeping it very short, my wife didn't like it when I was shaving it down all the way. She actually wants me to try to grow it out to see how it looks but I personally can't stand the way it looks for more than a week (the too short to do anything with other than stick straight up phase).

Susie Rosenberg
01-24-2008, 04:35 AM
Bald is way sexy.

Susie

Garrett Smith
01-24-2008, 05:41 AM
Nizoral tablets (http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/ketocon_ad.htm) (I understand you're using the shampoo) have had hair loss, aka alopecia, associated with them:

In worldwide postmarketing experience with NIZORALŪ Tablets there have been rare reports of alopecia, paresthesia, and signs of increased intracranial pressure including bulging fontanelles and papilledema. Hypertriglyceridemia has also been reported but a causal association with NIZORALŪ Tablets is uncertain.

From the same site's Precautions (http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/ketocon_wcp.htm):

Shampoo: If a reaction suggesting sensitivity or chemical irritation should occur, use of the medication should be discontinued.

There could also be a drug interaction going on between the Nizoral and the Polysorbate 80.

Looking around the internet, I came across the use of aloe for preventing hair loss. You may want to try that instead, as from what you are saying your current regimen is not working.

Brenda Resh
01-24-2008, 08:29 AM
This is an excellent site. Also, make sure you are taking plenty of folic acid.

Brenda
BCBSNC Agency (http://ibdinsurance.com)
Drug And Alcohol Recovery (http://www.markhoustonrecovery.com)
Drug and Alcohol Recovery for Women (http://www.opendoorretreat.com)

Tirzah Harper
01-25-2008, 07:26 AM
If you want a LOT of tips, try looking up the Long Hair Community forums. Not quite up your alley, but lots of hair care information!
I'm so tempted to shave my head sometimes. I'm not overly fond of my hair and I think I could pull off a Sinead O'Connor or Natalie Portman look pretty well...my husband doesn't agree though:)

Yael Grauer
01-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Bald is way sexy.

I agree. Shaved head = super hot.

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Susie and Yael......you guys are making me stick my chest out. :D

All the best,
Arden

Susie Rosenberg
01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Susie and Yael......you guys are making me stick my chest out. :D

All the best,
Arden

As well you should, Mr. Cogar!

ps: my husband is very bald and sexy, too.

Yael Grauer
01-25-2008, 02:30 PM
ps: my husband is very bald and sexy, too.

My boyfriend has a shaved head and is the sexiest man alive. :o Hair is overrated. Um, except mine. ;)

Paul Findley
01-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Suck that chest in, or it might be shaved too.