PDA

View Full Version : Am I eating too much meat?

Ari Kestler
02-07-2008, 11:36 AM
I never thought I'd ask this, but on the topic of my previous vegetable thread... I think I average between 3/4 and 1.5 pounds of meat consumption a day. I'm about 5'9" and 170, I'm just starting CF coming from a novice lifting background, so I'm fairly weak...I have no estimate of my bf% but mirror wise I would say it is surely greater than 12%...Ultimate goals are to have this down to 8-10% and improved muscle development so that I can competitively do CF and have functional strength

John Alston
02-07-2008, 11:58 AM
nO.

John Alston
02-07-2008, 12:01 PM
OK, now that I actually read your post, my answer is still no. I'm not much bigger than you, and I think a lb a day is a good goal.
If you want to build muscle, you might want to shoot for 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight (or more!!!), and a lb of meat is roughly 100-110g of protein, with plenty of variation per leanness, etc.
But real meat protein is better than powders, so meat is tops.
Now, you'll want to get good healthy sources of meat - grassfed, hormone free, etc. as much as possible, but if you can do that, eat as much meat as you possibly can.
Also, if you're looking for more strength primarily, I'd say straigth xfit WOD isn't the fastest way to go...

Robb Wolf
02-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Totally fine.

Garrett Smith
02-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I do a can of fish for lunch and 0.75-1.0 pounds of animal flesh (sometimes more) for dinner. It seems about right for me, should work similar for you.

Ari Kestler
02-08-2008, 05:42 AM
OK, now that I actually read your post, my answer is still no. I'm not much bigger than you, and I think a lb a day is a good goal.
If you want to build muscle, you might want to shoot for 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight (or more!!!), and a lb of meat is roughly 100-110g of protein, with plenty of variation per leanness, etc.
But real meat protein is better than powders, so meat is tops.
Now, you'll want to get good healthy sources of meat - grassfed, hormone free, etc. as much as possible, but if you can do that, eat as much meat as you possibly can.
Also, if you're looking for more strength primarily, I'd say straigth xfit WOD isn't the fastest way to go...

I'm open to suggestions, I did a 5x5 program for several months and some KB training, and while I enjoyed them, I seem to be enjoying CF more...I'd love to incorporate both but having difficulty with overlap of muscles between WoD and 5x5, it doesn't help the fact that I'm sore most days from CF, but I'm a 2 week newb... hoping my current schedule of CF, day off, CF, day off, .... will soon be able to go to 3:1 or 2:1...I also like that CF is something different everyday and between the WoD and a CFWU I feel like my whole body is doing something...

I'm not necessarily looking to pack on strength, but in my current state, I realize I am not strong enough to do WoDs as Rx and that is something I'd like to shoot for...

John Alston
02-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Well, I'm totally off WODDING so if you want the variety of WODs plus more strength, there's this ME Black Box thing people talk about. I think it's just making the middle day of every 3 day on cycle a strength workout and ignoring the directive from central command, but I bet someone else (lots of people) on here know(s) a lot more about it...

Gant Grimes
02-08-2008, 07:34 AM
No.

If it's an IF day I'll sometimes eat 8-12 oz. in one sitting. I recommend wearing a viking helmet while doing this.

Tom Rawls
02-08-2008, 07:58 AM
. . . and ripping the meat with your hands?

Dan Heaney
02-08-2008, 08:25 AM
No.

If it's an IF day I'll sometimes eat 8-12 oz. in one sitting. I recommend wearing a viking helmet while doing this.

I do that all the time. Minus the helmet of course! I eat a 4 piece bag of Salmon every day. 2 pieces mid morning and 2 for lunch plus whatever meat I eat at dinner usually 8-12oz of beef, chicken or pork tenderloin

Gant Grimes
02-08-2008, 09:26 AM

Yes. If you must have utensils, use a stick.

Ari Kestler
02-08-2008, 11:54 AM

The other day I cooked a rack of lamb chops so rare. I'm sitting there half naked coming back from the gym, knife in one hand, rack in the other just tearing these things apart...blood, fat, meat everything all over my hands and face, my girlfriend walks in and looks at me like I am a caveman...no joke. It didn't help that I hadn't shaved in a week. It was fantastic.

Gant Grimes
02-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Awesome!

Scott Kustes
02-08-2008, 01:07 PM
That's a story for the ages.

And I regularly eat a pound of meat at night.

Mike ODonnell
02-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Golden rule...if you can catch it...you can eat it! Hence why I hunt at Trader Joes....although they don't appreciate the spear throwing....

sarena kopciel
02-08-2008, 01:43 PM
The other day I cooked a rack of lamb chops so rare. I'm sitting there half naked coming back from the gym, knife in one hand, rack in the other just tearing these things apart...blood, fat, meat everything all over my hands and face, my girlfriend walks in and looks at me like I am a caveman...no joke. It didn't help that I hadn't shaved in a week. It was fantastic.

beware Tarzan meets Jane! :rolleyes:

Mike ODonnell
02-08-2008, 02:15 PM
beware Tarzan meets Jane! :rolleyes:

But every Jane I ever saw in the movies was pretty damn hot! Now where did I leave my leopard skin toga....

sarena kopciel
02-08-2008, 02:19 PM
But every Jane I ever saw in the movies was pretty damn hot! Now where did I leave my leopard skin toga....

Is this a contest for the best Jane or Tarzan?? Only paleo friendly applicants....

Mike ODonnell
02-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Is this a contest for the best Jane or Tarzan?? Only paleo friendly applicants....

That and no Jane applicants from Curves....