PDA

View Full Version : I feel scammed.

Patrick Donnelly
01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
I recently bought $155 of study materials for the ACE-Group Fitness Instructor certification. I got a manual, study guide, anatomy guide, and practice test. Halfway into Chapter 2 of the manual, I decided to take the practice test and see how I could do.

I got a 43 out of 60, which equates to a 72%.

The stuff I got wrong was all about:
1. The use of music in your aerobics workout. (Oh God.)
2. Pregnant clients. (Probably won't be dealing with this.)
3. The Karvonen heartrate formula. (Oh God.)
4. Legal definitions. (Okay, one important topic.)

The certification test is rated on a 200-800 scale, with 500 being passing. So... I really don't know how a 72% fits into that, but I figure it's passing...

I thought I had read somewhere that ACE was a non-profit organization?

Garrett Smith
01-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Patrick,
The key things to study for ACE are the two areas you said you had issues with:

Pregnant women
Legal stuff

Get the cert so you can get insurance, then don't worry about it. Over the years I dropped all of my certs except my CSCS. One cert plus being a quality trainer is all you need.

Mike ODonnell
01-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the world of personal trainer certs....the most useless things you will ever need to know. They are all scams....wait till you need to keep paying money to keep your cert from expiring every year. But...if you plan on training, scam or not, you need it for liability and credentials until you become better known.

I would of gone with the NSCA-CPT test, theirs is the only one that looks legit.

Patrick Donnelly
01-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Re: Garrett
Yeah, I just want to pass the test. There is a lot of good info in the book, but not much I don't already know, and every time I see the word "tone," it makes me cringe...

Re: MOD
The NSCA requires a high school diploma... Not quite there yet. Of course, the fact that ACE doesn't require it makes them seem all the more illegitimate...

Patrick Donnelly
01-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Ok, now I'm going from feeling scammed to wanting to cry. I skimmed through the rest of Chapter 2 (mostly muscle-bone connections), and then went quickly through Chapter 3. It was kinesiology, ie. core training. (There was other info, like hip/scapular stabilization, but the chapter focused on plank holds and swiss balls.)

Next up is the nutrition chapter...

Jordan Glasser
01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Next up is the nutrition chapter...
Get your kleenex ready!

Jamila Bey
01-29-2008, 08:57 AM
I wanted to teach group classes a couple years back- even before I heard of CF or O-lifting, and I instantly failed the practical exam 'cause I was illustrating "DANGEROUS" technique.

I squatted the way it didn't make my knees CRY. Below 90 degrees.

Patrick Donnelly
01-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Eating protein makes you fat, so limit it to 6oz of meat per day.
Carbs help give you glycogen for quick energy in high-intensity exercises, like your daily 60 minutes of cardio, so eat a lot of them.
Grains contain antioxidants that prevent cancer.
Glucose doesn't get stored as fat.
Saturated fat causes heart disease.
Juice and milk are good supplements for water to hydrate an active adult.
"Foods cannot be classified into 'good' or 'bad' categories." (Just remembering the title "Good Calories, Bad Calories" really made me laugh here.)
To loose weight, form a caloric deficit by eating less and exercising more - just ignore the hunger you get after working out.
Complex carbohydrates are packed with vitamins, minerals, and other non-nutritive but beneficial compounds.

I'm going to have to get you guys to un-brainwash me in about 6 weeks.