PDA

View Full Version : What,exactly,is going on?

David Mathews
01-28-2008, 08:42 AM
I have been paleoish for over 6 months (apprx. 60-100g carbs/day) and pretty much fat adapted,if that is the right phrase,the fat seems to be melting off.My question is; What mix of carbs/glycogen and/or fat and/or muscle(hopefully none) do you think you would be burning in these two scenarios and what amount of carbs would you say is needed PWO with each?These were both done in the A.M. around 7:00 fasting since supper the night before(8-9pm);
1.WOD-Murph;run 1 mile,100 pullups,200 pushups,300 squats,run 1 mile(45 minutes)
2.ME(one exercise only;squats,deads,or presses 5x5,5x3 or 5x1) plus a short 8-10 minute wod/finisher.

Can you burn fat through a whole workout if you are fat adapted enough?Or is it always a combination?

When I did Murph I took in apprx. 50g carbs PWO with 60-70g of protein and it seemed to suffice.I usually only take in apprx. 20g carbs after an ME workout.Is this enough? From a blackbox standpoint it seems to be working but I don't want to be slowly digging a whole and end up crashing and burning. Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

I know,I know if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Robb Wolf
01-29-2008, 10:45 AM
David-
Looks good. There are exertion levels that absolutely will outstrip your fat metabolism and you will need to use glycogen. Your PWO meals sound adequate AND conservative. Larger WO's can/will accommodate larger carb meals. Tinkering is the only way to know how to manage that.
Robb

David Mathews
01-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Robb,
Thanks for the reply.Let me ask you this.I assume you are in ketosis some/most/all? the time so what kind of carb intake can you get away with and stay or get into ketosis and do you think it is healthier to try to stay in ketosis or fluctuate in and out?Also are my glycogen stores ample enough to get through most xfit WOD's even fasted early A.M.? I'm assuming so because I have yet to bonk on one.

Mike ODonnell
01-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Also are my glycogen stores ample enough to get through most xfit WOD's even fasted early A.M.? I'm assuming so because I have yet to bonk on one.

There's your answer right there. There's no magic number of carbs due to the great many individual differences between everyone's insulin resistance and fat/carb adapted metabolism. If it works for positive increases in body composition and performance....then you are where you need to be.

Robb Wolf
02-02-2008, 08:14 AM
David-
Ketosis is by no means the end-all-be-all for fat loss. If things are progressing along nicely, run with that!

David Mathews
02-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Robb,
That's what I wanted to hear!! And I would venture to guess that someone who trains a fair amount would not/could not be in ketosis and keep up any serious intensity.Would you agree with this?