PDA

View Full Version : Methylglyoxal and ketosis

Greg Battaglia
01-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Just wondering if anyone (probably Robb) has gained any further insight into methylglyoxal formation and/or regulatory functions in a ketotic state (fasting, ketosis, CR). The topic was discusses in a previous thread that can be found here: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268&highlight=methylglyoxal

Robb alluded to the idea that there may be some regulatory mechanisms in action that prevent methylglyoxals from forming AGE's in the case of IF. Any new ideas, theories, facts regarding this topic? Thanks in advance.

Robb Wolf
01-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Greg-
Everything I've researched on this topic points towards ketosis decreasing AGE's both from non-enzyme mediated glycation (glycose) and methylglyoxal. Not surprisingly, hihg blood glucose levels AND ketosis (ketoacidosis...raging insulin resistance) is REALLY bad for AGE's.

I have a blog post int he works looking at some of the mechanisms in place with low carb eating and potential health benefits.

Greg Battaglia
01-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Well that's certainly ear (or eye, technically) candy for me! Thanks Robb.

Greg Battaglia
01-25-2008, 11:29 AM
P.S. Nice post on your blog titled "36". I wish I had that many things going for my life right now! Maybe after college! Excellent PR's, by the way, I'm 21 and don't have PR's anywhere near that right now (mostly due to injuries though). Anyway, looking forward to your blog post on low carb and health.