PDA

View Full Version : How do I know I'm eating enough vegetables?

Ari Kestler
01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't really weigh anything out, so when I eat a meal, it's pretty much a hunk of meat and as much veggies as I can pile on...Is there a minimum? For instance, most meals will either be an entire bag of frozen veggies from TJs, or 2 heads of broccoli, or an entire bag of spinach, etc, etc... So if I'm only eating 2 meals a day, is this enough?

Mike ODonnell
01-24-2008, 03:32 PM
I really don't think there is a "magic" number here. Of course it all has to do with health...the more phytonutrients, minerals and vitamins from vegetables, the healthier you will probably be. Some people may need alot of nutrients as they are compromised...others not so much. The less junk you eat...the less damage you also do to your body...so you probably need less nutrients for repair. Also environmental factors can come into play as far as cellular degredation and destruction. Then compare the content of organic or frozen veggies, with depleted minerals in the soil are you really getting the same amount with each serving.....don't you love all the variables.

In the end....eat as much as you can per meal....and you'll be better off than 95% of the people out there....

Garrett Smith
01-24-2008, 04:29 PM
You're one of the few people I actually say this to. Sounds like you're eating enough veggies. Try to get as much variety as you can, other than that you're doing very similar amounts to what I do.

Scott Kustes
01-27-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm in agreement with Dr. G. I typically answer "How many vegetables should I eat?" with "More," but you're eating about the same amount as me.

Dan Heaney
01-28-2008, 02:53 AM
Ok I have a bit of a spin off question becuase I do a similar thing except I eat 4-5 x a day. At breakfast I eat: 12 strawberries, 1 small banana, snack: 1 med apple, Lunch ; bag of Broc or Broc medley, bag spinach, Dinner; bag of veggies, bag of spinach and apple. This gets me about 200g CHO. I want to back my CHOs to 100g so I have to cut that in half. If I do is this still enough. So it will be 12 strawberries, 1 bag of veggies, 1 bag of spinach, 1 apple, and I think I ditch the banana because I have a PWO that includes 34g CHOs. That puts me around 100 after other CHOs are included. Am I eating enough? I also upped my F and P

BTW I want to cut the CHO becasue I am bloated all the time. I may give IF a shot on my non training day

Garrett Smith
01-28-2008, 05:56 AM
Dan,
I think you'll feel a lot better once you reduce both your carbs and your meal frequency.

Dan Heaney
01-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks! I hope so. Do you think I should go lower than 100g? I know on non-training days I will under 100 because I won't be having any PWO carbs. How low can I go before ketosis? Thanks

Garrett Smith
01-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Ketosis isn't a bad thing, it's ketoacidosis that's a problem. See this article (http://robbwolf.com/?p=18) for more on that.

If you really want to avoid ketosis, the only way to know is to get some Keto-Stix and keep track.

Ari Kestler
01-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks! I hope so. Do you think I should go lower than 100g? I know on non-training days I will under 100 because I won't be having any PWO carbs. How low can I go before ketosis? Thanks

Could easily cut down on CHO by cutting down on the fruit...

Dan Heaney
01-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Could easily cut down on CHO by cutting down on the fruit...

That's what I was thinking. I'll drop the apple next.

Ari Kestler
01-29-2008, 08:51 AM
That's what I was thinking. I'll drop the apple next.

I went through the same thing, I just said I wouldn't eat fruit unless it was berries (they taste the best, are the best from what I understand, and they are expensive). Perfect combination for limiting my fruit intake in the winter. In Summer, I'll probably open it up a bit. It doesn't help that I just started CFing after mostly a 5x5 routine for the last year, the metcon is giving me serious fruit craving issues.

Dan Heaney
02-02-2008, 03:19 PM
I went through the same thing, I just said I wouldn't eat fruit unless it was berries (they taste the best, are the best from what I understand, and they are expensive). Perfect combination for limiting my fruit intake in the winter. In Summer, I'll probably open it up a bit. It doesn't help that I just started CFing after mostly a 5x5 routine for the last year, the metcon is giving me serious fruit craving issues.

That's funny because I have been having apple craving. I'm sick for the first time in a few years and all I want to eat is apple. I havn't trained to a week and this was the PR week for my periodization cycle. I'm sure Mon when I get beack to it the Metcons will be brutal. Right now breathing is an issue.