PDA

View Full Version : sleep duration

Barney Ring
01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
I just finished reading "Lights Out," but I started trying to sleep nine hours a night before that based on reading posts around the net. My problem is I can't make myself sleep that long.

I have to be up by 5 am to go to work, so at 8 pm I'm in bed. No trouble falling asleep, but at 4 am I am wide awake. This has happened several days in a row. I definetely feel more rested than before, but the only time I can remember sleeping 10 hours or more I had either been awake for 36+ hours or I was hammered drunk and had to sleep it off.

So, I guess my question after all that rambling is: Am I screwed because I can't stay asleep for 9+ hours? It certainly seems so from reading the aforementioned book.

Thanks for any help here.

Derek Simonds
01-31-2008, 12:51 PM
I am on the same schedule you are on, except that I do the CA WOD with at 5:00 AM. If you are getting 8 hours of solid uninterrupted sleep you are doing better than 99% of America.

I am in bed every night by 9:ish the ish part depends on familial responsibilities and BJJ training in the evening. If I am exhausted I will go to bed earlier. There are many mornings where I wake up before my alarm and am ready to go. There are unfortunately some mornings when that alarm comes way too soon.

I would play with the schedule some, because you are the only result that matters. Once again if you are sleeping 8 hours and feeling rested don't stress over the 9 hours.

Have you made sure that there is no light pollution in your room? The only light in my room is red from the alarm clock. That really made a big difference for me.

Allen Yeh
02-01-2008, 05:09 AM
If your able to wake up prior to your alarm and feeling rested, no worries.