PDA

View Full Version : More on Milk

John Alston
02-07-2008, 11:32 AM
In light of recent threads/posts, I thought I'd share this discussion with Rippetoe and others...
http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=431

John Alston
02-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Quick link to the meat of it...
http://strengthmill.net/forum/showpost.php?p=7164&postcount=49

Patrick Donnelly
02-07-2008, 01:11 PM
I love Rip.

Allen Yeh
02-08-2008, 04:01 AM
Interesting post, I know my days of being super interested in bodybuilding are long past but most of those guys (natural or not) don't have a huge amount of milk in their diets and their main goal is hypertrophy.

Derek Simonds
02-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I think that Rip made his point quite nicely. :)

Matt Lawson
02-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Rip one RIP!

He is my hero.

Tom Rawls
02-12-2008, 07:47 AM
from Peak Performance, a newsletter in the UK:

"Just this year [2007], Canadian scientists evaluated the long-term consequences of milk or soy protein, or carbohydrate (as maltodextrin) on muscle mass gains after resistance training. Subjects trained five days a week for 12 weeks and were given isocaloric beverages consisting of either fat-free milk, fat-free soy protein, or maltodextrin within an hour after their training sessions.
"In the study, they found no differences in strength development between the groups. However, the researchers did determine that type II muscle fibre increased in all groups; moreover, it increased the most in the milk group. Muscle mass gains were also significantly greater in the milk group when compared with both the soy and control groups. They concluded that the consistent consumption of milk after resistance training can promote greater hypertrophy when combined with resistance training."

John Alston
02-12-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm so split on milk. At one level, it's obviously awesome - see Tom's post - but at another, the mucous is really an issue with large consumption.
Maybe the answer is to use milk more in warmer times so the mucous issue isn't as bad, because increasing mucous during the dry winter months when snot production seems to already be nice and high etc kind of sucks.
Booger post of the day...

John Alston
02-12-2008, 12:43 PM

Derek Simonds
02-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Well I think that this is definitely the final word on milk. BTW foul language included so be careful at work or around the kiddies. None the less you have to watch.

Lewis Black on the problem with milk today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCZRXW-pFcE)

Greg Everett
02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Robb, you've been replaced as resident nutrition expert...

Leo Soubbotine
03-07-2008, 12:29 PM
"Soy juice... is making my milk feel bad about itself." That stuff is classic.

Thanks for the link to SM forum - good read

Derek Simonds
03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I have been struggling trying to put on some weight for the last 4 weeks so I went ahead and dove into the milk pool.

I am half way thru a half gallon of milk and I seriously believe my intestines are trying to crawl out my throat.

We will see how this little experiment goes with the corned beef and cabbage I just slaughtered. Should be exciting.

Mike ODonnell
03-17-2008, 11:44 AM
I have been struggling trying to put on some weight for the last 4 weeks so I went ahead and dove into the milk pool.

I am half way thru a half gallon of milk and I seriously believe my intestines are trying to crawl out my throat.

We will see how this little experiment goes with the corned beef and cabbage I just slaughtered. Should be exciting.

You picked the wrong day to drink milk......

Brandon Enos
04-03-2008, 05:45 PM
This is all great, if A) you want to gain size and B) arent paleo. But what about those of us who are starting the starting strength program, but not with the intention of size gain, and Im a paleo eater. What am I to do, drink coconut milk with a side of steak?

John Alston
04-04-2008, 06:22 AM
This is all great, if A) you want to gain size and B) arent paleo. But what about those of us who are starting the starting strength program, but not with the intention of size gain, and Im a paleo eater. What am I to do, drink coconut milk with a side of steak?
You can drink milk, you just have to kill a wild, nursing mammal first.

Kevin Perry
04-04-2008, 07:42 AM

Then do the program without milk. Milk is not a requirement despite what people say, it's just an add on for those who want to add size while on the program.

Mike ODonnell
04-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Eat more steak and eggs....like said above, it's about the calories...and milk is just a cheap and easy way for people to get alot in...although I would guess you will get more fat gain with dairy due to the insulin response from it. Worst case scenario....cycle milk in for 4 weeks and see what happens. You can always stop drinking it. It's always hardest to gain strength and muscle/size....it's alot easier to maintain it.

Troy Archie
04-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I decided to do the whole milk thing for a couple days. I'm lactose intollorant but I've been putting lactase drops in my milk but even with that I still feel bloated and heavy plus I did feel a fair bit of fat gain was made too. I've gone back to my weight gain secret; olive oil. Cook with lots of it and use lots on salads. So far the weight gain has been a lot leaner, easier on the stomach and on the wallet.