PDA

View Full Version : Cold climates and fresh foods

Craig Snyder
02-02-2008, 08:49 AM
This questions goes out to anyone living where the ground is frozen for about 6 months of the year.

I have read about the importance of eating fresh foods/inseason veggies/fruits, but what is the best way to get fresh veggies when there isn't any around? Is frozen the best way to go or is canned ok if you rinse and drain them? This problem for me is compounded as I live in a fairly remote area in MN. I have to drive over an hour before I see a Wal-mart, and there is no traffic slowing me down. I don't have any whole food markets/organic markets in the area so that is out of the question. I am pretty sure that any 'fresh' foods that I have in the local grocery store have so many preservatives on them to keep the looking good and to survive the trip up here that you can't hardly call them edible anymore.

Speaking of cold climates...it was -9 F (-23 C)this AM...Starting to warm up!

Craig

Mike ODonnell
02-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I have read about the importance of eating fresh foods/inseason veggies/fruits, but what is the best way to get fresh veggies when there isn't any around?

Isn't that the whole idea? If they are not available...they are not in season? Colder months you probably need less anti-oxidants anyways.

Craig Snyder
02-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Isn't that the whole idea? If they are not available...they are not in season? Colder months you probably need less anti-oxidants anyways.

The problem is the food being fresh as it sits in the back of the truck for 3 days from Florida or Califorinia to get to the northern climates. I am not sure what needs to be done to preserve the foods for those trips. Would just be better to eat prepackaged frozen veggies/fruit or canned is basically what I asking.

Why would you need less anti-oxidants in colder months?

Craig

Mike ODonnell
02-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Technically I would think the lack of being outside exposed to UV rays, shorter days outside doing manual labor....then you don't need as much anti-oxidants. Plus you in a sense are just living off fat stores from the summer of eating all the fruits and vegetables. Just a paleo concept.

Joe Hart
02-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Living in MN also...I just eat apples, pears, oranges, bannanas and meat. It gets kind of boring about half way through winter. I would like to eat some berries just to mix it up but paying $5.00 for a tiny little box is not worth it. Just to keep some sanity (Heeeres Johnny!) I would go for frozen berries.

Craig Snyder
02-03-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks MOD. That makes sense. My thought processes were leading me toward people being sick more in winter and needing more fruit/veggies. Has this topic been discussed or is there information that I can get regarding this somewhere?

Joe. You are right. I bought some blueberries and amost had to take out a loan to get them. When I got them, they weren't that good anyway. My probem with frozen fruit is that it gets mushy. I don't like mushy fruit unless I am making a smoothy. But maybe I just can't be picky living up here and take what I can get when it comes.

Craig

Mike ODonnell
02-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks MOD. That makes sense. My thought processes were leading me toward people being sick more in winter and needing more fruit/veggies. Has this topic been discussed or is there information that I can get regarding this somewhere?

Joe. You are right. I bought some blueberries and amost had to take out a loan to get them. When I got them, they weren't that good anyway. My probem with frozen fruit is that it gets mushy. I don't like mushy fruit unless I am making a smoothy. But maybe I just can't be picky living up here and take what I can get when it comes.

Craig

I know seasonal has been discussed...as for all the other tecnhical aspects of cycling, maybe not...who knows. Also since you are probably living off fat stores, then you cal intake is lower and your fat sources are more saturated and stable...so again, less oxidative damage.

Of course in today's world that may not be as accurate as Paleo man.

Nikki Young
02-03-2008, 01:37 PM
I think you should still try to get some veggies at least, to get some antioxidants. Although i believe that in the colder climates you could do with slightly less antioxidants and be healthy eating what food sources are available. I still feel it's important to focus on the environmental contaminations as well.

If we where all living in the middle of the no-where with no radiation, no chemicals no pollution, etc. I believe we could live healthy off what food sources which are available to us. However, we now live in a very toxic environment, not only is the air polluted with petrol/diesel fumes, but things we use daily like soap, shampoo, toothpaste contain nasty chemicals (unless you have gone chemical free on this front), most water supplies around the world have chemicals like fluoride and chlorine in them, if you work at a computer you are getting UV radiation from that, as well as UV radiation from lights.

So in taking your environment into consideration, it's extremely important to get antioxidants to help counterbalance that damage caused. I will say i don't know anything about the conditions of the town you live in, but it is something to take into consideration..

If you aren't eating grass fed meats, i think thats another reason for trying to get veggies for antioxidants, as grass fed meats do contain antioxidants.

Frozen veggies can be a good idea, i would say that the antioxidant quality of frozen veggies would be higher than canned. Another option is too potentially look into a whole food nutritional supplement, to help get an antioxidant hit without the carbs and sugars your body shouldn't need as much of in the cold climate.

Mike ODonnell
02-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Didn't mean to imply NOT eating veggies....just saying that eating in season for fruits may be something to adapt to. Also I believe the body can manufacture its own anti-oxidants from other sources including internally...and that taking too many external (food or supplement) anti-oxidants is actually not good because you lower your own body's response system. Winter seems to have less stressors than summer/wamrer months. Think of seasonal eating like IF for anti-oxidants.