PDA

View Full Version : Calculating zone values

daniel doiron
02-05-2008, 04:23 AM
I just wanted to know if some of you calculate (estimate) the zone block values of foods?
Do you just look at the label and give one block per 7 gr prot, 1.5 gr fat and 9 gr carb in the food?
For foods without labels, I have also used Fitday or Nutritiondata.com .

Is this a good way of working with foods that aren't on in 'the books' for zone?

Gant Grimes
02-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Yes, in the Zone you divide and round. Don't count calories.

If there is no label, yeah, you can use Fitday. A better practice is to research other foods prepared by that company. Some use crappier ingredients than others, and you need to know that.

If you're eating at a restaurant, assume there is added unhealthy fat and corn syrup.

What are you eating that's not on the books or on the website.

Garrett Smith
02-08-2008, 08:28 AM
I did the OCD Zone, where I totaled all of the PRO, FAT, and CHO. No rounding.

It was a little tougher, but it worked just as well.

Ben Moskowitz
02-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Yeah, nutritiondata.com is great. Fitday is similarly great. Calorie-count.com is good for analyzing whole recipes and some chain restaurant foods (if you have to go there).

Don't get too wrapped up in the numbers though. I wouldn't waste too much time on calculating out your meals...
You can always fall back on 3-5 blocks of meat, rest of plate of veggies and/or some fruit, and a dash of fat.

daniel doiron
02-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the info!
I will continue using books, labels and the web to get my info.

Gant - We sometimes go to see family and stay there for the weekend or something similar. This takes me out or my 'regular' eating habits and I sometimes need to make do with what they have or the group is eating. I am trying to figure out how much and what to eat when they eat.

Thanks again guys,
Dan