PDA

View Full Version : Yerba Matte

Matt Lawson
01-28-2008, 06:36 PM
would Yerba matte be considered paleo friendly? if so...does anyone know much about it? ive read allot about it though people on this forum tend to have the skinny on stuff. Any thoughts?

Troy Archie
01-28-2008, 07:09 PM
It's like tea but different. Pretty much no calories. Some good anti-oxidants. Tastes pretty good. Has some caffeine for a nice buzz...

I see nothing wrong.

Garrett Smith
01-29-2008, 05:43 AM
Nothing wrong in particular, unless you are trying to control your caffeine intake.

Most yerba mate is smoked (you may or may not want the added potential carcinogens that smoking provides), I have recently seen yerba mate that is "raw", or not smoked at all.

I've tried yerba mate several times, I don't know if it's the smoking or not, it just doesn't sit well with me, nor do I particularly like the flavor.

Robb Wolf
01-29-2008, 10:41 AM
I have a similar experience as Dr. G. Green tea and mate actually mess with me whereas coffeee does not (precious...)

There are several stimulant alkaloids in these products..theophyline(sp?) being one that actually makes it hard for me to think. weird stuff.

Garrett Smith
01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Robb, I get the same thing with green tea too...I tend to just feel unsettled and get the vurps really easily with both of those teas...weird, I know.

John Alston
01-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Weird. I found the matte buzz less jittery than a strong caffeine buzz, though these days I'm a regular coffee guy, so I'm jitter resistant.

Troy Archie
01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah "caffeine" isn't necessarily "caffeine". Different alkaloids can affect the body in different ways. As a barista I can have copious amounts of coffee and not feel any after-effects or sleep disturbances. Have a cup of black tea past 8pm and I'm tossing and turning all night. It's all what you're tolerant to...

Dave Paton
01-29-2008, 02:20 PM
I have tried it several times in Argentina. I think it's tastes pretty nasty. I also believe the original purpose of it is too curb hunger pangs. If you wonder why every woman in Argentina is thin--and no, i am not generalizing--it's 2 things....mate and cigarettes.

Scotty Hagnas
01-31-2008, 07:34 AM
I've had the same unpleasant response from the green teas, as well. I avoid them now. (meanwhile, sipping my La Llave)

Greg Battaglia
02-02-2008, 12:09 PM
For those of you who have had issues with green tea, I think I have the solution. I used to have the same reactions when drinking any sort of green tea until I tried brewing the tea in lower-temperature water. Rather than boiling water and adding it right to the tea while it's steaming hot, I now heat the water only until there are a few bubbles at the bottom of the pot, and put my finger in the water to feel the temp. I've found that the best temp. is when it's hot, but not to the point of where you have to pull your finger out in order to avoid being burnt. I then pour the water in and let it brew for several minutes (5 mins usually), dunking the bag occasionally. When I drink it this way I find that it increases alertness, energy, and well-being overall. Coffee, on the other hand has a very acidic nature to it. It gives me heart burn and heart palps and makes me feel tired and fatigued after the buzz wears off. Green tea brewed in boiling water gives me stomach pains, headache, lethargy, fatigue, and makes me stupid and clumsy.

Allen Yeh
02-04-2008, 05:07 AM
I have no problems with green tea or yerba mate. I've tried to give up coffee completely so I've just shifted my addiction.

Garrett Smith
02-04-2008, 05:14 AM
Alkaloids...particularly glycoalkaloids...the subject of my next PMenu article on nightshades!

Eric Jones
02-05-2008, 07:35 PM
That's a well known practice in teh tea community...HOT water ruins most teas, especially Greens which are very fragile. You should watch how carefully the experts handle it, babying loose leaves like they are glass ornaments.

Allen Yeh
02-06-2008, 03:56 AM
For those of you who have had issues with green tea, I think I have the solution. I used to have the same reactions when drinking any sort of green tea until I tried brewing the tea in lower-temperature water. Rather than boiling water and adding it right to the tea while it's steaming hot, I now heat the water only until there are a few bubbles at the bottom of the pot, and put my finger in the water to feel the temp. I've found that the best temp. is when it's hot, but not to the point of where you have to pull your finger out in order to avoid being burnt. I then pour the water in and let it brew for several minutes (5 mins usually), dunking the bag occasionally. When I drink it this way I find that it increases alertness, energy, and well-being overall.

I guess I never took the time to read the box of green tea from Trader Joes but this morning when I was reaching for it I happened to notice on the back it says:

"Let water cool 5-7 minutes after boiling...steep 1-2 minutes. Dunk tea bag in and out a few times."

Funny.

sarena kopciel
03-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Started on the yerba mate bandwagon a few days ago! This came on the advice of a well respected Oly coach when I questioned about dropping a weight class/few more lbs! He recommends it to those who arent caffeine sensitive as it helps to speed up metabolism!

In all actuality it does taste a bit like dirty water; but, I kinda like it! :o

Jay Cohen
03-09-2008, 09:58 AM
That's a well known practice in teh tea community...HOT water ruins most teas, especially Greens which are very fragile. You should watch how carefully the experts handle it, babying loose leaves like they are glass ornaments.

Eric;

You're place is rocking. Great Vid's.
Keep it up, you'll be giving Doug a run the the money up at Hyperfit.
Jay

Chris Bardwell
03-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Started on the yerba mate bandwagon a few days ago! This came on the advice of a well respected Oly coach when I questioned about dropping a weight class/few more lbs! He recommends it to those who arent caffeine sensitive as it helps to speed up metabolism!

In all actuality it does taste a bit like dirty water; but, I kinda like it! :o

Try mixing it with some stevia and a TBSP of Honey pre-workout, amazing boost. Also having the same brew post workout is a great recovery agent.
Have a look at W/F/S YerbaMateCafe.biz (http://www.yerbamatecafe.biz) if you want some good flavors the Mint Mahtay (http://www.yerbamatecafe.biz/product-p/mt002s.htm) is unreal, and their ultimate bombilla's are great to drink it with.
This stuff is my favorite way to start a day,

C ;)

Ben Moskowitz
03-11-2008, 02:47 PM
I've indulged in the coca-leaf mate while I was in Bolivia. It has a pretty interesting taste and does have caffeine-like effects. You get a little buzzed from it.

The Bolivians use coca leaves and mate tea to:

-stave off hunger or an upset stomach
-boost energy for studying/working in the fields
-as a medicinal herb, they think it has healing properties

(it's legal in Bolivia at least, it takes a whole field of leaves to make a small amount of coke, check out Evo Morales and his defense of the coca leaf)

sarena kopciel
03-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Try mixing it with some stevia and a TBSP of Honey pre-workout, amazing boost. Also having the same brew post workout is a great recovery agent.
Have a look at W/F/S YerbaMateCafe.biz (http://www.yerbamatecafe.biz) if you want some good flavors the Mint Mahtay (http://www.yerbamatecafe.biz/product-p/mt002s.htm) is unreal, and their ultimate bombilla's are great to drink it with.
This stuff is my favorite way to start a day,

C ;)

Thanks, looked over the info but am gonna stick with the plain variety from the health food store now!

Chris Forbis
03-11-2008, 04:06 PM
I've indulged in the coca-leaf mate while I was in Bolivia. It has a pretty interesting taste and does have caffeine-like effects. You get a little buzzed from it.

The Bolivians use coca leaves and mate tea to:

-stave off hunger or an upset stomach
-boost energy for studying/working in the fields
-as a medicinal herb, they think it has healing properties

(it's legal in Bolivia at least, it takes a whole field of leaves to make a small amount of coke, check out Evo Morales and his defense of the coca leaf)

Don't they use it in the tea to help one deal with the altitude? Opens up capillaries in the lungs or something, if I remember correctly...