PDA

View Full Version : Air Squat Videos

Craig Snyder
01-29-2008, 04:40 PM
I recently discovered that I have a posterior tilt with my squat...very ugly. The bad part is I didn't know it until I did a video of myself last Friday. Sorry about the music...yahoo radio was on my laptop when I was taping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oP9QwB5GL4 (w/f safe)

Since that time, I have been working very aggressively on stretching my hamstrings in sitting, standing, and laying positions. Static but primarily PNF with 20 sec hold/10 contract cycles.

Also, working on the mechanics of the squat and motor recruitment, such as using hip flexors to pull myself down into the hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzn6kT2TMKU (w/f safe)

I think I have made pretty good progress in 4 days, a small tilt at the bottom and my depth still sucks. If I go deeper than the video shows my pelvis posterior tilts much more. Also I have a lot of impingement in the anterior hip as well...both sides.

Basically what I am looking for is more flaws from the video that I am not seeing and some ideas for the anterior hip pain. My hips are very tight and I am making good progress, but the hip flexion restriction is going to be a problem for further depth.

Thanks for the help.

Craig

Derek Simonds
01-30-2008, 05:19 AM
That is a pretty big improvement in a short time.

I am sure that Allen or MOD can give you some additional pointers.

Steven Low
01-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Feet are excessively wide. That's good for engaging the posterior chain (aka powerlifting squat), but it won't afford you much ROM below parallel. Put your feet about shoulder width or slightly out from shoulder width and then if you need to externally rotate them about 20-30 degrees or so. This may limit you at first, but once you get it down you should have much more ROM.

Aside from that, keep stretching the hamstrings and working on your form as you go down into the hole. One thing to keep in mind is you can generally go deeper if you allow your knees to go over your toes a bit and put your weight on your heels at the same time.

Robb Wolf
01-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Craig-
Just stay as engaged as possible...right on that edge of turn-under. You are making great progress. if you add a millimeter per session you will have rock solid, ass-to-ankle squats in no time.

Craig Snyder
01-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will narrow my stance and keep stretching.

Any ideas about the anterior hip pain, or is that just tightness that everyone feels when first squatting deep correctly?

Craig

William Hunter
01-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will narrow my stance and keep stretching.

Any ideas about the anterior hip pain, or is that just tightness that everyone feels when first squatting deep correctly?

Craig

Could be you just getting used to pulling yourself into the hole with your hip flexors, but you should add some psoas and rectus femoris stretches to your routine and see if they help. I think it's significant that the one and only static stretch that CF seems to advocate is the hip flexor stretch.

Craig Snyder
01-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Could be you just getting used to pulling yourself into the hole with your hip flexors, but you should add some psoas and rectus femoris stretches to your routine and see if they help. I think it's significant that the one and only static stretch that CF seems to advocate is the hip flexor stretch.

The sensation is more of a pinch in the hip as opposed to a muscles ache or soreness that way. But it wouldn't surprise me if the hip flexors are involved in someway, I am sure they are weak/tight like the rest of my legs. I noticed today after I am really warmed up, the pain is much less, so I am pretty sure it will go away if I keep working at it.

My rectus is very tight and I have been working on that too, but it hasn't been a major focus like my hammies and addcutor have been. I also added a lot of ankle mobs and gastroc stretches to improve my ankle mobility. My knee won't go past my toes until those loosen up more if my ankles don't move more.

Craig

Garrett Smith
01-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Craig,
Is the pinching in only one hip or both?

Craig Snyder
01-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Craig,
Is the pinching in only one hip or both?

Both. I do have internal rotation deficits in both hips as well with the same pinching pain which leads me to believe it is an internal impingement of sorts. The more and the deep I push myself to squatting the better.

I did discover a new use for a smith machine...I set the bar fairly low so when I was streching in the squat I could use the bar for an OH press to push myself down into the hole. Worked pretty good. The only other good use for the smith is horizontal rows. :)

Craig