PDA

View Full Version : Monster Appetite

Patrick Donnelly
02-09-2008, 04:06 PM
In the past two or three weeks, I've noticed a drastic increase in my calorie intake... I don't weigh and measure my food, but I can estimate the change to be about 3000 -> 4000 calories per day. Around the time this appetite increase happened, the following things were occurring:

- I switched from nuts to nut butters.
- I began to use some olive oil instead of so many nuts.
- I cut back my heavy lifting volume some and dropped most Tabata intervals for an increase in sprint intervals and short MetCons.
- I changed from an odd 4-1-1-1 workout schedule to a 5-2 schedule.
- I continued Paleo/IF/cyclic carb (30-45g per day, refeeding every fifth day, more out of a psychological need than a physiological need).

I haven't noticed any changes in performance, body weight, or body composition... It's just an outrageously ravenous appetite once I break the fast. Last night, my eating window was interrupted by work, limiting my calories, and today I was so hungry I had to break the fast three hours early. It's just a really big change to happen so suddenly. Could anyone please help explain it?

Garrett Smith
02-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Any change in stress levels lately? Digestion?

I don't know how old you are, is there any possibility of a recent growth spurt?

Mike ODonnell
02-10-2008, 02:16 PM
I read an article somewhere (no idea where it is now) about a study done on the effects of a High Protein/Low Fat and High Protein/High Fat Diet on overweight and fit people. To sum up for the overweight people the HP/LF and HP/HF had the same metabolic response (no increases between the 2) vs for a fit person where it showed an increase in metabolism with the HP/HF vs a lower metabolic response HP/LF. So maybe an increase in fat caused the increase in metabolism? Dunno....may have something to do with Leptin output with changes in fat sources? Can't imagein any change is bad as long as there are no negative effects in performance, recovery, body composition or health.

Patrick Donnelly
02-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Any change in stress levels lately? Digestion?

I don't know how old you are, is there any possibility of a recent growth spurt?

No stress. Digestion has improved since I went over to nut butters. I'm 18, 6'1, 175#, and pretty sure I'm near my limit. I may have another inch in me.

Garrett Smith
02-10-2008, 05:40 PM
At 18 and healthy, I'd guess first at a growth spurt, without any other major factors.